Click Here to Login

Old 04 April 2021, 22:35   #1

Town: Eastbourne
Boat name: Jetski
Make: Seadoo
Length: 3m +
Engine: Petrol
Eastbourne - Help needed shingle beach

I live in Eastbourne and recently bought a jetski - BIG MISTAKE!! Before buying I planned ways on how I would get the trailer (with ski on) down the shingle beach and back up BUT I did not envisage the problems I have encountered. So far I have had two bad efforts of getting to the sea; both times it has took 2-3 hours to get it back off the beach (we haven't got to the sea yet) when the trailer wheels sunk (first time) and then 2nd time using planks to roll on however this also proved to be a nightmare. I have searched the net and wondered if anyone could offer any guidance please? I was told that the grey brick boxes scattered on Eastbourne sea front have electric winches in but who owns them, how do I get access? Is there really no slipway that is available for use in the Eastbourne area without driving miles? Any guidance would be really gratefully received as I have 3 unhappy kids not to mention how gutted I am.
I see jetski's off eastbourne coast so often, how/where? Tks Dean
Old 05 April 2021, 13:58   #2

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/view-slipway/2166

As an idea

Good website also
Old 05 April 2021, 14:14   #3

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean D View Post
I live in Eastbourne and recently bought a jetski - BIG MISTAKE!! Before buying I planned ways on how I would get the trailer (with ski on) down the shingle beach and back up BUT I did not envisage the problems I have encountered. So far I have had two bad efforts of getting to the sea; both times it has took 2-3 hours to get it back off the beach (we haven't got to the sea yet) when the trailer wheels sunk (first time) and then 2nd time using planks to roll on however this also proved to be a nightmare. I have searched the net and wondered if anyone could offer any guidance please? I was told that the grey brick boxes scattered on Eastbourne sea front have electric winches in but who owns them, how do I get access? Is there really no slipway that is available for use in the Eastbourne area without driving miles? Any guidance would be really gratefully received as I have 3 unhappy kids not to mention how gutted I am.
I see jetski's off eastbourne coast so often, how/where? Tks Dean
Your trailer - is it running normal width tyres? You can get pwc trailers with wide tyres that are for beach launching, the extra flotation makes a huge difference
Old 05 April 2021, 15:02   #4

@Rick - Thanks, the link you gave shows a pic of some kind of trolley and the details below suggests it is called 'Big Foot' launching trolley. Just searched online/Ebay etc and cannot find anything similar for jetski's. Do you know what they are actually called?

@Lee - Thanks, standard tyres; I might have to find a trailer dealer and look for wider which I assume are roadworthy too.
Old 05 April 2021, 15:11   #5

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean D View Post
@Rick - Thanks, the link you gave shows a pic of some kind of trolley and the details below suggests it is called 'Big Foot' launching trolley. Just searched online/Ebay etc and cannot find anything similar for jetski's. Do you know what they are actually called?

@Lee - Thanks, standard tyres; I might have to find a trailer dealer and look for wider which I assume are roadworthy too.
100% road legal, just wider tyres https://www.e-trailers.co.uk/extreme...43m-3284-p.asp
Old 05 April 2021, 21:33   #6

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Why not find out where other PWCs launch locally ....maybe you should travel to a better launch site. May be a lot less hassle.
Old 06 April 2021, 07:08   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I'm local - there is no slipway along the East Sussex coast other than Rye to the far east or Newhaven to the west.

Or use Sovereign lift in/out but that's expensive and not sure if they let them in anyway.

Most jetskiers use the beaches closer to the sailing club between the Redoubt and Princes Park.

Best thing is to make contact with them and share the load when launching.

Any winches on the ES beaches are owned by sailing/fishing clubs or local (professional) trawlers.

Obviously you need to work with the tides and have the right trailer/wheels for the pebble/shingle/sand/mud mix we have here.

Sorry I cannot help more, not a jetskiiers - can't stand the things, PITA.
Old 06 April 2021, 11:14   #8

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Sorry I cannot help more, not a jetskiiers - can't stand the things, PITA.
Its a real shame a small minority spoil it for everyone else

Saw lots of skis out off the south coast over the weekend, all enjoying the flat conditions Sunday and all as far as I could tell behaving themselves and upsetting no-one

Old 06 April 2021, 11:20   #9

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
Last time I was at Sovereign Harbour there where quite a few on tetra docks in the marina, nt sure what they cahrge for this but worth a look to save a lot of faf!
Old 06 April 2021, 21:34   #10

Sovereign Harbour charge as they have to use the crane and there is a 4 week book in advance process which doesn’t really suit. I don’t really like the idea of having to travel hours just to launch a Jetski when I live 2 mins from the sea so as the saying goes, “God loves a trier”.

I now have plan B!! I have bought a 4500lb electric winch, 50 metres of 2000 kg strength rope and a toe ball mounting plate for it to sit on. Next thing on my list is to source some monster truck wheels for the trailer and hopefully all of this should do the trick........... failing that look out on eBay for a listing titled ‘not recently used Jetski with electric winch, rope and mounting plate’.😀

Thanks for the advice all.
Old 06 April 2021, 21:57   #11

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
,If you can get the trailer to the beach then mount a 12 volt battery winch with dyneema and battery on the trailer and block the trailer or chain it to a lamp post on the promenade ,then use rollers or big fenders ( 3 needed)to roll the ski down the beach and winch back with rollers ,load and unload the ski against the prom
know nothing about jetskis but i have a couple of friends who put out pots and gill nets from beach launch of very heavy clinker built boats by exactly this system