Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 31 January 2013, 14:55   #1
AJ.
RIBnet supporter
 
AJ.'s Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,020
Lights down side of rig

Chaps

Quite a few times when I have been towing the boat home in the dark I have been in the middle lane on a motorway overtaking or on dual carriageways and as my car has passed the vehicle I have overtaken they have gone to pull out behind me and then swerved back in as they didn't realise I was towing. This has happened quite a bit to me and is an accident waiting to happen.

Is there any legal way of adding some form of lights maybe on the winch area so other drivers can see there is a boat attached to the back of my car?

Obviously the right answer is for people to wait a bit before jumping out on the back of me but that's never going to happen. Also needs to be legal as I don't want the police pulling me over. But you do see lorrys having lights down the side of them?
__________________
AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 15:01   #2
Member
 
mister p's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,433
Do whatever you want, the best one is bright blue LED's !!!!!!
Doesn't seem to bother anyone other than me.
Right P.I.T.A.
__________________

__________________
mister p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 15:13   #3
AJ.
RIBnet supporter
 
AJ.'s Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,020
Yeah know what your saying but when your on sudden death on your driving license I can't afford any more points!
__________________
AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 15:21   #4
Member
 
Andy B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 342
Put your rear fog lights on, it lights the boat up a treat...
__________________
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 15:24   #5
Member
 
mister p's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Put your rear fog lights on, it lights the boat up a treat...
Do not put your rear fogs on.

At all ever, unless it's foggy. Not in snow, rain, hail or night.

Only when there's fog.

__________________
mister p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 15:26   #6
Member
 
mister p's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,433
I've got to say though, there's nothing bad about running a string of LED's around your rig whilst under way, on the road.
__________________
mister p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 15:37   #7
Member
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ.
Chaps

Quite a few times when I have been towing the boat home in the dark I have been in the middle lane on a motorway overtaking or on dual carriageways and as my car has passed the vehicle I have overtaken they have gone to pull out behind me and then swerved back in as they didn't realise I was towing. This has happened quite a bit to me and is an accident waiting to happen.

Is there any legal way of adding some form of lights maybe on the winch area so other drivers can see there is a boat attached to the back of my car?

Obviously the right answer is for people to wait a bit before jumping out on the back of me but that's never going to happen. Also needs to be legal as I don't want the police pulling me over. But you do see lorrys having lights down the side of them?
Often wondered about this myself going down narrow rds with oncoming traffic is my worry with a wide rib
I had thought about putting some running lights on the mudguards but its the wiring that comes in to question then
Some of these would be good wired to the rib battery http://www.ladistributionltd.com/pro...ed-strip-light
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 15:44   #8
Member
 
mister p's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Often wondered about this myself going down narrow rds with oncoming traffic is my worry with a wide rib
I had thought about putting some running lights on the mudguards but its the wiring that comes in to question then
Some of these would be good wired to the rib battery Product
Well actually, I reckon the more you have the better, but you do get close to CHAVness.

Just light your RIG up in a way where you wouldn't want somebody to hit it.........and stay away from CHAVS and SCUMbags.

__________________
mister p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 15:55   #9
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,788
RIBase
What you want are marker or running lights. They're red behind and white in front. Easy enough to install on the top of the mudguards. I did this on my last roller coaster trailer. However, the lights need to be waterproof, ideally LED bulbs. You can splice the wiring into the main loom if you have a light board (you'll need a detachable point) before it connects to the socket on the car.

That's one of my jobs for the spring before the start of the season.
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 15:57   #10
AJ.
RIBnet supporter
 
AJ.'s Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,020
I was thinking something like those low lit Christmas lights that you run off a couple of aa batteries and weave them through the winch along the bow of the boat through the grab rails.
__________________
AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 16:00   #11
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,837
RIBase
I had a similar problem on the narrow roads here. In my case, oncoming traffic didn't realise just how wide my rig was (2.7m), despite the forward facing white reflectors on the mudguards.

In the end I fitted an amber revolving flasher on the trailer and it worked a treat. A bit illegal though, but I controlled it from the cab and could switch it off when not needed.

In your case, I'd rig a couple of forward facing whites on the lighting board, maybe extended up or out where needed....
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 16:03   #12
AJ.
RIBnet supporter
 
AJ.'s Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
What you want are marker or running lights. They're red behind and white in front. Easy enough to install on the top of the mudguards. I did this on my last roller coaster trailer. However, the lights need to be waterproof, ideally LED bulbs. You can splice the wiring into the main loom if you have a light board (you'll need a detachable point) before it connects to the socket on the car.

That's one of my jobs for the spring before the start of the season.
Sounds interesting you should create a project thread so us useless folk can copy. My thoughts re. my issue is that having lights at the mud guards are too low to see out of a drivers window and generally to late as they would have pulled out before the trailer mud guards got level with the driver. Still better than nothing at all
__________________
AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 16:33   #13
AJ.
RIBnet supporter
 
AJ.'s Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I had a similar problem on the narrow roads here. In my case, oncoming traffic didn't realise just how wide my rig was (2.7m), despite the forward facing white reflectors on the mudguards.

In the end I fitted an amber revolving flasher on the trailer and it worked a treat. A bit illegal though, but I controlled it from the cab and could switch it off when not needed.

In your case, I'd rig a couple of forward facing whites on the lighting board, maybe extended up or out where needed....
Cheers Wiilk they look pretty good just need to understand where the law stands with lights on a boat trailer such as height location etc., anyone up on these regulations?
__________________
AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 16:36   #14
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,788
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
Sounds interesting you should create a project thread so us useless folk can copy. My thoughts re. my issue is that having lights at the mud guards are too low to see out of a drivers window and generally to late as they would have pulled out before the trailer mud guards got level with the driver. Still better than nothing at all
Sounds like a plan. Worked a treat on the Indespension roller coaster trailer which sat lower and wider than my current Rapide trailer.

The original rubberised 12v bulb marker lights lasted a couple of seasons before they corroded internally. I subsequently fitted LED marker lights which were sealed units. I attached them to the mudguards and sealed them with sikaflex, then ran the wiring up to the hitch.

Because I use a light board, I added a connector near the tow hitch so it could detach prior to launching. You could of course add separate red and white LED marker lights, however it can work out expensive. On the positive side, they're less likely to get damaged as they're not directly on top of the mudguard if you go for the combined version.

Some examples here: LED lights
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 16:43   #15
CJL
Member
 
CJL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,160
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I stuck reflexite strips on the front edge of the mudguard and the lightboard. Much cheaper and easier!

New Reflexite ECE 104 Red Reflective Tape 50mm x 1m | eBay

Red on the back, white on the front.

Chris
__________________
www.northernexposurerescue.org.uk
A registered charity supporting events across England and Wales
Follow us on Vimeo and Facebook
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 16:45   #16
AJ.
RIBnet supporter
 
AJ.'s Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,020
Good link Spartacus some of those LED lights arn't as expensive as I thought they might be have you bought from them before? Might update my light board as the lights are becoming temperamental.
__________________
AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 16:46   #17
Member
 
mister p's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,433
what was the illegality of the amber?
__________________
mister p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 16:49   #18
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,837
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
I stuck reflexite strips on the front edge of the mudguard and the lightboard. Much cheaper and easier!
I tried that - didn't work. I think that the glare from my dipped headlights obscured the reflected light (I used SOLAS tape). On the whole, I found that a rotating amber put manners on them

My bad, obviously...
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 16:51   #19
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,837
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
what was the illegality of the amber?
AFAIK (amd I didn't check 'cos I didn't plan to change my plan) you need to be travelling below a certain speed - it's something silly like 20-40mph.

This bothered me not a jot
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 16:54   #20
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Depending on how new your car is the ecu could be programmed so the rear fog lights don't work when the tow hitch electrics are connected.

Surely amber side markers would be fine?
__________________

__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.