Old 26 January 2011, 04:20   #21

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
As I understand it the "not on your A-frame" advice stems from the maximum heights listed here: http://www.ntta.co.uk/downloads/Safe...owingShort.pdf (p17)
That's where I'd taken my view that A frame mounted lighting boards were not advised/legal...there's also some words somewhere - but I can't find it now - that states the trailer is what should be marked and illuminated, not the load (unless the load strays into 'abnormal'). There are some exceptions for boat trailers, but the only reference I can find is that they are excluded from front marker lights, presumably because boat trailers are inevitably tapered at the front and the mounting of such would be difficult.

As Polwart says, the NTTA website holds all the legal jargon but it takes some wading through.
Old 26 January 2011, 06:39   #22
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
good working lights attract less attention than flickering and out normal trailerboard ones
I reckon that goes a long way.

Just have a look at the number of people on the road with wildly non-compliants stuff: trailers with no lights, missing lights, reg plates scrawled on a Cornflakes packet, never minds all those bikes on rear carriers that completely obscure reg plates and lights.

Compared to those, a decent lighting board on the A-frame is far less likely to attract attention even if not strictly correct. It also has the benefit of not needing to route the cable along the trailer which is handy.
Old 26 January 2011, 07:20   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cannell View Post
Jim, where did you get the lights?.

Ta
Paul
Hi

From here

http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/LED_lamps.html

Jim
Old 26 January 2011, 08:14   #24

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Jeff, thanks. that wouldnlt work on mine - I have to negotiate a full width speed hump every time I levae the house, and unfortunately it's not one of the "bus friendly lumps" that the trailer would straddle. The current board only misses it by about 1"....

As a tangentical thought, my thoughts with permanent lighting were to also at the junction box by the winch to put one of the Bulgin watertight 3 pin connectors with Aux batt charging & a tapping off the brake circuit. Then have a "jump lead" to the console (via another bulgin) to allow boat battery top-up whilst travelling and a high level brake light on the frame. (I have the dubious pleasure of a Euro 13 pin on the car which allows such frivolities!)
Old 26 January 2011, 14:42   #25

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Old 26 January 2011, 22:45   #26

Town: Dublin, Ireland
Boat name: Voodoo1
Make: Piranha
Length: 5m +
Engine: new Suzuki DF90
I've got a normal light board on mine but there's quick release split pins holding it onto the bar at the rear.. The cable is cable tied only half way along the trailer so you can take the bar off and take it forward past the axles so it doesn't get wet.. Very handy.. Not expensive either as it's a standard light bar!