Old 27 September 2013, 17:31   #1

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
Question about stainless steel brake cables

My twin axle trailer doesn't have covered brake cables - just bare galvanised steel wire connected to the various pulleys, adjusters, etc.

I'd like to slowly start replacing the parts, since things are looking a bit corroded, so I ordered some 5mm stainless steel wire and s/s wire grips to replace the main cable length.

I thought I'd measured it all OK, but I've just discovered, stupidly, that the length I ordered (8m) is too short. The cable I ordered is 5mm 7x7 stainless steel cable.

Couple of questions:

Taking the old galvanised cable off, it's much less flexible than the new cable and is , I guess, 1x19 construction. So, I'm now concerned that the nice flexible 7x7 cable might not be the right type - would it stretch and make the brakes less effective? i.e. is 7x7 5mm stainless steel ok?

Secondly, the boat's not on the trailer at the moment, but goes back on this Sunday. I really wanted to change the cables before it went back on. Does anyone know a supplier near to Southampton who would have 5mm 7x7 stainless steel cable and is open on a Saturday? The chandlers (e.g. Force4) list 4mm plastic coated cable for guard rails and don't seem to have anything else. Last resort is to put the galvanised cable back on...

Thanks,

Gerry
Old 27 September 2013, 20:08   #2

Length: 3m +
A proper dinghy / yacht chandler would stock it for rigging wire. Not coated though.
Old 27 September 2013, 21:08   #3

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I believe Seateach in Emsworth may sell it.

Nasher.
Old 28 September 2013, 05:21   #4

Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Aladdins Cave at Bursledon (Hamble river)? - have 1x19, 7x19, 7x7 and can probably advise which is most suitable. But if it goes round sheaves I'd be surprised if it's 1x19, that's low stretch but not flexible - take the old wire along, they can confirm what it is

I'd actually be surprised if Force 4 didn't have it also, it's pretty standard yacht chandlery stuff although I agree I can't find it on their website - have you rung and asked them? (unless the Bursledon branch don't stock it because Aladdins Cave is next door and IIRC they are part of the same company?)
Old 28 September 2013, 07:38   #5

The Chandlery Barge, very near Aladdins Cave, may (almost certainly) have a choice of cable and fasteners.

Solent Boat Jumble is on Sunday, worth a try?

I did similar job on my last trailer, tidied things up a lot. I also replaced adjuster with stainless threaded bar and a bottle screw. Arguably this is a more useful mod. All probably available at The Barge.

Btw just ask at Aladdins Cave for directions to The Barge.

Sent from my HTC One X using Rib.net
Old 28 September 2013, 10:06   #6

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
Thanks for all the advice, guys.

I rang the local Force4 just to check - they confirmed they don't stock it.

Aladdin's Cave Rigging at Bursledon - good shout. They're open on Saturday mornings. Took a bit of the old cable along and the guy confirmed the 7x7 should be a good replacement (he didn't reckon the old cable was 1x19, which I guess tallies since it wouldn't be flexible enough).

So I'm home now with plenty of 7x7 (actually a bit too much but better safe than sorry...)

Bit more expensive than online, but local and available.

Cheers,

Gerry