Old 09 April 2021, 16:25   #1

Length: no boat
Knott auto reverse brakes help

Hi all, seen various posts and clips on here about auto reverse setup on a trailer with Knott brakes, but need a bit of advice please.

I have adjusted the rod from the tow hitch to the axle where the cables split into each wheel. The handbrake works fine. However, if I ratchet the hitch piston to simulate braking or reversing, either both hubs turn or both are locked.

As long as I have the direction of travel arrow in the right direction on each side, will the auto reverse shoe always be in the correct position, or does it need to be on the right hand side of the hub as you look at it, or the left hand side of the hub?

We have only tried it by hand, someone suggested that I need a car hitched up to reverse it to give the auto reverse a bit of help, but a couple of YouTube videos has a mechanic simply showing the trailer with the bellows ratcheted in and then he tests the forward rotation which is locked, and then backward, which spins freely.

A second point, after fitting new bearings, one of the videos shows the hub nuts torqued to 70Nm, but the leaflet which came with the Knott brakes shows 270Nm. Any thoughts?

Many thanks, John
Old 09 April 2021, 19:15   #2

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOrrett View Post
Hi all, seen various posts and clips on here about auto reverse setup on a trailer with Knott brakes, but need a bit of advice please.

I have adjusted the rod from the tow hitch to the axle where the cables split into each wheel. The handbrake works fine. However, if I ratchet the hitch piston to simulate braking or reversing, either both hubs turn or both are locked.

As long as I have the direction of travel arrow in the right direction on each side, will the auto reverse shoe always be in the correct position, or does it need to be on the right hand side of the hub as you look at it, or the left hand side of the hub?

We have only tried it by hand, someone suggested that I need a car hitched up to reverse it to give the auto reverse a bit of help, but a couple of YouTube videos has a mechanic simply showing the trailer with the bellows ratcheted in and then he tests the forward rotation which is locked, and then backward, which spins freely.

A second point, after fitting new bearings, one of the videos shows the hub nuts torqued to 70Nm, but the leaflet which came with the Knott brakes shows 270Nm. Any thoughts?

Many thanks, John
I dont think spin freely is an accurate statement ,i have done this fairly regularly ,when jacked up and the hitch strapped back ,you try pretty forceful to turn the wheel backwards ,the process allows you to force the shoes partially out of the carriers causing an initial jerk, which means they are no longer on the same centre as the hub, the hub will still rub at the extremeties ,easy to do with a wheel brace when tightening wheel bolts
Old 09 April 2021, 21:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
I dont think spin freely is an accurate statement ,i have done this fairly regularly ,when jacked up and the hitch strapped back ,you try pretty forceful to turn the wheel backwards ,the process allows you to force the shoes partially out of the carriers causing an initial jerk, which means they are no longer on the same centre as the hub, the hub will still rub at the extremeties ,easy to do with a wheel brace when tightening wheel bolts
Hi Orwell boy, thanks for responding. When the hitch is strapped back, there is no force needed, the drum will spin both ways as if there is no brake applied. At the moment the trailer is on axle stands and wheels off. I followed this video

From about 11.10 is the mechanic strapping the hitch. I thought, quite possibly incorrectly with the hitch strapped back, there should be little or no forward motion. The new Knott brake cables are about 6 inches longer than the old ones meaning some fiddling around with the threaded rod from the hitch to the axle splitter and trying to get rid of any slack.
Old 10 April 2021, 15:37   #4

Just to say all sorted, brakes working fine.
Appreciate the help,
Best wishes, John