Old 02 June 2019, 09:22   #1

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
Towing weights

A mate just got pulled for being overweight using Mitsubishi L200, 2 weeks old and can tow 3.5 ton. Wrong,you can only tow 3.5 ton if using a tri-axle trailer! Police Scotland are seemingly on the case/ball.
Old 02 June 2019, 09:34   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie View Post
A mate just got pulled for being overweight using Mitsubishi L200, 2 weeks old and can tow 3.5 ton. Wrong,you can only tow 3.5 ton if using a tri-axle trailer! Police Scotland are seemingly on the case/ball.

That’s odd, the logbook only specifies the maximum braked & un-braked towing weights, no mention of number of axles. So I wonder what Plod is basing his action on[emoji848]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2019, 10:26   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i think plods wrong as long as everything is rated for the tonage
Old 02 June 2019, 10:47   #4

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
perhaps there is some law stating maximum loads for single twin and tri axle trailers . my single axle is max 1300kg perhaps if the trailer was fitted with two 1300kg axles but weighed 3 ton it would be illegal
Old 02 June 2019, 11:17   #5

Town: always under way
Length: under 3m
Sounds like another bit of police ignorance.
To start with 2019 L200's can tow 3500Kg so no issues there. 2018 models can only tow 3200Kg.
Today you can go and buy a twin axle Ifor GH126 (for example) twin axle plant trailer rated at 3500Kg gross. So generally speaking the fact that it is a twin does not automatically prevent a trailer from carrying 3500Kg.

So provided the trailer is built for 3500Kg and there is no plate limiting axle weight OR anything to do with tyre loading then he should be fine on that.

Lastly did they take him to a weigh bridge........?
Old 02 June 2019, 11:27   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
on the id plate it should show no of axles and weight/axle maybe he got him on it didnt amount to the gross?
Old 02 June 2019, 11:53   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Hook View Post
I suspect it’s more likely that we didn’t get the full story.
Old 02 June 2019, 11:57   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I suspect it’s more likely that we didn’t get the full story.

Agreed
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2019, 12:27   #9

Nothing hidden and not police ignorance, although I hate to say it but they appear to be correct. Its on the the vehicle clearly shown on the ID plate. Dealer confirmed its only 3.5 ton when using tri-axle trailer. Google it. I also thought they were talking shite. That's why I posted this as I know some towing companies are using these trucks.
Old 02 June 2019, 12:29   #10

Quote:
To start with 2019 L200's can tow 3500Kg so no issues there. 2018 models can only tow 3200Kg.
Today you can go and buy a twin axle Ifor GH126 (for example) twin axle plant trailer rated at 3500Kg gross. So generally speaking the fact that it is a twin does not automatically prevent a trailer from carrying 3500Kg.

So provided the trailer is built for 3500Kg and there is no plate limiting axle weight OR anything to do with tyre loading then he should be fine on that.

Lastly did they take him to a weigh bridge........?
Yes, they took him to weight bridge. It can tow the 3500kg but only if on a tri-axle trailer. This is the bit I have never heard about.
Old 02 June 2019, 12:41   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Seems to be a thing. Looks like it's brake related to me...

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-picku...tsubishi-l300/

"The improvement comes courtesy of additional reinforcement to ‘key load-bearing areas’ of the L200’s chassis.
But despite this extra strengthening, the 3.5-tonne towing rating only applies to braked three-axle trailers. When combined with braked one- and two-axle trailers, the L200 remains restricted to 3.1-tonne towing, as it was before."
Old 02 June 2019, 14:08   #12

Town: Cardiff
So it’s L200 specific not general...... I can see a lot of people getting done for this unwittingly as plenty of twin axle trailers are 3.5t rated! Seems unfortunate that it has been allowed........
Old 02 June 2019, 14:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie View Post
Yes, they took him to weight bridge. It can tow the 3500kg but only if on a tri-axle trailer. This is the bit I have never heard about.

OK it's a fair cop. Though the way I read the OP was that the problem was with the trailer not the vehicle. To be fair whilst I jumped the gun a certain outfit are often accused of making up their own rules as they go along.

We bought a late 2018 model L200 in December. We were asked if we wanted to wait for a new 2019 model for the improved towing limit but we couldn't. Whilst the new limit was much celebrated at the dealer nothing was said about any limitations and they knew we wanted to do a lot of towing. I think a lot of people may come unstuck over this.
Old 02 June 2019, 15:37   #14
RIBnet Supporter

TBH, sounds like a swizz to me. Mitzi can big up their stats, but you get an extra axle and wheels, to a degree negating any extra weight you can carry, as opposed to tow.

Old 02 June 2019, 16:10   #15

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Obviously Mitsubishi wanted to keep up with the trend of other manufacturers rating their pickups to 3.5t and found it wasnt stable enough with a twin axle. In my opinion 3.5t is overrated for a 1 tonne pickup. Pickups aren't the best to tow with due the the big overhang behind the wheels. The extra mechanical advantage the trailer has makes them jittery unless the bed is fully loaded. In most other countries our 1 tonne pickups would be rated to carry far less than they do here.
I have a hilux and while its not so bad with my 7.4m delta its horrible with a 3.5 tonne goods trailer even loaded below the vehicles max. Think its rated 2.8tonne which in my opinion is enough for the vehicle. I wouldnt consider any of the 1 tonne pickups to tow 3.5t
Old 02 June 2019, 18:25   #16

Those are some interesting observations on pickups. To be honest despite our intentions we have only towed empty trailers with the L200 so far - although it has been all over the South Downs so happy with the off road performance.

However we also have a Shogun which has been a lean mean towing machine. It has happily towed whatever we have asked of it and to be honest would probably be the vehicle of choice for a heavier load.
Old 02 June 2019, 19:43   #17

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Those are some interesting observations on pickups. To be honest despite our intentions we have only towed empty trailers with the L200 so far - although it has been all over the South Downs so happy with the off road performance.

However we also have a Shogun which has been a lean mean towing machine. It has happily towed whatever we have asked of it and to be honest would probably be the vehicle of choice for a heavier load.
Yep a lot of people don't realise there is a world of difference towing with a shogun style vehicle and a pickup even when they have the same engine and look similar
Old 02 June 2019, 20:04   #18

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I have a hilux and while its not so bad with my 7.4m delta its horrible with a 3.5 tonne goods trailer even loaded below the vehicles max. Think its rated 2.8tonne which in my opinion is enough for the vehicle. I wouldnt consider any of the 1 tonne pickups to tow 3.5t
I also use a Hilux (rated to tow 2800 kg) to tow a 7.4 Redbay (2600 kg). Even with the bed filled with dive bottles and a compressor ~500 kg, the Hilux would still bounce your skeleton from your body if it could! Missing the old Landcruiser....

I've found using a XLWB Mercedes Sprinter: 4.6 t MAM chassis is a more pleasant to pull with though it ends up close to an artic in length. Sadly that boat is too heavy for the Sprinter, hoping to change to a MAN TGE to make that a possibility.
Old 02 June 2019, 20:09   #19

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
For info.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-picku...ks-for-towing/
Old 02 June 2019, 20:15   #20

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by oisin.higgins View Post
Sadly that boat is too heavy for the Sprinter...
The pre 2006 Sprinter's had a higher towing capacity 'out of the box' but I think you can get an add on to the current crop of Sprinters to increase the towing capacity to 3500kg.