Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10 September 2021, 16:23   #1

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Just received this from DVSA re towing.

Cars towing a trailer

Drivers who passed their car test before 1 January 1997 can already tow a car and trailer without taking a car and trailer test.

New proposals.

As a result of these changes, all car drivers will be able to tow a trailer weighing up to 3,500kg without the need for an additional test when the law is changed, which will be as soon as possible.

Until then, car drivers who gained their licence after 1 January 1997 will only be able to tow a trailer weighing up to 3,500kg if they display L plates and are supervised by a driver aged over 21 who has had a car and trailer licence for 3 years or more or passed their car test before 1 January 1997.

To make more lorry tests available, DVSA will not be carrying out any car and trailer tests from 20 September.

We’ve published detailed guidance about the new rules for towing a trailer or caravan with a car that will apply until the law changes and what you’ll be able to do when the law has changed.

If you offer car and trailer lessons

Professional training is still important for car drivers who want to tow a trailer, so we will continue to encourage those wanting to tow to seek training before towing a trailer.

We encourage you to talk to your car and trailer pupils to explain what they will no longer need to take a test and will be able to tow a trailer that’s up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) when the law changes.

You can also signpost your pupils to our towing guidance.
Old 10 September 2021, 16:52   #2

Town: Portland, Dorset
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Interesting. I always get confused by this stuff. Are they now saying that for a post-97 licence holder, its going to change from total weight has to be less than 3.5t to car can be anything as long as the trailer is less than 3.5t?

That would be surprisingly logical... always used to annoy me that I could legally tow more with a Peugeot 306 than a Discovery!
Old 10 September 2021, 18:41   #3

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Hmmmmm
Old 10 September 2021, 20:41   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
Interesting. I always get confused by this stuff. Are they now saying that for a post-97 licence holder, its going to change from total weight has to be less than 3.5t to car can be anything as long as the trailer is less than 3.5t?

That would be surprisingly logical... always used to annoy me that I could legally tow more with a Peugeot 306 than a Discovery!
It means no-one will need to pass a car trailer towing test to pull a trailer with a weight up to 3500kgs. It has no affect on the rules relating to car towing capacity etc. It's simply a test will not be required but tow training will be encouraged. A bit like using your boat on the ocean.
Old 10 September 2021, 20:58   #5

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
I read it that everyone gets the same towing rights as pre 97 drivers but not the 7.5t rights
Old 11 September 2021, 05:00   #6

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rule...om-autumn-2021

For info.
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote