Old 19 August 2021, 09:43   #1

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 20hp
Extreme EXT500 - alternatives

I am looking to buy a first trailer for a Zodiac Rib Alu 360 (hard aluminium hull) and have come across these Extreme trailers based in Southampton. The EXT400 will fit my little Rib but might go one bigger to future proof for a bigger boat - an EXT500 for Ribs up to 4.2m:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381034266...sAAOSwX1ZejJuA

Can anyone suggest any good alternatives? These are one of the first I looked at and a little search seems to show favourable reviews...

I'll need Trailer with LED lights, towbar (7-pin plug), numberplate, straps... do I need anything else?!
I have transom wheels on the boat so not planning on putting the trailer in the water if I can help it.
Old 19 August 2021, 10:20   #2

Town: Surrey/Cornwall
Make: Gemini GRX 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu D2 50Hp
Ive got a 750CAT for my GRX420. Great trailer
Old 19 August 2021, 11:12   #3

I took delivery of a new ext400 last week. I'd done a bit of internet searching and their brand had cropped up and never with any issues. I then checked their address which turned out to be Soton so that gave me the impression that if they were terrible then they wouldn't have lasted so long there. Finally, I picked up the phone and I got to speak to a human. Not a computer, nor a lobotomised muppet but a real human being. The sort that listens, speaks sense and is completely upfront about their products. The hat was the clincher.

Throughout the process they were a breeze to deal with and everything went precisely as they had explained it would.

The trailer was a doddle to set up, very simple and heavily over engineered for leisure use.

You don't often get to enjoy spending £1000 in the UK these days and certainly don't often feel you've ended up with something worth more than that £1000.

Old 19 August 2021, 11:19   #4

They are also great if you want to make any modifications. They made me an engine support for the rear of the trailer. Reasonably priced as well.
Old 19 August 2021, 13:32   #5

That's great to know folks, thank you. Did either of you consider getting a slightly larger trailer than your needs - thinking ahead to the possibility of a bigger boat?
Old 19 August 2021, 13:37   #6

I didn't because I reckoned that if I did go for a Rib I'd either buy a used one already on a good trailer or dry stack it, but regardless, it would be a whole different kettle of fish trailer wise.

If I had a smaller SIB then I would have still bought the 400 though so I could go a bit bigger without the hassle.
Old 19 August 2021, 16:06   #7

Thanks TM - I seem to remember you have the 250 Excel wheels? Can I ask how much your whole fully loaded rig (boat/OB/gear) weighs when you roll it on the transom wheels?
Old 19 August 2021, 16:10   #8

Mine came with the boat, as a second hand purchase. But the trailer was basically brand new.

Old 19 August 2021, 16:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
Thanks TM - I seem to remember you have the 250 Excel wheels? Can I ask how much your whole fully loaded rig (boat/OB/gear) weighs when you roll it on the transom wheels?
The boat weighs 66kg and the 15 2 stroke is 34kg. There's then the fuel tank, anchor bag and 20L bags for the three of us so the whole lot is probably about 125kg.

The two things that make solo hand launching doable is firstly to remember to fit the 250 wheels the right way around so they are under the transom!! and secondly a pair of weight lifting handles which I clip onto the front of the boat.

Even though the boat is now transported on the trailer at most places, on your own, it's easier to push it off the trailer, get rid of car and trailer then hand launch and go.
Old 20 August 2021, 12:36   #10

Both boats look great...
Mine is a little smaller than both of your boats - I think either the EXT400 or 500 will do the job well.

TM - thanks for the info. Very similar to my setup in weight. My boat is 50kg, OB is 48kg +fuel +bags probably puts it at 130kg. I can easily push it the 500m to the ramp on the seafront here. I push rather than pull as I find it much easier going - usually just hold the bow and let the friction on my hands hold it up (very light to lift with the transom wheels under the boat) but I also rigged a guitar strap to the D rings on either side which I use occasionally.

What kind of weight lifting handles do you mean?

Thanks
Old 20 August 2021, 21:16   #11

Quote:
Both boats look great...
Mine is a little smaller than both of your boats - I think either the EXT400 or 500 will do the job well.

TM - thanks for the info. Very similar to my setup in weight. My boat is 50kg, OB is 48kg +fuel +bags probably puts it at 130kg. I can easily push it the 500m to the ramp on the seafront here. I push rather than pull as I find it much easier going - usually just hold the bow and let the friction on my hands hold it up (very light to lift with the transom wheels under the boat) but I also rigged a guitar strap to the D rings on either side which I use occasionally.

What kind of weight lifting handles do you mean?

Thanks
These are the ones I have. I bought them for moving stuff in the workshop but they're perfect for the boat. They mean you don't have to stoop so low and can use both hands easily.

They were a saver today hauling the boat up a long muddy ramp at low water!!
Old 20 August 2021, 22:33   #12

Thanks TM - did you mean to put up a picture?!
Old 21 August 2021, 08:16   #13

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
I have the Extreme 500kg model for my 4m Avon. Very good product - and as stated the chaps at Extreme are very helpful. A nice feature is you can have the rollers etc in just about any colour you want - everything is made in house.
Old 21 August 2021, 08:48   #14

Quote:
Thanks TM - did you mean to put up a picture?!
Err, yes!! Good spot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07RR8BSKF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1
Old 21 August 2021, 09:33   #15

Ah nice thanks - I like the snap-on-ness of them with the carabina...

I thought you meant like these where you'd put your hand through and take the weight in the back of your wrist... trapeze artist style!!
Old 21 August 2021, 09:49   #16

That style would be amusing as you got dragged down the slipway with the boat.

Over the years I've found these handles useful for cumbersome objects such as outboards and they significantly reduce the risk of doing something daft to your back. I tried them on the D ring of the boat when I first set it up and they're excellent for not having to bend your back and you can use both hands comfortably. Without them I don't think I'd have been able to haul the boat out yesterday at low water.
Old 21 August 2021, 11:09   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
That's great to know folks, thank you. Did either of you consider getting a slightly larger trailer than your needs - thinking ahead to the possibility of a bigger boat?

I think buying a boat to fit the trailer you already own would be just about the worst criteria! Personally I’d buy the smaller trailer and deal with a new trailer if and when you are buying a new boat.
Old 21 August 2021, 12:22   #18

Yeh they look good TM - sold!

I use the guitar strap for pushing a distance but use this repurposed snooker cue (!) through the bow D ring to pull the boat up the beach or over shingle... it's great to be able to put your weight behind it, and long enough for two people, one each side!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3088.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	138520  
Old 21 August 2021, 12:24   #19

Poly - yes true that... I was only thinking along those lines as I kind of had a specific boat in mind... or possibly owning both.

But I'm sure selling a boat/trailer/OB package would be the way to go as and when.
Old 25 August 2021, 02:11   #20

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Nice looking trailer Tim.

But I'm surprised it's legal.

The tail lights are a long way from the end of the boat and there seems to be too much boat overhanging at the rear.

Here in West Oz I see a lot of illegal trailers but the law seems to ignore it.