Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 20 January 2021, 00:57   #21

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
If a slip is really slimey then nothing's going to help past a certain point. I've got a double winch setup, the regular winchpost one to retrieve boat to trailer and another on the drawbar to retrieve trailer to car. Have various lengths of thick rope and carabinas to extend the reach as required. Keep the car on grippy concrete and there's no risk at all.
(sorry this cropped photo is all I have presently)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DoubleWinch.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	136113  
Old 20 January 2021, 01:31   #22

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Was towing with my Hyundai Santafe 2.2 diesel which made easy work of the boats I towed with it. The 4x4 button was there if needed on slippy ramps but in all honestly I never had to use the button. Reversing 2 tons + up my steep drive was also very easy even where part is on grass.

I recently sold the Hyundai and bought an Isuzu Dmax 4x4 3lt diesel which again I haven't had to engage 4x4 or low range at any ramps so far, however I do use low range 4x4 reversing up my drive.

Ive recently (one week ago) picked up a Mazda BT 50 3.2 4x4 which has more torque than the Isuzu (470nm) and both 4x4's have a tow limit of 3.5ton. The Mazda is an auto which makes for easier long distance towing but at the moment Im not fully decided which of these two I will keep.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2492.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	136114  
Old 20 January 2021, 10:35   #23

Boat name: Tempo
Make: Scorpion 8.1 Mk1
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda BF225
qtflash; did you chip the td5?

I have the same boat and a chipped td5 110. Never get rid of your disco!
Old 20 January 2021, 10:41   #24

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
If a slip is really slimey then nothing's going to help past a certain point. I've got a double winch setup, the regular winchpost one to retrieve boat to trailer and another on the drawbar to retrieve trailer to car. Have various lengths of thick rope and carabinas to extend the reach as required. Keep the car on grippy concrete and there's no risk at all.
(sorry this cropped photo is all I have presently)
I’m sure it’s possible but I think that would be an all together more interesting experience with an 8m boat.
Old 20 January 2021, 12:34   #25

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
I can fit a towbar, it’s on the spec list. However I can only claim 11p per mile with lease car or 45p personal. Looks like I will only get £3k per year toward lease so the rest will come out of my pocket ��
Ouch thats not great i had £5k a year car allowance depends what mileage you do, you can claim the difference back on tax return so it helps if you do get 11p a mile I was doing 6k-10k a year mileage might be able to lease something decent for £300 a month if your used to running your own car insurance and servicing wont be an issue and you get it wet to the axles and had it back after 3 years.......
Old 20 January 2021, 13:27   #26

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
We towed our 6.5 Scorpion with an old RR Vogue and then a Discovery for a few years - launching and recovering at Hamble or Mercury. Thought we needed a 4X4. This was all it did and was hardly used for anything else.
Had to rationalise the fleed and the back of the Disco rusted away. Replaced with with a 2005 Volvo XC70 D5 Auto and never had any issues. Towed it a couple of trips to and from Trafalgar Wharf and it was fine on the motorway also.
Now have an XC90 and just the same.
I think in your position I'd be looking at a 2013 or newer Disco 4.
Old 20 January 2021, 14:42   #27

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
...but I am really nervous of being without low range,...
I think there's a bit of confusion between low range and traction. Low range reduces the load on the engine and the torque converter or clutch it does not affect the traction of the tyres on the road surface. It is effectively a very low gear and enables a vehicle to pull a greater load than it could otherwise do, it does not increase traction on a slippery surface, a slippery surface is simply that and that's where the traction control systems come into their own, be it diff and transmission locks or electronic control. Personally, I prefer the mechanical systems over the electronic systems. This is only based on me being able to rescue vehicles with electronic control with my mechanical traction control vehicle, so only based on my experience rather than any technical merit.

If you have no requirement to pull your boat trailer out of a mud sunken or deep sandy situation it's probable that you will be fine without low ratio.

I'm sure you're aware of the corrosion penalty of using an expensive vehicle to launch in salty water!

Since you're familiar with the Disco, it might be a good plan to keep your eye open for a good condition, low mileage older vehicle. Bide your time and keep looking, they do pop up occasionally.
Old 20 January 2021, 16:33   #28

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by otilly View Post
qtflash; did you chip the td5?

I have the same boat and a chipped td5 110. Never get rid of your disco!
Yep..I'd just keep the Disco ....and peace of mind
You won't ruin the Daily Driver...a distinct possibility if you tow a fair bit.. but a bespoke Tow vehicle for an 8m Rib.... if not totally essential IS (and will be) real Boon in the long run
I think you're weights are somewhat "optimistic" and a trip to a public weighbridge would be top of my to do list

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 16:59   #29

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
keep the D2 and just spend a few bob on the chassis, cheap motoring compared to anything else that will tow your rib it's relatively old school technology, no cat, adblu, start/stop etc to go wrong, and D2's are starting to go up in value
Old 20 January 2021, 17:39   #30

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
I have a Cayenne, if I’m honest I haven’t a clue if it has low range or dif locks because I’ve never needed them despite regularly towing 3.5 ton. Just put it into drive and go. Traction control does the rest.

I have a defender 90 puma too but the only time I’d rather tow with that is if it was really shitty at the bottom of a slipway where the all terrain tyres would help. It’s a dreadful tow vehicle as it’s too light and short.

Towing with a manual gearbox is an awful experience compared to automatic.
What year cayenne?
Old 20 January 2021, 18:38   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
I’m sure it’s possible but I think that would be an all together more interesting experience with an 8m boat.
The boats a pig to launch. I’ve just had a 2m extension made. Problem is it’s stepped hull and gets stuck on rollers, bunks, keel rollers etc. The boat is lighter than my old 7.5 and very aft biased for speed. If I took the lumps of oak off the nose I could lift the trailer right off the ground with one hand. I have just pulled the boat 8” further forward on trailer but now it’s close to disco. It is about as large as I would ever trailer and can dominate the road with its size.

I have on occasions got to the water edge then used the bow eye winch post clipped on to tow hook on landrover. I was worried she would tip up though. The other issue with that is the mrs then ends up having to manage the trailer on a rope or winch strap and it will eventually end in tears. She breached the peak last season and the trailer crashed into car. Calshot can be rough and barnicle covered to tie up alongside too so I try to avoid that accept pickups.

Sometimes the boat comes off, sometimes a fast shunt works too but either way I will always be on the bottom of the slip with that boat and trailer, even with my extension.

Like JW I am showing my age and want a mechanical clunk due to experience, However it seems I might be over thinking it based on the majority.

Low range for me allows me to drive over slippy grass with low revs and plenty of torque to avoid wheel slip.

I am thinking I need a moderate car for the caravan and keep the disco for the hard graft. All the big 4x4s I want cost a bomb to run, if I have a big 4x4 on lease I’ll get stung for BIK, if I buy one out my pocket I’ll want a v8 diesel and have to drive the wife’s corsa to Leeds and back 🤣🤣💰💴
Old 20 January 2021, 18:42   #32

The rig.
Old 20 January 2021, 18:44   #33

With a picture this time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E80BE9E7-277D-4F82-8D15-236ADFB150F0.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	136119  
Old 20 January 2021, 18:47   #34

Not modded in anyway although I’d like to do the central diff lock mod and it’s got all the gubbins in box.

What chip you done for td5? She feels a bit asthmatic now next to a modern car but low mileage too
Old 20 January 2021, 19:07   #35

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
I have just pulled the boat 8” further forward on trailer but now it’s close to disco.
Could you not move the axles 8" further back if you have the length at the back of the trailer.

I've tried to consolidate my vehicles but without success.
Old 20 January 2021, 19:37   #36

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
The boats a pig to launch. I’ve just had a 2m extension made. Problem is it’s stepped hull and gets stuck on rollers, bunks, keel rollers etc. The boat is lighter than my old 7.5 and very aft biased for speed. If I took the lumps of oak off the nose I could lift the trailer right off the ground with one hand. I have just pulled the boat 8” further forward on trailer but now it’s close to disco. It is about as large as I would ever trailer and can dominate the road with its size.

I have on occasions got to the water edge then used the bow eye winch post clipped on to tow hook on landrover. I was worried she would tip up though. The other issue with that is the mrs then ends up having to manage the trailer on a rope or winch strap and it will eventually end in tears. She breached the peak last season and the trailer crashed into car.
Sounds like you could do with exploring mods to your trailer. It's all very tricky of course. I've got the two boats, one 8.5 and the other 8mtr. The 8.5 Humber is really heavy, diesel and cabin etc. but it's easier to launch than the 8mtr Delta. The reason is it's very low on the trailer, it's on bunks so there is no space required for the rollers and the pivoting free play they require so the stern of the boat floats by the time the car rear wheels are getting close to the water's edge. It can be so low because the axles are V shaped so the hull is also low in the V. It has two design limitations though, the mudguards need to be just enough clearance above the wheels to also clear the hull and it's not possible to lower the drive fully when the trailer is attached to the car.

The Delta is on rollers but it doesn't float off because of the necessary height so it's a pest. Like you, if the trailer was disconnected from the car it would tip up so disconnection is a no-no. Then there is all the care needed in being sure to not release the winch too early and having to push the boat back with just a little slack until it finally begins to float. In your case you've got to get it floating , or at least floating enough to get the steps over the rearward rollers. Then you've got to get aboard but it's deep in the water etc. it's just a serious hassle that the low and bunked Humber doesn't have. So I'd be thinking seriously about the possibility of a trailer modification or change.

Quote:
Calshot can be rough and barnicle covered to tie up alongside too so I try to avoid that accept pickups.
Same here. The Humber has big strake so it's ok but the Delta has low, smooth strip, 3 fenders over the side longitudinally does the job. Just flip them inside for travelling.

Quote:
Low range for me allows me to drive over slippy grass with low revs and plenty of torque to avoid wheel slip.
Yeah, it does that for me too, nice and slow and gentle does it.

Quote:
I am thinking I need a moderate car for the caravan and keep the disco for the hard graft.
I agree.

I mentioned keeping a lookout for a good old 4x4, I was serious about that. A couple of years ago my old Jeep was getting towards the end of its life, no rush to replace and just kept looking. A 2004 Grand Cherokee 2.7 crd popped up with just 27k miles, pretty much like new. Job done, still have it, beats the old Disco by a fair margine.

Anyway, good luck with it all.
Remember to come back and let us all know how it pans out!
Old 20 January 2021, 20:13   #37
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
keep the D2 and just spend a few bob on the chassis, cheap motoring compared to anything else that will tow your rib it's relatively old school technology, no cat, adblu, start/stop etc to go wrong, and D2's are starting to go up in value
This is why I still have the same Hilux Surf after 9 years.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 20:25   #38

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
The boats a pig to launch. I’ve just had a 2m extension made. Problem is it’s stepped hull and gets stuck on rollers, bunks, keel rollers etc.
Would a roller bunk work better with the hull steps?
Old 20 January 2021, 21:08   #39

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Buy a sealegs?
Old 20 January 2021, 22:01   #40

Town: Barnstaple
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Buy a sealegs?

Tags
rib