Old 05 June 2017, 19:17   #1

Town: Southern California
Length: 3m +
Help identifying trailer rim size?

Heya folks!

I had a previous post about trailer and I'm completely new so I really appreciate your help. Having my boat sit on the trailer for the summer will be amazing!

Anyway, I've tried to do as much research as possible on trailers but my situation is that the trailer is 2+ hours away. One of the tires is off the rim, so to make it easy on myself I was simply going to buy a new set of mounted rims and tires to trailer it home. Unless a local tire place you think would have this tire? Or that it could be mounted reasonably cheap? I'm seeing a set of rims and tires for $80-100, although they'll take about 2 weeks to get to me.

My pops can't measure the distance between the bolts since the axel is in the way. I would ask him to take the rim off but he is a busy man.

Anyway, I have the following information from photos he sent me.

It's a 5 lug pattern
The spec on the trailer says 780 w/4.80-12 LRB tires, 3.75 rims at 60 psi.
The rims are also stamped T12X4.

Does that tell you the rim size? Or is that simply tire information? Familiar with car tire sizing but completely lost on the trailer sizing.

Also, if you had a to guess, would you say a 1 7/8" ball hitch?

Thank you in advance!

*PS, it's a Shoreline TE14-6C manufactured in 88 if that helps at all, although I couldn't find any info when searching.
Old 06 June 2017, 20:38   #2

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
US spec bits and pieces are a bit different to the UK stuff, especially wheel PCDs.

However, what you've described sounds very much like a common US spec 12" rim and tyre combination.

I'd say this is your fella here, but measure your stud pattern and PCD first, to make sure (see their second picture for detail on how to do that):

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-4-80-.../dp/B00DA88H6I

I think Shoreline went out of business a long time ago (not to be confused with Shoreland'r), so I can't help with the ball hitch size. You may have to take a couple of different sizes with you.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2017, 04:10   #3

Town: Southwest Colorado
Make: Avon Rover 310 Aero
Engine: Evinrude 6hp 2 smoke
The 4.5" lug bolt pattern is pretty standard for the majority of 5 lug, 12" to 15" diameter wheels as used on light trailers. As for the ball hitch it could be a 1 7/8" given the age of your trailer, but then again 2" ball hitches have been the standard for many years now in the US. Most trailer couplers will have the required ball size stamped on them.
Old 07 June 2017, 05:52   #4

Thanks everyone! Gives me a little reassurance about the rim size. The coupler unfortunately is not stamped with the receiver size. Let me rephrase, it's pretty rusted that you cannot read it. I'm debating if I should just buy another coupler as they seem incredibly cheap.

The trailer is galvanized so I figured the coupler would be. I'm researching that a lot of those might be Zinc instead.

Safety chains are also rusted, not sure how they would hold up. I honestly don't know anything about chains.
Old 07 June 2017, 19:47   #5

Town: Southwest Colorado
Make: Avon Rover 310 Aero
Engine: Evinrude 6hp 2 smoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlomb436 View Post
Thanks everyone! Gives me a little reassurance about the rim size. The coupler unfortunately is not stamped with the receiver size. Let me rephrase, it's pretty rusted that you cannot read it. I'm debating if I should just buy another coupler as they seem incredibly cheap.

The trailer is galvanized so I figured the coupler would be. I'm researching that a lot of those might be Zinc instead.

Safety chains are also rusted, not sure how they would hold up. I honestly don't know anything about chains.
Yeah, couplers are typically zinc plated. As you said they are inexpensive, and you could get one to fit the more common 2" ball. Safety chains are cheap as well, so no reason not to replace those as well. Like the rusty coupler, those old rusty chains may still be functional, but who likes crappy looking equipment?

Another aspect of an older trailer that you'll want to look at are the condition of the wheel bearings... last thing you want is one of those failing and seizing up out on the road.
Old 08 June 2017, 01:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover310 View Post
Yeah, couplers are typically zinc plated. As you said they are inexpensive, and you could get one to fit the more common 2" ball. Safety chains are cheap as well, so no reason not to replace those as well. Like the rusty coupler, those old rusty chains may still be functional, but who likes crappy looking equipment?

Another aspect of an older trailer that you'll want to look at are the condition of the wheel bearings... last thing you want is one of those failing and seizing up out on the road.
Yea someone told me the same thing. No idea how to replace them or grease them but I'll start looking at youtube videos. Problem is I'd prefer just t get it back to my place to work on it rather than a shop with limited tools etc.