Old 15 February 2015, 19:12   #1

Re: New sib - tow car.

Sold my Honda CRV 2.2 CDTI and replaced it with a VW Tiguan 2.0TD in November.

The Honda was OK but I didn't particularly rate the engine and gear box - no low end grunt and noisy when revved!!

VW engine has proved to be a sweeter unit - more low end grunt and quieter all round!

VW road manners are proving to be better than the CRV thus far just - wondering about its soft road credentials?

Anyone use a Tiguan for launch / recovery of RIB / SIB from slippery slipways, shingle and sandy beaches?

I'm hoping it will be up to the job of launching and recovering my 3.5m sib with 20hp 4 stroke and trailer.

From previous experiences the CRV needed to be backed up and given a few running attempts to get over some sand and shingle banks where I launch and retrieve.

I'll keep a rope handy just in case.
Was going to go for a Touareg but it is a bit too thirsty.

Any of you guys got experience of the VW Tiguan?
Old 15 February 2015, 20:46   #2

Town: east lothian
Boat name: Stengah
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 100
vw tiguan

Hi,

I use a 2008 tiguan escape 2.0 tdi auto to launch and retrieve a 6m humber destroyer from slips & sandy beaches all over Scotland. All up weight about 1400 kg. On normal road tyres I have been astounded at the performance on towing out of the water, up the beach ( though I use momentum over soft dry sand ) and up a steep grassy bank it has never once struggled. This suv was for me a downsize from a full size 4x4 and on the first recovery I had a team of guys ready to push - not required at all.

hope this is of interest

regards

jim
Old 15 February 2015, 22:48   #3

Cheers Jim that's good to know.

I've just put 4 brand new Kumho KH17s on the Tiguan .
My local 4 x 4 dealer recommended these tyres as his wife runs a Tiguan on them.
He stated that he was astounded by the Tiguans recent performance in the snow with these tyres but couldn't comment on sand / shingle characteristics.
My set up is probably in the region of 350kgs all in so light weight in comparison to yours.
Towbar is being fitted tomorrow so hope to get on the water soon.
I have a 1250kg caravan which I intend to tow with the Tiguan and retire my 56 plate 2.2 tdci Mondeo from lugging around.
I'm sure it will be up to the job.
Fingers crossed!