Old 10 October 2008, 17:03   #41

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
There's a lot of very well meant opinion and interpretation here. Amongst all that will be some errors which some may take as fact. Is anybody qualified to summarise the legal position accurately?
Old 10 October 2008, 17:13   #42
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Is anybody qualified to summarise the legal position accurately?
I think based on other discussions on here on the past on similar topics - it is questionable whether there is anyone in the whole country who can give a definitive and unambiguous answer on some aspects of trailer/towing law!

However - you'll find the a relatively readable guide here: http://www.ntta.co.uk/

If Solent-Salted takes his trailer to the weighbridge he would be advised to fix his lighting and number plate issues before towing it on the road again and attracting attention.
Old 10 October 2008, 17:46   #43
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
All this conjecture is meaningless. He's been stopped and the police have refused to allow him to proceed because they say (with no evidence) that his boat/trailer weight is over 750kg and the trailer is unbraked. There'sonly one course of action-get to the weighbridge and weigh the rig, prove he wasn't breaking the law then force the police to cough up for the recovery charge.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2008, 17:51   #44

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
.....the 750Kg Max is only applicable to vehicles that are rated for it. ......... however hitching it on the back of a Corsa or similarly small car I'm not sure it would even be legal on a braked trailer!
Ms DHD's 1.2 Corsa is ok to tow 1000kg on a braked trailer
Old 10 October 2008, 17:53   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
All this conjecture is meaningless. He's been stopped and the police have refused to allow him to proceed because they say (with no evidence) that his boat/trailer weight is over 750kg and the trailer is unbraked. There'sonly one course of action-get to the weighbridge and weigh the rig, prove he wasn't breaking the law then force the police to cough up for the recovery charge.
Agreed
Old 10 October 2008, 18:06   #46
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
All this conjecture is meaningless. He's been stopped and the police have refused to allow him to proceed because they say (with no evidence) that his boat/trailer weight is over 750kg and the trailer is unbraked. There'sonly one course of action-get to the weighbridge and weigh the rig,
yes - which is surprising / confusing and somehow I'm not sure we are getting the full story. I note S-S himself wasn't driving so we are getting it third hand. Perhaps the conversation was more like "Well Sir, if you can't be sure that the load isn't over weight then I recommend you get it recovered, because if we check it and it is over the limit we will issue a fixed penalty notice."

Quote:
prove he wasn't breaking the law then force the police to cough up for the recovery charge.
good luck to him! I doubt he can prove that - all he can show is that a few days later a boat on a trailer was legal. Whats more without them having issued any formal notice there is probably no way that S-S can prove that he was "forced" to have it recovered.
Old 10 October 2008, 18:25   #47

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
just as a matter of law interpritation , a large truck ran away on a steep hill localy a few years ago and went through the front of a shop killing a large number of people ,at the inquest the police mecanic said the trucks brakes were illegal but the vosa inspector said they were worn but legal .and by the way old man chappelow was a transport inspector for over 30 years ,
Old 10 October 2008, 18:26   #48
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
yes - which is surprising / confusing and somehow I'm not sure we are getting the full story. I note S-S himself wasn't driving so we are getting it third hand. Perhaps the conversation was more like "Well Sir, if you can't be sure that the load isn't over weight then I recommend you get it recovered, because if we check it and it is over the limit we will issue a fixed penalty notice."

good luck to him! I doubt he can prove that - all he can show is that a few days later a boat on a trailer was legal. Whats more without them having issued any formal notice there is probably no way that S-S can prove that he was "forced" to have it recovered.
Said officer should have it written up...if SS can remember his name.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 15:28   #49

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Did you get anywhere with the Boys in Blue?
Old 22 October 2008, 16:32   #50

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
good luck to him! I doubt he can prove that - all he can show is that a few days later a boat on a trailer was legal.
Does the term "Innocent until proven guilty" have any bearing here?

It seems odd that a traffic official can impound a vehicle for breaking the law with no information to base that on (other than a wild-assed guess.)

Granted, the operator should know that the load is legal, but shouldn't the authorities also assume so unless something comes up to prove that different?

jky
Old 22 October 2008, 16:58   #51
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Does the term "Innocent until proven guilty" have any bearing here?
no he wasn't being charged with an offence. He was being warned that the officer believed he was/may be commiting an offence. In the event that he chose to continue doing so and charges brought then the burden of proof lies with the prosecution, and I am sure it would have been chucked out in court. The difference here is the OP is looking for compensation for his additional costs, the burden of proof is now on him to show that the police incorrectly advised him.

Quote:
with no information to base that on (other than a wild-assed guess.)
we call that "suspicion" in this country! it wasn't impounded (that would have cost him much more!) - had the officer wished to bring charges he would have needed to make arrangements for the trailer to be weighed.
Old 27 October 2008, 10:20   #52

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Engine: None
Thought I'd give the final ending to the story, recovery truck driver who piggy backed us the final 1 mile to our destination was a top notch lad and only charged us the bare minimum as he was gonig that way anyway.

So, all in all, not a bad ending, just will always need to make sure that all the information that the boys (and girls) in blue might want on a stop is with the vessel.

I slight inconvenience, but no harm done.
Old 27 October 2008, 10:26   #53
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent-Salted View Post
Thought I'd give the final ending to the story, recovery truck driver who piggy backed us the final 1 mile to our destination was a top notch lad and only charged us the bare minimum as he was gonig that way anyway.

So, all in all, not a bad ending, just will always need to make sure that all the information that the boys (and girls) in blue might want on a stop is with the vessel.

I slight inconvenience, but no harm done.
So what does it weigh?
Old 27 October 2008, 10:41   #54

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent-Salted View Post
just will always need to make sure that all the information that the boys (and girls) in blue might want on a stop is with the vessel.
What about fitting a number plate with a yellow reflective background and the standard lettering in a visible position? And the lighting board in the correct position? I suspect that use of a proper propellor cover may be advisable as well.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2008, 13:15   #55

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Engine: None
She weighed in just shy of 650kg,

new light and plate bar fitted.
Old 27 October 2008, 21:21   #56

Have you been back to the porkers with the weighbridge certificate?