Old 18 April 2021, 14:06   #1

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Rav4

Hi, is anyone using a hybrid RAV4 for a tow vehicle? As that looks like my next choice of car when this one dies?

It will be pulling up to a 5,5m RIb, how would it get on with beaches, slips etc?

Thanks Dave
Old 18 April 2021, 17:25   #2

Town: Falmouth
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yam 150F
Hi,
No idea how the Rav4 hybrid works, but, I recently had Volvo XC60 hybrid on hire, I was returning from an offshore trip, so thought I'd try it on a journey from Heathrow back home to Cornwall. As a car it was lovely to drive as you'd expect from a Volvo....Would I consider changing my Discovery 4 for one....no bloody chance!!

I set off with almost a fully charged battery, all very nice leaving Heathrow and getting onto the M4, very smooth and quiet, but then the engine cut in almost immediately. I have to say it was bloody rapid if you floored it with the engine and motor working together, but, in a very short time I was running on the engine alone as the battery was almost flat.....27 mpg at cruising speed....worse than my Disco.

So, I can see the argument that if most of your trips are short trips and you can drive it on the battery only for these trips then ok, you've got low running costs if not burning fuel. You've just got to accept that you're going to have high running costs (as per a Disco) on longer journeys, I'd also expect the battery would be depleted very quickly and the engine used to assist all the time whilst towing.

The other issue I had with the Volvo and the main reason I wouldn't buy one, the petrol engine drives the front wheels and electric motor the rear wheels....so only a 4x4 if you've got battery power. Now I know for a lot of buyers this wouldn't put them off, personally, if I'm buying a 4x4 I want that capability all the time not just when I've got the battery power.

I'm sure the boffins at Volvo have a button or you can tell the iPad thingy that controls everything on the dash that you want to keep some battery power but not for me yet.

There's no doubt that in X years time we'll all be in electric and raving how powerful and wonderful towing cars they are, lets face it, max torque at all rpm has to be good for towing, but, I'll be staying clear until the next generation of batteries comes out with longer range and rapid charging.

Just my personal thoughts and experience, don't wan't to offend anyone who has an electric car
Old 18 April 2021, 23:37   #3

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
https://www.thetowcarawards.com/tow-car/toyota-rav4-4/ -pick your weapon

The bigger and heavier the tow vehicle the better.
There are compromises attached to boat ownership. When you have to tow safely there are significant benefits to heavy 4wd vehicles.
Hybrids have heavy batteries to accommodate so it depends on how far you have to tow and how comfortable you want to feel.

Happy shopping.

* when I bought our first rib we saw a brand new Maserati in the marina car park. I salivated but my, then young, son said “ what about the towing capacity Dad?” He was, of course, correct.
Old 20 April 2021, 13:13   #4

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on 4x4 hybrids. It would be great if anyone on here has actually got one and can comment from experience having used it on slips beaches etc.

I know the bigger heavier traditional 4x4 are great but currently have a Qashqai 4x4 and it does for me, so I am definitely not used to the bigger stuff.

Thanks Dave
Old 20 April 2021, 17:32   #5

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I went through this loop when replacing my trusty 2l diesel X-Trail a couple of years ago.

I liked the eco-benefits and cleaner air of a hybrid, or even lean-burn petrol over diesel.. BUT there was nothing on the market that works with the towing capacity and 4WD and overall fuel efficiency (certainly not in my price range of £30k max)

I settled fro a Skoda Kodiaq 2l diesel and it's a great, although roomer than I actually need. If the slightly smaller model - Kamaq? had been our then I'd have considered that.

With the Kodiaq on a normal run I get 50+mpg and 29-30 when towing. I don't (well Lockdown apart) do many short journeys), diesel does unfortunately make sense. I'n getting over 20% more fuel efficiency - thus less emissions and carbon, on top of a more modern cleaner engine as well. Not perfect, but a considerable improvement on what I had before.

Maybe considering the reduction in carbon and pollutants in a new car for what you now have is the benchmark, and we'll get the in stages.
Old 21 April 2021, 13:10   #6

Town: Poole
Boat name: ORCA III
Make: XS500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 60hp
Can`t understand why petrol engine is used in hybrids, surely diesel is more economical,and nowadays a lot cleaner than they used to be.
this would help with greater towing capacity.
Old 21 April 2021, 18:12   #7

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickter View Post
Can`t understand why petrol engine is used in hybrids, surely diesel is more economical,and nowadays a lot cleaner than they used to be.
this would help with greater towing capacity.
Whilst Engine power & particularly torque makes a huge difference to the usability of a tow vehicle, it doesn't affect rated towing capacity much if at all. Rated capacity is based more on structural and braking capabilities of the vehicle so it's possible a heavier diesel lump might result in a lower towing capacity, counter-intuitive though that feels
Old 21 April 2021, 19:50   #8

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
Hi, is anyone using a hybrid RAV4 for a tow vehicle? As that looks like my next choice of car when this one dies?

It will be pulling up to a 5,5m RIb, how would it get on with beaches, slips etc?

Thanks Dave
Currently have disco 4 and happy however its 5 years old now and have just had my final included service ,athough i like the disco 5 ,i think its time to shrink a little ,like yourself rav 4 but higher up the list for me is Subaru forester or evan outback ,have had several subarus in the family over the years and they used to be best of best ,not sure this is still true or how the forrester hybrid works out ,towing weights are good but after that i don,t know !
Old 22 April 2021, 09:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
Whilst Engine power & particularly torque makes a huge difference to the usability of a tow vehicle, it doesn't affect rated towing capacity much if at all. Rated capacity is based more on structural and braking capabilities of the vehicle so it's possible a heavier diesel lump might result in a lower towing capacity, counter-intuitive though that feels
just read a comparison test from caravan club using two tiguans with 2l engines, and petrol was 10 mpg thirstier than the diesel,although all other tests were comparable .
Old 22 April 2021, 09:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
just read a comparison test from caravan club using 2l vw`s and petrol was 10 mpg thirstier than the diesel,although all other tests were comparable .
Old 27 April 2021, 21:50   #11

My company's just issued a change to car policy saying all cars...both company supplied and those who have "opted out" getting a (very inadequate cash payment unchanged for 12 years) MUST be fully electric by 2026. This is "exciting" and "innovative". Not sure what the all electric 4WD with 1.5t towing capacity will be.
Old 28 April 2021, 14:32   #12

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
My company's just issued a change to car policy saying all cars...both company supplied and those who have "opted out" getting a (very inadequate cash payment unchanged for 12 years) MUST be fully electric by 2026. This is "exciting" and "innovative". Not sure what the all electric 4WD with 1.5t towing capacity will be.
Are they guaranteeing access to chargers in the workplace
Old 28 April 2021, 17:47   #13

Town: Bournemouth
Make: Merc OceanRunner 350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 20 EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
by 2026, electric 4x4's will almost definitely be better for towing than most diesel 4x4's of today. With ever improving batteries and outputs, range, charging time and performance, in 2026 manufacturers will favour electric over diesel or petrol offerings.

The 4x4 system isn't a worry as electric 4x4's now use 2 motors, and it is possible by then there will be a motor to drive each wheel on 4x4 electric cars. Also with the instant torque of an electric motor, and with the ability to fine tune each motors output, the ability to maintain traction and control power delivery should be exceptional.

That said, I totally see your concerns as the infrastructure isn't currently there, but with another 4-5 years of developments, they will control the industry.
Old 28 April 2021, 17:54   #14

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuty View Post
by 2026, electric 4x4's will almost definitely be better for towing than most diesel 4x4's of today. With ever improving batteries and outputs, range, charging time and performance, in 2026 manufacturers will favour electric over diesel or petrol offerings.

The 4x4 system isn't a worry as electric 4x4's now use 2 motors, and it is possible by then there will be a motor to drive each wheel on 4x4 electric cars. Also with the instant torque of an electric motor, and with the ability to fine tune each motors output, the ability to maintain traction and control power delivery should be exceptional.

That said, I totally see your concerns as the infrastructure isn't currently there, but with another 4-5 years of developments, they will control the industry.
Thats a very optimistic view, lets hope they come up with a vhs equivalent as the current crop are tomorrow's betamax.
Old 28 April 2021, 18:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Thats a very optimistic view, lets hope they come up with a vhs equivalent as the current crop are tomorrow's betamax.
it is but, just a couple of years ago, electric cars struggled to do 200 miles on a charge and took an age to recharge. With fast chargers now allowing up to 20miles of range a minute, a 300 mile range electric car becomes closer to 500 miles with a stop at the motorway services to order a takeaway coffee and use the loos.

I think this is a sign of what is to come with electric cars
Old 28 April 2021, 18:09   #16

P.S. sorry for the thread hijack
Old 29 April 2021, 08:27   #17

Town: Falmouth
Engine: Yam 150F
The downside of the current battery tech is you can't continually do a rapid charge with the batteries without killing the life expectancy. It's also true for how you use the batteries. Offshore, survey companies use the latest lithium batteries in AUVs (Autonomous underwater vehicles) for survey. If the batteries are cycled from 100% basically 0% then the batteries can last as little as 2 years life expectancy, if there cycled from 80% to 20% then they can last around 5 years life expectancy.

There's no doubt technology is moving on, and electric will become the front runner but battery technology just needs to take that next step forward.

I also believe that once the charging/range issue is sorted with new battery tech, we'll see the big manufactures starting to offer electric outboards in the higher HP ranges. I mean what could possibly go wrong....people walking round marinas with high voltage cables and water
Old 29 April 2021, 18:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Are they guaranteeing access to chargers in the workplace
No they aren't guaranteeing anything
No detail just the announcement.
Will be interesting to see what they propose tp pay for mileage - difficult to provide a receipt or accurately cost for the electricity used to charge at home.