Old 30 August 2017, 08:33   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Swing beam purpose

My current trailer has non swing rollers and sometimes I struggle on shallow slips. I was trying to work out how or if a swing beam would help me, as it is a stepped hull.

I was observing the different trailer styles at the slip the other day. I genuinely do not understand the advantage of a swing beam roller assembly in comparison to straight assemblies like a bunk or roller bunk. My previous swing beam trailer used to work very well, however on recovery it was like driving up a mountain until the tipping point was reached, which caused the stern to dip in the shallow water. The only major advantage I can think of is weight distribution? Am I missing the obvious?
Old 30 August 2017, 12:47   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
My current trailer has non swing rollers and sometimes I struggle on shallow slips. I was trying to work out how or if a swing beam would help me, as it is a stepped hull.

I was observing the different trailer styles at the slip the other day. I genuinely do not understand the advantage of a swing beam roller assembly in comparison to straight assemblies like a bunk or roller bunk. My previous swing beam trailer used to work very well, however on recovery it was like driving up a mountain until the tipping point was reached, which caused the stern to dip in the shallow water. The only major advantage I can think of is weight distribution? Am I missing the obvious?

On a non swing beam trailer, the hull acts as the fulcrum, so the weight of the boat is concentrated on one point of the hull, add a bit of physics into it (moments about a point) & you could be stressing the hull massively. This is why an un-hitched trailers nose will be 6' in the air when you try to winch a boat onto it. A swing beam allows the hull to sit in the cradle & the pivot point is transferred to the trailer chassis whilst the hull is supported in the cradle.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 September 2017, 22:20   #3

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
personally I too am not convinced by swing beams ,I always load with dry brakes and when I did this with swing beam the rollers run over the tubes of the rib ,which I felt could not be good plan ,I went to genuine roller bunk and athough expensive I reckon its well worth it , however I totally see the fulcrum point theory as well
Old 07 September 2017, 23:51   #4

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
WhenThe more YouTube videos I watch the more I am unconvinced they spread the load.
Old 08 September 2017, 23:34   #5

Town: penzance
Boat name: not named
Make: ski boat
Engine: 150 HPDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
WhenThe more YouTube videos I watch the more I am unconvinced they spread the load.
I feel they spread the load, but it's pretty much a static load that I think any boat can take, Anyone ever heard any cracking sounds when pivoting on a single roller?
Old 09 September 2017, 06:24   #6

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
The swing beam is akin to pulling the boat up a ramp rather than dragging it over an edge. Different slipways will yield different results but I would say they were generally beneficial.
Old 09 September 2017, 06:32   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
The swing beam is akin to pulling the boat up a ramp rather than dragging it over an edge. Different slipways will yield different results but I would say they were generally beneficial.

100%[emoji106] over the years I've recovered boats in all sorts of scenarios. Most of the time, in ideal conditions, the swing beam has played little part. On the occasions when I've needed it, it's been a boat saver.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2017, 07:25   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Swing beam works for me more on shallow retrieve than on launch, so wouldn't be without it now.
Old 30 September 2017, 22:39   #9

Town: London
Boat name: Jeepster
Make: Marina 16 GT
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 30
1) They make it far easier to launch and recover a boat....Allows you to do it on your own.
2) You don't have to dunk your axles in the water to launch your boat (just roll the trailer back till the tyres just touch the water, and your boat is ready for launch!)...So your bearings will not require constant maintenance, saving you boat time and money.
Old 11 October 2017, 06:50   #10

Town: glasgow
Boat name: black cat
Make: redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 140hp
Hi
As stated above if you are beach launching and recovering the swing beam will act like a ramp as long as you dont put it in to deep which is what we see all the time. Drive it on or clip it on and then use the winch handle. Swing beams work great if used correctly but many people put them far to deep in the water.
To give you a better idea we often need to winch boats on from hard standings for lots of silly reasons and the swing beam means it is easy.