Old 28 August 2014, 12:48   #41

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Cheers for all the replies.

Hitching it up is fine, with the back doors open I can almost see the hitch. Going down the slipways is fine, so long as I can see one half I can judge the other half.

However, my van + RIB are of such dimensions that when going round corners backwards - the rear and one half of it is invisible. Even with the rear doors open, I’m blind.

At home I have to get it round some corners, gate posts and low walls. So camera it is. That ebay one for £30 is bonkers cheap - I may buy two of them.

I do plan to fit the "Floatam poles" which would suit my bunk trailer well.

The problem my dear wife seems to have is realising the trailer pivots around its wheels and has a large overhang. So her shouts of "left a bit" soon turn into "Oh, not that left, the other left".
Old 28 August 2014, 15:57   #42

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
The problem my dear wife seems to have is realising the trailer pivots around its wheels and has a large overhang. So her shouts of "left a bit" soon turn into "Oh, not that left, the other left".
Better to have her stand where you can see her (she'll probably have to move to stay in view) and simply point in the direction the trailer should go. Works well until you get to waters edge.

jky
Old 28 August 2014, 16:52   #43

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
with the back doors open I can almost see the hitch. Going down the slipways is fine, so long as I can see one half I can judge the other half
How exactly does this this relate to your wife?
Old 28 August 2014, 17:10   #44

RIBase
Mollers, she is French - so that would all be lost in translation

Camera is on order, so I hopefully the marriage will continue for a bit longer.
Old 29 August 2014, 16:07   #45

RIBase
Im just about to press "Buy it now" on a wireless reversing camera kit.

WIRELESS CAR REVERSING REAR VIEW CCD CAMERA PARKING KIT + 4.3" LCD TFT MONITOR | eBay

But just wondered about powering it. The screen is easy, that gets powered from the 12v socket in the van.

But Im wondering whats the best way to power the camera bit. That will hang off the back of the RIB and sends a remote signal to the reciever in the van. But it needs 12v as well.

I could run a power cable from the van to it, as I do for the trailer lights I suppose. Or do I power it from one of the batteries in the boat. Which would also entail some fiddling to get a simple connection thats easy to use when I need it.

Any thoughts / recommendations ?
Old 29 August 2014, 16:25   #46

Quote:

WIRELESS CAR REVERSING REAR VIEW CCD CAMERA PARKING KIT + 4.3" LCD TFT MONITOR | eBay

But just wondered about powering it. The screen is easy, that gets powered from the 12v socket in the van.

But Im wondering whats the best way to power the camera bit. That will hang off the back of the RIB and sends a remote signal to the reciever in the van. But it needs 12v as well.

I could run a power cable from the van to it, as I do for the trailer lights I suppose. Or do I power it from one of the batteries in the boat. Which would also entail some fiddling to get a simple connection thats easy to use when I need it.

Put a 12v socket in the trailer board.
IMHO, I cannot think that this set-up will be anymore than a confusing PITA.
I've actually barely driven my truck trailerless since this thread began. Because of it, I've been putting a lot more thought into my trailer reversing. I've again concluded that tidy reversing is a combination of practise and confidence.
The camera will show you where you're reversing, but if you don't have the skills to guide it where you want , it'll be Candid Camera.
Old 29 August 2014, 20:14   #47

RIBase
Well I will fit it and let you know. Socket in the trailer board sounds like a great solution.

The issue is not so much actually reversing and getting it to go where I want. I grew up on a farm, so had some experience. I also trailered my motorbikes or Caterham 7 a lot, but with those you could easily see what was happening.

Its more the case I cant actually see what the rear is doing and that matters in the very tight, twisty drive I have. There are several obstacles that are low or narrow walls and Ive a sort of dog leg to do. There is no view at all from the driving position.

I expect to only use it for my drive, nowhere else will be such an issue.
Old 29 August 2014, 22:39   #48

Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Quote:

Simply wire it to your interior lights feed in the back of your van .
There is a constant live feed to mine and i earthed to the light fitting also all wires are hidden behind the paneling - or you could run a small conduit to the light if well paneled
other wise you will be fitting a extra positive feed to your tow hitch as the trailer board will only be working when indicating - breaking - or your lights are on

My whole system is powered off the interior lights but i can turn off - on from the screen so is simpler - but all you need is a switch to turn it on and off seperate although it wont draw much power

dont forget to add a fuse tho
Old 29 August 2014, 22:45   #49

RIBase
OK, but in your set up I assume you have the camera on the back of the vehicle ?

I would need to put the camera on the back of the RIB, so would need to get power to that point.

If the camera is on the back of the van I still cant see the back of the RIB.

Mmmm, I need to do some thinking.
Old 29 August 2014, 22:47   #50

RIBase
This is the size of the issue:
Old 29 August 2014, 23:10   #51

Town: south west
Length: under 3m
get a smaller rib

I would run the camera off the boat batt [minimal draw] and have it on a removable pole viewing at the same angle of the outboards - viewing from just above engine hood height mid mounted between the 2.
The most prone areas at the stern i would concentrate on getting a good view of
But it all depends on the angle the lens is some are wide some narrow - mine is narrow but it still shows up the entire 15ft boat and more

Best to have a play - set it up so its working and move it arround till you find the ideal position then think how you want it mounted

but the higher the better for me

cracking rib
Old 31 August 2014, 08:10   #52

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Manovering my trailer - high tech help ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsideways View Post
Lol, I'm happy to reverse them all day long, until my wife tries directing me where I can't see, much amusement.

She failed her trailer test dismally too, so muggins here had to build her a horsebox instead.

A truck spec reversing camera is what you need, with a plug in cable to the car at the back.

Makes me wonder how many "horsey" types tow the trailers not even knowing the licence doesn't cover it. (If they're family young)

Trimix - what's your max speed on that beast now you've had her a while?
Old 31 August 2014, 08:27   #53

Length: 3m +
If powering from trailer board there is no always live power there. So feed from til lights and put tail lights on to reverse.

Do you want to launch with it? U won't want trailer board on. Provided you are happy to stop I'd wire a trailer socket direct. So remove trailer board connect the camera. Still use tail light. Unless you have caravan socket.. It has live.

Or... Go pro with wifi to phone... Go pro can be used at sea :-D
Old 31 August 2014, 08:45   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Makes me wonder how many "horsey" types tow the trailers not even knowing the licence doesn't cover it.
Heaps, catering trailers are another legal minefield, weights, tacho's, licences etc.
Old 31 August 2014, 11:46   #55

RIBase
I wont need it for launching and general moving about at the Marina. Just my dog-leg drive way.

I will have a go with it mounted high up as suggested till I get it in the best position, then figure out how to power it.

HUMBER P4VWL - Im still not sure how fast it goes - My missus screams too much so I throttle back. The GPS trip shows a max 57 so far far. So without the missus it shoud be quicker.
Old 31 August 2014, 15:53   #56

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Manovering my trailer - high tech help ?

C'mon fella surely curiosity has to get the better of you. Lose the full tanks and wifey and let rip then play with the trim and watch it creep faster. See if you break 60knots!!!

.... Though curiosity killed the cat! ;-)
Old 31 August 2014, 17:47   #57

RIBase
Ha ha, your quite right

I am very curious to know. As soon as the wife is not on board I will see what it does and let you know.
Old 31 August 2014, 19:25   #58

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Fek me ... something that big would be a piece of pi$$ to reverse ... you only need to concentrate on your tube ends, and know the o/b overhangs to make a safe job of it ...(doesent look legal to me either BTW )

I firmly agree with Mollers .. that cameras just add an extra element of confusion you can do without .. you'll be too busy watching a screen when you should be watching a corner tube, or a wing man giving you guidance
Old 31 August 2014, 19:59   #59

RIBase
Your right in most instances, its easy. But there are some obstacles in my drive that I cant see, so I fancy trying the camera, rather than waiting for my wife to say "oops - I didnt see that bit".

The van and boat are almost too long to make the turns needed.

Its less than £40, so it will hardly be a waste of money. But if anyone would like to pop round and show me just how to reverse it down my drive you would be welcome.

I will find out soon and let you know if it helps or confuses.
Old 31 August 2014, 20:00   #60
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Fek me ... something that big would be a piece of pi$$ to reverse ... you only need to concentrate on your tube ends, and know the o/b overhangs to make a safe job of it ...(doesent look legal to me either BTW )

I firmly agree with Mollers .. that cameras just add an extra element of confusion you can do without .. you'll be too busy watching a screen when you should be watching a corner tube, or a wing man giving you guidance
post 41 + 47