Old 29 December 2012, 14:19   #1

Town: Peterborough
Boat name: Swift Sarah
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 30hp
Rubber doughnut trailer suspension

So, this may not be on my on inflatable boat trailer, however hopefully someone can help anyway!

This is my winter river cruiser project I picked up a few months ago. It's at home on the driveway and I'm giving the trailer a full overhaul.

Today I ripped the mudguards and wheels off to tackle the bearings, at which point I noticed these old-skool rubber doughnut type suspension rings. I've done a bit of Googling and they seem slightly similar to the rubber doughnuts old mini's were fitted pre-springs, however definitely not the same.

Anyone seen this before? And if so, know where I could get replacements?

I know my other option would be to remove the stub axles and mini hubs, then fit indespension axles to each side, but this is likely to be expensive - so any cheaper suggestions would be very welcome!

PS. I've read on the forum many times about checking bearings when buying a new trailer and I always advise my friends to. On this occasion I didn't take my own advice as it was only about 20 miles away. Definitely should've - left side doesn't spin - right side is grinding horrendously. Surprised I made it home - lesson learnt.
Old 30 December 2012, 09:55   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Looks like a 'throw away and start again' project. Keep an eye out for a good used trailer.
Old 30 December 2012, 11:10   #3

Had a feeling someone might say that. And if I hadn't fitted a new winch, jockey wheel, serviced the coupling and painted the front end I'd probably agree!

Any suggestions to keep this alive?

There's a set of 600kg suspension units on eBay for about £60 that take the mini hubs and wheels. Only problem I see is the axle beam sits on top of the long draw bar instead of below. Would this be a problem?
Old 30 December 2012, 11:40   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
See what trailer guy says.
Old 31 December 2012, 18:06   #5

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
Am I that predictable?!... I guess I am!

Acutally I have a trailer with a similar suspension design, that was made in East Germany, so it's getting on a bit, but is fantastically designed and completely rust free (fully galvanised etc). Anyway, I digress...

Used to be in to minis a bit myself. How about something like this?....

Pair of Mini Rubber Suspension Cones Original Dunlop Metric Thread | eBay

They're a metric thread, so would be easy to bolt to your suspension arm. Measure the width of the inverted 'C' channel, to ensure they'll fit in there.

New hubs should cost you around £15 each, complete with bearings etc.

If that's no good, how about buying one vehicle suspension spring (again C channel diameter and boat weight allowing), cut it in half and welding that in place? Keep it painted and your suspension won't fail again.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2012, 19:03   #6

Cheers Trailer Guy, I'd seen a few of your posts and was hoping you'd reply!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've emailed the seller of those cones asking for dimensions, hopefully they'll fit, and do the job. I'd rather keep it as a similar setup, as it's likely to be cheapest, plus no welding facilities at mine. Seems to work well actually - nice design.

As for the hubs. I've only ever replaced the bearings - is it worth doing the hubs as well? I was looking at about £10 for each bearing set anyway, so if it's not much more for the hubs, may as well.

This is the coupling on the trailer. It's an old Bradley type. Was in a real state with a broken locking spring. Found a service kit on ebay for less than a tenner and with a bit of paint came up quite nice:

Old 02 January 2013, 12:53   #7

Nice job. Always good to see something resurrected

Yup, wouldn't bother with just bearings, on an unbraked hub, just change the whole lot. If they're 1" taper roller bearings, on a hub with a 4" PCD, then they should cost you around £15 each, complete with bearings, studs and nuts and dust cap etc.
Old 02 January 2013, 21:21   #8

Just won a pair of the rubber cones on ebay auction for £22.95 including postage. Worth giving it a go. The C-channel measures 12cm wide, and the cone at its widest point is 13.5cm, so I'm sure the skinnier lip should fit in.

Once I receive them I'll try tackling undoing the bolts.

As for the hubs, they're Mini ones, with Mini 10" wheels. I've got standard 4" PCDs with tapers on the SIB trailer and these are definitely different. Any recommendations of places to get cheap hubs with bearings?

Cheers for the help
Old 02 January 2013, 21:32   #9

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbavvo View Post
So, this may not be on my on inflatable boat trailer, however hopefully someone can help anyway!

This is my winter river cruiser project I picked up a few months ago. It's at home on the driveway and I'm giving the trailer a full overhaul.

Today I ripped the mudguards and wheels off to tackle the bearings, at which point I noticed these old-skool rubber doughnut type suspension rings. I've done a bit of Googling and they seem slightly similar to the rubber doughnuts old mini's were fitted pre-springs, however definitely not the same.

Anyone seen this before? And if so, know where I could get replacements?

I know my other option would be to remove the stub axles and mini hubs, then fit indespension axles to each side, but this is likely to be expensive - so any cheaper suggestions would be very welcome!

PS. I've read on the forum many times about checking bearings when buying a new trailer and I always advise my friends to. On this occasion I didn't take my own advice as it was only about 20 miles away. Definitely should've - left side doesn't spin - right side is grinding horrendously. Surprised I made it home - lesson learnt.
They look similar to a system that was around in the 70's as leaf spring assisters. I believe the company was called Aon or something similar. Did a quick google but nothing came up, probably bought out by another company?
Old 05 January 2013, 18:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
They look similar to a system that was around in the 70's as leaf spring assisters. I believe the company was called Aon or something similar. Did a quick google but nothing came up, probably bought out by another company?
You're a hero. The Mini suspension units hadn't arrived yet, but decided to tackle the bolt (look like it's an angle grind job), however by twisting the rubber cone round I could just make out the manufacturer name: 'Aeon Hollow Ruber'.

They've been brought out by another company and are now trade through 'Timbren' Timbren Aeon Hollow Rubber Springs - however the rubber springs are still branded as Aeron. The units on my trailer are double convolution springs.

Here's an installation guide: Installing AEON Rubber Springs - Timbren
Here's the UK dealer: Ride Solutions

Only just sent an email, so no reply as yet, fingers crossed they can sort me out.

Cheers!
Old 05 January 2013, 18:50   #11

Just found the following company too who seem to offer something similar:

Rubber Mounts | Bobbin Mounts

Sent them an email requesting information. Fingers crossed it'll be a cheap fix.
Old 05 January 2013, 20:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbavvo View Post
You're a hero. The Mini suspension units hadn't arrived yet, but decided to tackle the bolt (look like it's an angle grind job), however by twisting the rubber cone round I could just make out the manufacturer name: 'Aeon Hollow Ruber'.
Cheers!
+1 nicely done Rokraider
Old 06 January 2013, 19:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
+1 nicely done Rokraider
UK distributor replied, turns out they're in the same county as me, perfect!

Exact same model rubber suspension units available and in stock, priced at £24.65 + VAT each, including delivery. They've also got a combined gross weight of 900kgs - from the installation instructions it's a simple nut, bolt and bush job. Thanks to you both!

Stripped the left hand hub off too, looks in good nick, so just going to replace bearings. Right hand split pin is seized in the shaft - both ends were sheared off trying to remove the thing - so going to drill it out. Hoping the hub is in good condition on that side too.
Old 05 March 2013, 18:18   #14

Just thought I'd write a little follow up...suspension ordered and fitted (after plenty of snapped drill bits getting the old bolts out).

Thanks a heap for remembering the name.

Also, gave the hubs a coat of paint, added the grease nipples and they're ready for bearings:

Glad I didn't go with the scrapping advice. It's cost me £100 to do the suspension, bearings, put new mudguards and jockey wheel on - plus a bit of Hammerite to finish it off - well worth it.
Old 07 March 2013, 21:13   #15

All's well that ends well

Nicely done, Sir!