RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Lights down side of rig

Chaps

Quite a few times when I have been towing the boat home in the dark I have been in the middle lane on a motorway overtaking or on dual carriageways and as my car has passed the vehicle I have overtaken they have gone to pull out behind me and then swerved back in as they didn't realise I was towing. This has happened quite a bit to me and is an accident waiting to happen.

Is there any legal way of adding some form of lights maybe on the winch area so other drivers can see there is a boat attached to the back of my car?

Obviously the right answer is for people to wait a bit before jumping out on the back of me but that's never going to happen. Also needs to be legal as I don't want the police pulling me over. But you do see lorrys having lights down the side of them?
Old 31 January 2013, 19:01   #2

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Do whatever you want, the best one is bright blue LED's !!!!!!
Doesn't seem to bother anyone other than me.
Right P.I.T.A.
Old 31 January 2013, 19:13   #3
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Yeah know what your saying but when your on sudden death on your driving license I can't afford any more points!
Old 31 January 2013, 19:21   #4

Town: southampton
Put your rear fog lights on, it lights the boat up a treat...
Old 31 January 2013, 19:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Put your rear fog lights on, it lights the boat up a treat...
Do not put your rear fogs on.

At all ever, unless it's foggy. Not in snow, rain, hail or night.

Only when there's fog.

Old 31 January 2013, 19:26   #6

I've got to say though, there's nothing bad about running a string of LED's around your rig whilst under way, on the road.
Old 31 January 2013, 19:37   #7

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ.
Chaps

Quite a few times when I have been towing the boat home in the dark I have been in the middle lane on a motorway overtaking or on dual carriageways and as my car has passed the vehicle I have overtaken they have gone to pull out behind me and then swerved back in as they didn't realise I was towing. This has happened quite a bit to me and is an accident waiting to happen.

Is there any legal way of adding some form of lights maybe on the winch area so other drivers can see there is a boat attached to the back of my car?

Obviously the right answer is for people to wait a bit before jumping out on the back of me but that's never going to happen. Also needs to be legal as I don't want the police pulling me over. But you do see lorrys having lights down the side of them?
Often wondered about this myself going down narrow rds with oncoming traffic is my worry with a wide rib
I had thought about putting some running lights on the mudguards but its the wiring that comes in to question then
Some of these would be good wired to the rib battery http://www.ladistributionltd.com/pro...ed-strip-light
Old 31 January 2013, 19:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Often wondered about this myself going down narrow rds with oncoming traffic is my worry with a wide rib
I had thought about putting some running lights on the mudguards but its the wiring that comes in to question then
Some of these would be good wired to the rib battery Product
Well actually, I reckon the more you have the better, but you do get close to CHAVness.

Just light your RIG up in a way where you wouldn't want somebody to hit it.........and stay away from CHAVS and SCUMbags.

Old 31 January 2013, 19:55   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
What you want are marker or running lights. They're red behind and white in front. Easy enough to install on the top of the mudguards. I did this on my last roller coaster trailer. However, the lights need to be waterproof, ideally LED bulbs. You can splice the wiring into the main loom if you have a light board (you'll need a detachable point) before it connects to the socket on the car.

That's one of my jobs for the spring before the start of the season.
Old 31 January 2013, 19:57   #10
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

I was thinking something like those low lit Christmas lights that you run off a couple of aa batteries and weave them through the winch along the bow of the boat through the grab rails.
Old 31 January 2013, 20:00   #11
RIBnet Supporter

I had a similar problem on the narrow roads here. In my case, oncoming traffic didn't realise just how wide my rig was (2.7m), despite the forward facing white reflectors on the mudguards.

In the end I fitted an amber revolving flasher on the trailer and it worked a treat. A bit illegal though, but I controlled it from the cab and could switch it off when not needed.

In your case, I'd rig a couple of forward facing whites on the lighting board, maybe extended up or out where needed....
Old 31 January 2013, 20:03   #12
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
What you want are marker or running lights. They're red behind and white in front. Easy enough to install on the top of the mudguards. I did this on my last roller coaster trailer. However, the lights need to be waterproof, ideally LED bulbs. You can splice the wiring into the main loom if you have a light board (you'll need a detachable point) before it connects to the socket on the car.

That's one of my jobs for the spring before the start of the season.
Sounds interesting you should create a project thread so us useless folk can copy. My thoughts re. my issue is that having lights at the mud guards are too low to see out of a drivers window and generally to late as they would have pulled out before the trailer mud guards got level with the driver. Still better than nothing at all
Old 31 January 2013, 20:33   #13
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I had a similar problem on the narrow roads here. In my case, oncoming traffic didn't realise just how wide my rig was (2.7m), despite the forward facing white reflectors on the mudguards.

In the end I fitted an amber revolving flasher on the trailer and it worked a treat. A bit illegal though, but I controlled it from the cab and could switch it off when not needed.

In your case, I'd rig a couple of forward facing whites on the lighting board, maybe extended up or out where needed....
Cheers Wiilk they look pretty good just need to understand where the law stands with lights on a boat trailer such as height location etc., anyone up on these regulations?
Old 31 January 2013, 20:36   #14

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
Sounds interesting you should create a project thread so us useless folk can copy. My thoughts re. my issue is that having lights at the mud guards are too low to see out of a drivers window and generally to late as they would have pulled out before the trailer mud guards got level with the driver. Still better than nothing at all
Sounds like a plan. Worked a treat on the Indespension roller coaster trailer which sat lower and wider than my current Rapide trailer.

The original rubberised 12v bulb marker lights lasted a couple of seasons before they corroded internally. I subsequently fitted LED marker lights which were sealed units. I attached them to the mudguards and sealed them with sikaflex, then ran the wiring up to the hitch.

Because I use a light board, I added a connector near the tow hitch so it could detach prior to launching. You could of course add separate red and white LED marker lights, however it can work out expensive. On the positive side, they're less likely to get damaged as they're not directly on top of the mudguard if you go for the combined version.

Some examples here: LED lights
Old 31 January 2013, 20:43   #15
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I stuck reflexite strips on the front edge of the mudguard and the lightboard. Much cheaper and easier!

New Reflexite ECE 104 Red Reflective Tape 50mm x 1m | eBay

Red on the back, white on the front.

Chris
Old 31 January 2013, 20:45   #16
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Good link Spartacus some of those LED lights arn't as expensive as I thought they might be have you bought from them before? Might update my light board as the lights are becoming temperamental.
Old 31 January 2013, 20:46   #17

what was the illegality of the amber?
Old 31 January 2013, 20:49   #18
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
I stuck reflexite strips on the front edge of the mudguard and the lightboard. Much cheaper and easier!
I tried that - didn't work. I think that the glare from my dipped headlights obscured the reflected light (I used SOLAS tape). On the whole, I found that a rotating amber put manners on them

My bad, obviously...
Old 31 January 2013, 20:51   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
what was the illegality of the amber?
AFAIK (amd I didn't check 'cos I didn't plan to change my plan) you need to be travelling below a certain speed - it's something silly like 20-40mph.

This bothered me not a jot
Old 31 January 2013, 20:54   #20

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Depending on how new your car is the ecu could be programmed so the rear fog lights don't work when the tow hitch electrics are connected.

Surely amber side markers would be fine?