Old 17 August 2014, 08:04   #1

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
New Trailer

New SBS collected from Wolverhampton Monday 😊 A quality piece of engineering, seems very well built and a definite upgrade from my old Snipe.
Thanks to Ovey and all who offered advice based on real experience and especially to Michael of South West Boats for the deal and part exchange. Another few more hours of set up and tweaking with submersible lighting and straps ,,,, just hope the storms stay away so I don't get as soaked as I did on the week!
Old 17 August 2014, 18:55   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
New SBS collected from Wolverhampton Monday �� A quality piece of engineering, seems very well built and a definite upgrade from my old Snipe.
Thanks to Ovey and all who offered advice based on real experience and especially to Michael of South West Boats for the deal and part exchange. Another few more hours of set up and tweaking with submersible lighting and straps ,,,, just hope the storms stay away so I don't get as soaked as I did on the week!
Did you get the hub flushing kit Jeff? Another "mod" I did to mine was replace the winch strap with a 12mm Dyneema rope. I've had more than 1 winch strap let go on me over the years, I just don't trust 'em.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2014, 19:31   #3

Hi Dave ,, yes hub flush kit now fitted and I have refitted a power winch from my old trailer. I also changed the strap a couple of years ago to dyneema (though only 6mm I think), Agree , much better? safer.
I have also refitted my good old USA 'Boat buckle'' ratchet transom tie downs and made up a new bow security chain with a Wirtchard Quick release shackle. You can break these whilst under load so works well on a steep slipway. I only have to pull to release when the rib is safely in the eayer. This worked really well on my previous set up but have had to change the configuration due to the different winch post.
It's been a busy week and weekend but all ready. The local country park lake were really helpful in letting us use the facility for free for swapping over the trailers ,,,,, and 3 launch and recoveries to finally get the axle positioned correctly.
West Bay next weekend and hopeful of a good haul of mega crabs ��
I just need to get used to the wider wheelbase over the old Snipe ,,,, a kerb clipper if I forget !
Old 17 August 2014, 19:35   #4

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
Haha, yeah, it is a bit wider! Glad you're pleased with it mate. No worries for the help & advice.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2014, 19:52   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Hi Dave ,, yes hub flush kit now fitted and I have refitted a power winch from my old trailer. I also changed the strap a couple of years ago to dyneema (though only 6mm I think), Agree , much better? safer.
I have also refitted my good old USA 'Boat buckle'' ratchet transom tie downs and made up a new bow security chain with a Wirtchard Quick release shackle. You can break these whilst under load so works well on a steep slipway. I only have to pull to release when the rib is safely in the eayer. This worked really well on my previous set up but have had to change the configuration due to the different winch post.
It's been a busy week and weekend but all ready. The local country park lake were really helpful in letting us use the facility for free for swapping over the trailers ,,,,, and 3 launch and recoveries to finally get the axle positioned correctly.
West Bay next weekend and hopeful of a good haul of mega crabs ��
I just need to get used to the wider wheelbase over the old Snipe ,,,, a kerb clipper if I forget !
Yup all sounds good. I had some custom stainless ratchet straps made up at Union Industries in Leeds, these go from the towing eyes on the transom, to the welded eyebolts on the trailer. Sounds like we've got exactly the same safety chain, even down to the Witchard shackle. I did a couple of tyres in initially, petrol stations are the worst with the steel edging on the plinths that the pumps sit on, get a couple of spare wheels I had to move my axles around a bit to get the nose weight up & to reduce the clipping on the bends. When you come to change the bearings, I've a 10 tonne press at home all set up for the job, & a pair of big fcuk off circlip pliers for the retainer in the hub.
Make sure that the rear cradle is further back than the side rails that the number plate arms fit into, otherwise you run the risk of hitting the side members rather than the rollers if it's an awkward recovery, don't ask how I know I had to cut about 200mm off mine & re-weld the nuts back on for the arm clamping screws.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 17 August 2014, 20:04   #6

I have the same worry but have resisted cutting the last 250 mm of the rails ,,,,, so far!
I wanted to have the boat a bit further forward to reduce the overall length as well as reducing the vast space at the front ,,, so have similar. Guess I may well end up cutting the rails but didnt want to invalidate the lifetime warranty on the chassis. The only difference is I don't have the inboard lighting board brackets as I am hard wired ,,,,, but the mounting plates are a bit of another potential impact target being so far back from the rear rollers.
I will just have to use my mates as buffers until I decide 😎
Cheers
Old 17 August 2014, 20:16   #7

Oh ,,, and many thanks for the offer of your press. I have managed to replace the Knott 'sealed for 2 years' bearings out over the years with a large tapping stick and lots of sweat but would appreciate your help when the time comes. I've ordered a spare set of hubs for a quick swap out but always carry a 'refurbed' set on my jaunt to Greece.
Jeff
Old 18 August 2014, 08:58   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Oh ,,, and many thanks for the offer of your press. I have managed to replace the Knott 'sealed for 2 years' bearings out over the years with a large tapping stick and lots of sweat but would appreciate your help when the time comes. I've ordered a spare set of hubs for a quick swap out but always carry a 'refurbed' set on my jaunt to Greece.
Jeff
You're welcome, just drop me a line when you need it.