Old 12 August 2011, 12:59   #1

Boat name: Searider 4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude 50hp
sealed bearings

Is there any sense in using sealed bearings on a RIB trailer? They seem to be a bit cheaper and don't (can't) be serviced. Or in practise do they always let water in and you end up losing whatever you save by having to replace them every time you launch?

Cheers
Old 12 August 2011, 13:53   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Ed try a search on sealed bearings or Alko etc etc .

I use em and normally get a year out of each pair BUT don't take any chances if you think the bearing is on it's way out.

They have to be properly maintained . ( Pressed out with a fly press or something similar , and replaced with copious amounts of decent quality marine grease . There is also a theoretical limit on how many times you can press new bearings into any one hub but I don't lose too much sleep over this )

There has even been a suggestion that you can split , inspect and re-grease sealed bearings but I don't believe anyone actually does that , other than in a short trip emergency

If I were starting off from scratch , I would probably go with taper bearings that are easy to properly service and re-grease , but you pays your money and takes your choice !

ALWAYS let your wheels/hubs/bearings cool right down after any trip before you launch or recover.
Old 12 August 2011, 16:35   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddd View Post
Is there any sense in using sealed bearings on a RIB trailer? They seem to be a bit cheaper and don't (can't) be serviced. Or in practise do they always let water in and you end up losing whatever you save by having to replace them every time you launch?

Cheers
I've had trailers with both types, taper roller with bearing savers & Al-Ko sealed. TBH I'm so paranoid that I change them yearly regardless of their condition. BUT the sealed type do seem to be in decent nick when I take them off & I could probably run them for 2 seasons without any great problems. On the whole, the sealed Al-ko type seem marginally better than "normal" taper bearings. My main PITA is brake shoes, the rust gets between the shoe & the friction material & spalls it off. I've just changed both axles at £54 quid a go.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 20:33   #4

Town: sheffield
Boat name: barracuda
Make: Humber 7.6 mts
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200HP mercury
hi
the best item i fitted was bearing savers on the end of each bearing hub
this has a spring at the end a with a so is always pumping grease into the bearing so water cannot get in on my last trailer these were fitted and i never tuched the bearings got over 8 years
try them
Bearing Savers (HU8)
Replaces the standard hub cap (50.25mm diameter), keeps a pressure of grease on the bearings which helps to extend the life of the bearings by keeping water away from the bearings. Ideal for boat trailers. (One Pair)

Price £27.53 incl.VAT
Price £27.53 incl.VAT

web site
Bearings for Indespension hubs & drums from Western Towing

thanks
stephen
Old 16 August 2011, 21:12   #5

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneyre
hi
the best item i fitted was bearing savers on the end of each bearing hub
this has a spring at the end a with a so is always pumping grease into the bearing so water cannot get in on my last trailer these were fitted and i never tuched the bearings got over 8 years
try them
Bearing Savers (HU8)
Replaces the standard hub cap (50.25mm diameter), keeps a pressure of grease on the bearings which helps to extend the life of the bearings by keeping water away from the bearings. Ideal for boat trailers. (One Pair)

Price £27.53 incl.VAT
Price £27.53 incl.VAT

web site
Bearings for Indespension hubs & drums from Western Towing

thanks
stephen
The bearing savers work very well for me too.