Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11 February 2019, 14:01   #1

Town: Dorset
Length: 6m +
How to replace roller split pins (easily)?

I am planning to remove the rollers to clean up and lubricate and then replace the rusted split pins. Might be a stupid question but can't find anything with the search.

What is the best way to put new split pins in given that they are recessed into the roller? Do you just bend the split pin before inserting? Would appreciate any tips as a few seconds saved per pin will add up!

Trailer is an indespension super roller coaster. Pic of area attached.
Old 11 February 2019, 14:07   #2

Pic added
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6002.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	128426  
Old 11 February 2019, 14:22   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I'm afraid without seeing them it's just soak in penetrating oil (a few hours or overnight) and grunt.. mole grips work well ...it does help if you get pins as straight as possible before you extract them.
Worse case is drilling them out but that isn't often nesssary if they snap during the process a punch the right size will soon sort it.
Just remember to replace them with stainless!....AND the washers if you take my advice

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 16:16   #4

Town: Maybole
Boat name: Greylag
Make: AVON Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol 70hp
One wee tip I was given and have used to great success. Getting them out is just as Maximus says is just "good engineering practice!"
Reinserting them and or having had to drill out the old ones with the rubber wheel off is to simply drill a pilot hole through the rubber roller, well greased the new split will pop through with a screw driver, bend it over once in and jobs done. "stupid and simple"
Old 11 February 2019, 23:10   #5

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by IainK View Post
One wee tip I was given and have used to great success. Getting them out is just as Maximus says is just "good engineering practice!"
Reinserting them and or having had to drill out the old ones with the rubber wheel off is to simply drill a pilot hole through the rubber roller, well greased the new split will pop through with a screw driver, bend it over once in and jobs done. "stupid and simple"
+1 on drill a hole in rubber rollers
Old 12 February 2019, 06:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainK View Post
Great stuff. Thanks. Was contemplating just that but was concerned it would weaken the roller and cause it to split.
Old 12 February 2019, 13:43   #7
RIBnet Supporter

I have 128 of these to do soon. Are we suggesting drilling a hole in every roller simply to insert new pins, or as a way to remove corroded pins, or both? I see the logic - but I'm reluctant to drill rollers to simplify insertion - although with 128 to do I could easily be persuaded!!
Old 12 February 2019, 13:58   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Or you could use a small sharp cold chisel & take the ends off the old split pin, remove the roller & punch out the remains.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 14:22   #9

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Or you could use a small sharp cold chisel & take the ends off the old split pin, remove the roller & punch out the remains.
My first post on this problem was to drill the hole in the rubber for replacement of the cotter pins. And it can be used to help with extraction. But having 128 to deal with I have found a grinder with in your case mated with a worn down cut off wheel to fit in the space. If you can fit it in between the rubber the cutting off of the heads takes 2 seconds per. It also vibrates loose the rust some if they are stuck. Now I don’t have rollers to look at so it may be impossible to do this but if you can it’s fast.
Old 12 February 2019, 16:05   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
or a dremel with a disc to cut um off, don't get the drilling rollers though, do they heat the pins up to bend in or just force in? Or is the other side of the roller shallower so insert the pin in there last?

Would the roller compress with a G clamp so the pin will be easer to insert got to be another way other that drilling IMO
Old 12 February 2019, 20:47   #11

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I have 128 of these to do soon. Are we suggesting drilling a hole in every roller simply to insert new pins, or as a way to remove corroded pins, or both? I see the logic - but I'm reluctant to drill rollers to simplify insertion - although with 128 to do I could easily be persuaded!!
If you replace em ( and washers) to Stainless and a little waterproof grease (very first job I do on a new trailer!) any breakages or malfunctions are easy to replace ...don't...and leave them for a few Seasons and they can ALL need drilling/punching out....

Either way You won't put mild steel ones back in

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 21:29   #12

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSAC View Post
I am planning to remove the rollers to clean up and lubricate and then replace the rusted split pins. Might be a stupid question but can't find anything with the search.

What is the best way to put new split pins in given that they are recessed into the roller? Do you just bend the split pin before inserting? Would appreciate any tips as a few seconds saved per pin will add up!

Trailer is an indespension super roller coaster. Pic of area attached.
Bend one of the old legs next to the other one. Turn on the side & pull out.

Bend the new ones in a curve. Once in turn flat & bend one leg away from the other.

If the old ones are rusted in cut the head & legs off, remove the rollers & then deal with the remains.
Old 17 February 2019, 21:29   #13

Town: Weymouth
Length: no boat
2 ways I have removed well rusted split pins.

1st way use bolt croppers to remove the bow of the pin then push/pull the remaining piece out with pliers or pin punch if there is room.

2 straighten the pin then with decent side cutters grip the bow of the pin and lever it outwards against the roller hub. Each movement will lift the pin a little then move the side cutters lower down the pin and repeat.
Old 09 March 2019, 13:08   #14

Anyone happen to know what size split pins and washers to use for an indepension roller trailer? Currently away from the boat so cant measure frustratingly. Thanks!
Old 09 March 2019, 15:19   #15

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
If you buy rollerbunk rollers they clip on with pastic washers onto the ally wing brackets ,which also have an ear on them to stop the rollers laying the wrong way when loading , simple and i have just purchased my third rollerbunk set for the 5.3 extreme trailer ,so swinging cradle should be on ebay soon .