Old 19 January 2010, 18:19   #21

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
If I can add another thought on all this, re the operators license side of it, a few years ago I was involved in a company than ran both artics and rigids used in the oil exploration business, these trucks were running at full gross weight all the time, but were not used for hire and reward as such, so we had them on what was known as a restricted o license, which was meant that no CPC was needed,as we were only transporting our own equipment, but one of the conditions was that the vehicles had to be inspected every 3 months by a recognised service centre.
If we as Boat hirer's / charters are transporting our own boats and not towing for hire or reward you shouldn't need the full O license, and I cant really see the powers that be making us get safety inspections on Land Rovers etc.
One other side of this was that we didn't have to use Tachos. Don't know if this option is still available.
But I guess I had it any which way you look at it !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01242.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	48766  
Old 19 January 2010, 20:07   #22

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
from what i remember their was 2 types of operators licence ,,, blue for carrage of other persons goods eg general haulage /parcel deliverys /hire and reward and the orange licence was for own purporse such as plant /equipment /tools for the job, but you couldent carry anything for anyone else for money or reward on the orange .only your own stuff ,,,,,dont know if the laws changed but another one was ,a recovery truck needs no tacograph or m.o.t. cetificate if it is used for moving a crashed car from the roadside to the nearest garage or base ,but if say the car is then to be taken elsewhere for repair or scrapping it is then classed as vehicle transport and then mot /taco/drivers hours is needed ,
Old 19 January 2010, 20:11   #23

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
I used to run skip lorries on an orange in London
Old 23 January 2010, 15:30   #24

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
There is a get out clause in that if you are towing equipment that you personally are going to use within a 60mile radius you usually don't need a tachograph.
So technically if you are going to drive the boat when you arrive you should be OK
Old 01 April 2010, 11:11   #25

Town: North Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mary Olwen
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
There is a get out clause in that if you are towing equipment that you personally are going to use within a 60mile radius you usually don't need a tachograph.
So technically if you are going to drive the boat when you arrive you should be OK
Nearly right.

Provided the driver's main activity isn't the driving (i.e. they're part of the boat crew), and you're within 50km of your base of operations, then you don't need a tacho.

I now have this in writing () from our regional VOSA office.