Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towing.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	136141

I use one of these for towing....2.8 Pajero. Great on slipways and would pull a house down...probably...not got boat anymore but kept the truck
Old 25 January 2021, 11:20   #62

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
Attachment 136141

I use one of these for towing....2.8 Pajero. Great on slipways and would pull a house down...probably...not got boat anymore but kept the truck
What year ? even the new ones look well down on power and torque compared to some of the common work trucks.
Old 25 January 2021, 11:58   #63

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
What year ? even the new ones look well down on power and torque compared to some of the common work trucks.
Its a 2.8 turbo diesel 1996....chain driven cam so no cambelt. Just came back from the shop in it. Our rib will be moved around with it for fuelling etc. Thinking about changing it but can only afford 5K or so, so any Range rover / Touareg etc could easily come with problems of its own...its a dilemma.
Old 25 January 2021, 19:20   #64

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Most people drive on and off here, those auto latches should always be backed up with the chain latched which the boat driver can do easily by hanging over the front and just clipping it on. Many boats have come off the trailers using a variety of those catches.
I think this applies to any "single point of potential failure". Winch strap failing, winch ratchet failing, Bow eyebolt breaking (I've had that one) etc. So yes absolutely, don't rely on any single fixing. I rope onto the trailer from the Samson post before hauling up the ramp. (edited out)
Old 25 January 2021, 21:42   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
Its a 2.8 turbo diesel 1996....chain driven cam so no cambelt. Just came back from the shop in it. Our rib will be moved around with it for fuelling etc. Thinking about changing it but can only afford 5K or so, so any Range rover / Touareg etc could easily come with problems of its own...its a dilemma.
I had a look at the spec and in all honesty I struggle getting my head around torque in NM compared to HP which you still use in the UK. My bt50 has 147kw and 470nm torque but I wouldn't consider it a powerhouse by any means. I also have an Isuzu Dmax with about the same power and again not earth shattering. I did have a Hyundai santafe 2.2 with twin turbo's which had 440nm torque but was just to soft towing, however it did pick its feet up well even overtaking road trains that sit on 110kh.
Old 25 January 2021, 21:49   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
I think this applies to any "single point of potential failure". Winch strap failing, winch ratchet failing, Bow eyebolt breaking (I've had that one) etc. So yes absolutely, don't rely on any single fixing. I rope onto the trailer from the Samson post before hauling up the ramp. (edited out)
The trouble is that many of these videos promoting the catches only show the boat being used on just the latch. One of the big tv show hosts that promote them were recently launching a brand new boat for their upcoming season and it slid off the trailer 10m from the water. We had several over this Xmas period at our local ramp do the same, one was a local friend of mine who had just been on a sea trial with his new twin 150 Suzuki's, both now out of action waiting new gearboxes, not to mention the hull damage.
Old 26 January 2021, 16:31   #67

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
The trouble is that many of these videos promoting the catches only show the boat being used on just the latch. One of the big tv show hosts that promote them were recently launching a brand new boat for their upcoming season and it slid off the trailer 10m from the water. We had several over this Xmas period at our local ramp do the same, one was a local friend of mine who had just been on a sea trial with his new twin 150 Suzuki's, both now out of action waiting new gearboxes, not to mention the hull damage.
The one on mine is "home-made" but the function relies on the boat being able to slide back about 3 inches from the snubber. That being the case if you had to brake on the ramp you would be relying on the catch re-securing the boat as it rolled back again. I've not got that much faith. Similarly when we're launching the safety chains and winch webbing don't get undone until we're at the water's edge. I just regard it as an aid to getting the boat on and off the trailer without getting my feet wet. Once it's on the level it gets winched the last couple of inches and secured with ratchet straps and safety chains onto both eyelets.
Old 29 January 2021, 12:56   #68

Town: Montrose
Boat name: Ruby Blue
Make: Honwave & SW4800cc
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15 & 60efi
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
There’s a few posts from me around towing. New job now and the option of a lease car or keep the money and buy my own. Currently use 2002 discovery td5 for towing the boat and it does a grand job but now we have a 1350kg caravan and the old disco is showing its age for long family outings.

Boat is 2001 scorpion 8.1m with single engine. Apparently 1000kg dry and it really is a Lightweight boat. Trailer 490kg. Potential 300-400kg of fuel etc.

My quandary is...

Do I get a modern big tow car or end up with two tow cars, one small one large and old. I will be commuting more also. I’ve looked at cayennes, d4, discovery sport, a6, 5series etc. All the usual suspects but I am really nervous of being without low range, I use it on the slip when we are on algie or off the end of the slip on sea bed, and also when I pull boat out of garden as it doesn’t chew the lawn up when the brakes stick on trailer.

Anyone successfully launching and recovering decent sized ribs on slippy slips without low range? Or have any feedback on cars like discovery sports, cayennes or a6s for towing that size?

If I buy myself I’ll be budgeting 15k. Lease car will be less of a problem
Have a look at the new Defender. Just put a deposit on the 110 1st edition D250 with a few extras like advanced tow assist. Comared with a Dsco specced to the same level, it was £10k cheaper.
Old 29 January 2021, 13:59   #69

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by warder54 View Post
Have a look at the new Defender. Just put a deposit on the 110 1st edition D250 with a few extras like advanced tow assist. Comared with a Dsco specced to the same level, it was £10k cheaper.
AA, RAC or Green flag?

Joking aside, enjoy
Old 29 January 2021, 14:06   #70

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

Is that with the 4 or 6 cyl engine?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 15:23   #71

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Is that with the 4 or 6 cyl engine?

I thought that Landrover were stopping using the 4cyl diesel engines in the Defender[emoji848]
Old 29 January 2021, 15:34   #72
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
AA, RAC or Green flag?
Woulda thought ATA came as standard...
Old 29 January 2021, 17:35   #73

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
I thought that Landrover were stopping using the 4cyl diesel engines in the Defender[emoji848]

They’re still being sold with the 4cyl afaik.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 29 January 2021, 21:52   #74

Town: Dunblane
Boat name: Sula
Engine: Suzi 300
Quote:
Be interesting to see if the new Ineos Grenadier, which so closely remembles the original Defender wins over some Land Rover customers on value , but not that cheap either. Also his decision to build the car in France not Wales contrary to his vocal Brexit support may lose him some uk sales. Perhaps it will just boil down to cost and best engine.
Old 02 February 2021, 10:46   #75

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
They’re still being sold with the 4cyl afaik.
I think the ones still being sold with the 4cyl engine are pre-registered vehicles that the dealers have on stock, if you order a new one they will be 6cyl
Old 02 February 2021, 11:03   #76

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
I think the ones still being sold with the 4cyl engine are pre-registered vehicles that the dealers have on stock, if you order a new one they will be 6cyl

[emoji106]

Tags
rib