Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 29 May 2014, 13:16   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 338
Does towing wreck your vehicle?

Bit of a Poll really.

In our Diving Club we have two RIBS and an inflatable.

We have a 5.4 Tornado with a 90Hp Optimax on a twinaxle braked trailer plated at around 1200Kg.

We have a 5.5 Humber (not sure which model) with a 90Hp Optimax on a single axle braked trailer plated at around 1300Kg.

We have a Bombard C5 (I think it is) with 40Hp on an unbraked trailer.

If appropriate towing vehicles and towing 'style' are employed does it wreck the towing vehicle?

Should we be recompensing those that tow in lieu of extra wear and tear as well as fuel used to tow?

Just a straw poll really!

Thanks in advance for any input
__________________

__________________
David G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2014, 13:18   #2
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,828
RIBase
Bit more tyre wear and brake wear, but it doesn't wreck the vehicle.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2014, 13:28   #3
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Bit more tyre wear and brake wear, but it doesn't wreck the vehicle.
agreed .... and yes you would expect the tow vehicle to use more than its normal mpg for fuel .. I'll have a stab at about 25-30 % more
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2014, 13:56   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,046
Depending on your launch/recovery sites, technique and how close the trailers are to the limit you might find it accelerates clutch wear...

...but if the person sells on to the next unsuspecting owner they probably don't experience any loss, or if it fails the cost of replacing the clutch is probably more than you are prepared to cough up!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2014, 14:18   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Only if you drive the vehicle into the sea until the boat floats off of the trailer. If you reverse in and not let the nasty salty stuff near the shiney alloys, all will be dandy for years. :-)
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2014, 14:22   #6
Member
 
Peter_C's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,486
Where and how much weight you tow dictates the wear on the towing vehicle. In the mountains a vehicle will get trashed. If the vehicle is at or near it's maximum capacity it will also take a beating. If it is towing at 50% capacity on fairly flat ground the wear is next to nothing. Of course how you drive while towing also dictates wear.
__________________
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2014, 14:42   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Where and how much weight you tow dictates the wear on the towing vehicle. In the mountains a vehicle will get trashed. If the vehicle is at or near it's maximum capacity it will also take a beating. If it is towing at 50% capacity on fairly flat ground the wear is next to nothing. Of course how you drive while towing also dictates wear.
Absolutely correct in the last sentence. If the vehicle is driven with care and consideration, there is little reason why any additional wear should occur due to towing. Ribs really aren't that heavy, I tow a. 3500kg gtw mini digger, my 7m feels like its not there by comparison.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2014, 18:01   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 338
So what we are saying here is that if the all up weight is within the recommended limits for your vehicle and you drive sensibly there should not be any extra wear and tear.......
however if you try to drive the same as if nothing was hooked up behind you might experience some 'issues'! ???
__________________
David G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2014, 18:17   #9
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by David G View Post
So what we are saying here is that if the all up weight is within the recommended limits for your vehicle and you drive sensibly there should not be any extra wear and tear.......
however if you try to drive the same as if nothing was hooked up behind you might experience some 'issues'! ???
I think you were hoping for a post you maybe didnt get .. no .. all pretty much said yes .. more wear and tear and extra fuel .. but it wont 'wreck' your vehicle as in your original post .. Kinda obvious when you put extra weight on any vehicle ?
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2014, 18:29   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gillingham
Boat name: Harrys Game
Make: Avon WB 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha F50
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I think you were hoping for a post you maybe didnt get .. no .. all pretty much said yes .. more wear and tear and extra fuel .. but it wont 'wreck' your vehicle as in your original post .. Kinda obvious when you put extra weight on any vehicle ?
Absolutely spot on, Regards Jim.
__________________
Man chases women until she catches him.
Harrys Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 04:53   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 681
Will the same vehicle be carrying people and diving gear, for example bottles as well as towing the RIB?
__________________
Rokraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 08:40   #12
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,788
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
Will the same vehicle be carrying people and diving gear, for example bottles as well as towing the RIB?
From my own point of view, just towing a boat is fine, add a full car of people, associated kit and the boat, then it's safe to say the rear springs can take a battering. Don't ask me how I know.
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 13:13   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I think you were hoping for a post you maybe didnt get .. no .. all pretty much said yes .. more wear and tear and extra fuel .. but it wont 'wreck' your vehicle as in your original post .. Kinda obvious when you put extra weight on any vehicle ?
Hi,
No, not at all.

I know that you will use extra fuel and wear your brakes etc.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough

If someone says to me "I'm never going to tow because it wrecks my clutch on the slipway, it wrecks my brakes on the trip etc etc" then should I believe them or suggest to them that either they are driving badly or have an inadequate vehicle?

Of course towing is going to accelerate consumable use.

As far as filling the car with dive and boat kit, this does happen but if we remain within the MAM 'wrecking' shouldn't occur............correct?

It is the 'wrecking' statement I am after confirmation/denial of.

Sorry if this wasn't clear!
__________________
David G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 13:51   #14
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,828
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by David G View Post

If someone says to me "I'm never going to tow because it wrecks my clutch on the slipway, it wrecks my brakes on the trip etc etc" then should I believe them or suggest to them that either they are driving badly or have an inadequate vehicle?
Well, given that when towing a 7.8m my clutch is usually fully out sub-1000 RPM and I barely use the brakes I'll let you draw your own conclusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David G View Post

Of course towing is going to accelerate consumable use.

As far as filling the car with dive and boat kit, this does happen but if we remain within the MAM 'wrecking' shouldn't occur............correct?

It is the 'wrecking' statement I am after confirmation/denial of.

Sorry if this wasn't clear!
'Wrecking' or 'accelerated wear of the whole vehicle'?
Most people for example don't often use anything apart from the drivers seat, don't lug cylinders into the boot, put wet kit in their car et cetera.
Prolonged use like that is going to mess a vehicle up cosmetically for a start and to plenty, the vehicle is then 'wrecked'.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 13:56   #15
Member
 
bingosucks's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 557
just for interest i have a megane 1.9 diesel estate

on a trip to warsash 150 miles

no boat 58mpg
with boat 48mpg

on an avon sr4 i do tend to drive fairly slow much to the wifeys displeasure lol
__________________
bingosucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 14:55   #16
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,046
I think your problem is you have a different definition of wreck than the person you are talking to. He means "will add unnecessary wear and tear to my pride and joy" and you are hearing "will result in terminal failure".
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 15:29   #17
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,335
RIBase
year 1999 e 200 automatic merc without boat 29 mpg with boat circe 15 mpg (valiant dr 490)
__________________
two stroke mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 16:20   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
year 1999 e 200 automatic merc without boat 29 mpg with boat circe 15 mpg (valiant dr 490)
Maybe 'coz it's a bit of a gutless old fart that struggles to pull itself about without a boat on the back?
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2014, 15:22   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I think your problem is you have a different definition of wreck than the person you are talking to. He means "will add unnecessary wear and tear to my pride and joy" and you are hearing "will result in terminal failure".
Yes, you are probably correct here

Currently we re-imburse them for ALL the fuel they use towing despite the fact that they were going anyway.

Some people think this is enough re-imbursement others think they should get more as it adds time to their trip and 'wrecks' their vehicles............
__________________
David G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2014, 15:45   #20
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,828
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by David G View Post
Yes, you are probably correct here

Currently we re-imburse them for ALL the fuel they use towing despite the fact that they were going anyway.

Some people think this is enough re-imbursement others think they should get more as it adds time to their trip and 'wrecks' their vehicles............
So, if they didn't/weren't allowed to tow the boat, they'd have to chip in for the fuel?
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.