Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Hopefully the flushing system doesn't flush the bearings...

Brakes, yes, though I haven't seen a great benefit to the fresh water kit(though to be fair, I dunk the trailer Sat morning, and don't flush the brakes til Sunday night after 3 additional splashings and a 100 mile drive...)

Assuming you have roller bearings, the best things you can do are to keep them greased and allow time for them to cool after arriving at the launch location. And replace them every couple of years or so.

jky
And fit bearing savers.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 23:22   #22

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Another question...

I've been looking at Dixon-Bate Rapide trailers (because that is what both Osprey and Ribcraft quoted for) and the SBS trailers. List prices for the DB models seem to be massively higher than SBS for more or less the same trailer spec - why? Is it worth it, are they stupidly overpriced, or are there huge discounts to the dealers?

For example an SBS R4/1800EL is £2504, whereas the equivalent twin axle Rapide R4B61 is £3628 and actually has a lower load rating. Going on the prices on one website showing both brands, you can have a twin axle 1400kg SBS for the same price as a single axle 1100kg Rapide, which is both a bit silly, and an easy decision, unless I am missing something important?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2010, 06:27   #23

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
People rave on about the DB trailers being the best money can buy. This may be a result of clever marketing and/or inflated prices, making people think they're getting a better product, 'cos they're spending more dosh.
I bought a used RIB last summer, which came with a DB unbraked trailer. I can honestly say that, aside from the step/mudguards, I see little/no difference in the spec compared with a less costly unbraked roller trailer. Incidentally, it has an ALKO axle with sealed bearings (I've always found these to be fine on unbraked trailers). IIRC this trailer would have retailed at £1000+ which I don't consider to be good value for money, compared with £750-ish for an equivalent trailer from a different manufacturer.
Old 11 May 2010, 21:09   #24

Back on trailers...

Does anybody know anything about the new SBS "Drive On Bunk" - there is a poor photo in the brochure on their website but it isn't clear what the difference is between this and a "normal bunk" which they also make?

Old 11 May 2010, 21:21   #25
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
That makes sense now. I've clocked BFO bunked SBS rigs at Redbay that have multiple keel rollers. Didn't see them on the SBS site. I guess the rollers carry the bulk of the weight on loading then she will favour a side and lodge.
Old 12 May 2010, 00:40   #26

Any chance of getting a better photo of these? The SBS brochure on their site has a picture of a boat on a trailer but it's a side-on view and the keel arrangement is not clear. I've emailed SBS about something else but they've not replied to that yet. The side bunks appear to be bigger and full length, but I'm not sure about the keel rollers.

It may suit my needs better than the standard model.

Old 12 May 2010, 09:46   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Sorry Stephen, no pics to hand. I'll be up there next week so I'll have a peek for one.

It was a larger trailer I saw - probably for an 8m rib. The whole thing looked very solid with a lot of rollers and very sturdy long bunks.

FWIW, my SBS R4/2000EL is into it's third season. The ALKO bearings seem to be holding up and she's still breaking ok. Overall a very sturdy trailer. I did have to replace a roller (clipped it) and SBS had a pair in the post that day - good lads I thought. The rollers on mine are an odd size (i.e. not what you see for sale on most websites) so if you have some on your trailer, a couple of spares might be a good idea. Of course, welding a washer on would work too .

Make sure you spec a spare wheel too, they're an extra with SBS!
Old 12 May 2010, 10:37   #28

I'm looking at getting a single axle now because I *think* you can get them with 5x165 M16 hubs, which is the same as a Land Rover wheel, meaning I can shove some flotation tyres on it to give both a softer ride and less drag on soft ground. I'm waiting for an answer back from SBS on this - the 165 PCD wheels are shown as a spare on their website in the 185/70R13 size fitted to the R2/1800 trailer, but it's not clear what the trailer has as standard. And I can always add another axle the same later on, to give a beast of a trailer

Old 12 May 2010, 10:48   #29

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
My trailer has that size wheel/hub on an Avonride axle.