Old 01 December 2020, 16:14   #1

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Land Rover Discovery 4 reversing camera input

Just in the process of fitting some permaneant submersible lights to the rear of my trailer . Due to the fact i now have reversing lights on the trailer lights ,this means i can link a reversing camera across the reversing light 12v feed and neutral ,something i have done before with one of those £25 ebay cameras and screens ...this time i would like to bring the camera up on the dash fitted system already fitted in the disco !
Has anybody tried this or maybe has any expierience with these cameras
any thoughts please ? all i know is there was an option to have multiple cameras on the disco 4,s which currently i dont have ! .
Old 01 December 2020, 22:40   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
So you want a camera on trailer board? LR do a wireless one iirc but not sure if you can have it on it’s own or only as part of the package.
Old 01 December 2020, 22:49   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Hmm interesting read here DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Discovery 4 2012 HSE Surround Camera System

If existing camera is analogue (dig out the specs and is composite video either pal or ntsc spec then you can probable bridge a second camera into the car using a simple swictcher that could be switched by the trailer wiring.....
Old 02 December 2020, 00:10   #4

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
No experience with these cameras at all.

But, I have installed a reversing camera on my vehicle so I could line up my tow hitch to a large boat I used to have.

I originally wired it to the reversing lights, seemed obvious to me but, if I was a bit out with my reversing I wanted to keep an eye on it when I was going forward to help me line up, but of course the camera went off.

So I rewired it to work when the lights were turned on.

Funny thing tho' I also wired some large reversing lights on my roof rack and when I changed the source of power to the standard lights I didn't realise I had two large revering lights glaring at the driver behind me.

I soon got advised when we stopped at some traffic lights.

Just for interest what is the benefit of having a camera on the rear of your trailer rather than on the rear of your vehicle?
Old 02 December 2020, 10:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
So you want a camera on trailer board? LR do a wireless one iirc but not sure if you can have it on it’s own or only as part of the package.
Thanks for interest and help . Last time i just had simple ebay system powering camera when reversing lights came on similar to this .......
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wired-Car...EAAOSwY~VdXhFZ
This time i wanted exactly the same without dashboard clutter !
my disco 4 graphite is last of old shape 2016 ,rear park camera is standard fit ,maybe i could cut into existing camera line and switch there but hav,nt a clue about camera types/signals ,thanks
Old 03 December 2020, 05:42   #6

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Another way would be to install a camera that would feed the image to your Phone. Normally you will have your phone with you and then a simple phone mount might well do the job. The camera would have to be submersible of course or you could perhaps mount it inside something such as a sealed lemonade bottle.
Old 03 December 2020, 05:47   #7

Here you go one on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/courti-Wire...65103305&psc=1
Old 03 December 2020, 05:56   #8

If you mounted this sort that transmits to your phone you could mount it on the Rib rear Frame and power it from the rib battery. It would them have a duel use and be able to be used when out on the boat as well
Old 03 December 2020, 06:03   #9

There you go one on Ebay for £16. I have just ordered one to give it a try. This could have a multitude of uses.

Another way to think out of the box and do it for peanuts rather than shell out hundreds to Land Rover. Just like my little Bluetooth gadget for £8.95

Mobile phone on dash is not clutter also I recon

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Intel...cAAOSwzode6dFM
Old 03 December 2020, 14:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
If you mounted this sort that transmits to your phone you could mount it on the Rib rear Frame and power it from the rib battery. It would them have a duel use and be able to be used when out on the boat as well
Yes i like your style on that one ! i reckon that has possibilities ,maybe i can power it from my battery charging socket on the rib , that wont use alot of battery and it will still work if i decouple the trailer and use the launch wire on the steep slip where i launch (something i don,t ussually manage on my own )as you need a second set of eyes ,or a camera !
Old 03 December 2020, 16:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Yes i like your style on that one ! i reckon that has possibilities ,maybe i can power it from my battery charging socket on the rib , that wont use alot of battery and it will still work if i decouple the trailer and use the launch wire on the steep slip where i launch (something i don,t ussually manage on my own )as you need a second set of eyes ,or a camera !
Would it be possible to use the bottom of a couple of lemonade bottle to perhaps magnify the image so you could do it old school rather like 2 baked bean tins and a piece of string aka the first telephone
Old 04 December 2020, 22:37   #12

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Another simpler way is to use your rear vision mirrors !!
Old 05 December 2020, 15:58   #13

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I'll be quite interested to see how this turns out. The only downside I can see is that the wireless distance may not be enough to go from the back of the trailer to the dashboard.
Old 06 December 2020, 20:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I'll be quite interested to see how this turns out. The only downside I can see is that the wireless distance may not be enough to go from the back of the trailer to the dashboard.
I can tell you when we meet up in Scotland
Old 08 December 2020, 10:06   #15

Quote:
Yes i am going to order one of these units for a try ,i will be expecting 100 % function on car and trailer for normal use ,but also hoping for reception when i use the launch wire on the slip ,which sets the car probhably 40 metres from the trailer ,may change my winter boating as the slip is too green to use sometimes.
Old 24 December 2020, 16:26   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Yes i am going to order one of these units for a try ,i will be expecting 100 % function on car and trailer for normal use ,but also hoping for reception when i use the launch wire on the slip ,which sets the car probhably 40 metres from the trailer ,may change my winter boating as the slip is too green to use sometimes.
Well i followed the science and made the purchase ,arrived a couple of days ago so fitted up from ciggarette lighter plug ,downloaded the w-car app to my android and all fine ,found the wireless network created by the camera so all was well but ...no images from the camera ?? when i look at the wifi signal strength on my phone it starts at excellent and drops to good at 30 metres in free air (the back garden ) but no images
it would appear the image part of the camera seems faulty athough the wifi and sinal tranmission seem fine and indeed quite encouraging

Am i being beaten by the phone settings ?? or maybe its faulty ,,,,,i know smallribber has recieved his and only gets 3 metres but my transmission distance appears encouraging if only i had some images

Anyway any phone experts help would be appreciated but in the meantime ,I too would like to wish everybody a merry Christmas and optimism for the new year ,and thanks to all for all the help and guidance in 2020 (and of course the enterainment )
Old 05 January 2021, 21:59   #17

Quote:
Final update on this one ,....never did get a picture on my android ,chinese supplier just seemed to go through various increasing amouts of refund offers ,
settled for 90% of purchase price in the end ,dont think this technology is quite perfected yet however how do drones get the info back kilometres yet these little cameras cant get it 10 yards ?