Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 19 December 2012, 09:19   #1

Length: 5m +
costs of transporting the boat in uk

Hey,
Guys could you help me and give me a costs for renting a car and trailer in uk? or estimates costs for transporting rib around UK. (a car, driver and trailer) 6m long RIB
Old 19 December 2012, 16:58   #2

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
I had to pay £500 to have my 6.8m rib put on a flatbed and transported from Weymouth to Yeovil and back. I won't be doing that again in a hurry.
Old 19 December 2012, 17:00   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Where from and to?

I've become a massive fan of the "Shiply" reverse auction website for getting stuff shifted around. As a guide I paid £120 for a large twin axle SBS trailer to come here from Wales. Paid £199 last week for a 5m RIB to be delivered from near Hull. Both delivered to near Southampton, and both on the back of a truck.

I know a couple of places locally where I can hire a 4x4 with towbar and a boat trailer. Would be around £100 for both a day plus fuel.
Old 19 December 2012, 18:48   #4

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Where from and to?

I've become a massive fan of the "Shiply" reverse auction website for getting stuff shifted around. As a guide I paid £120 for a large twin axle SBS trailer to come here from Wales. Paid £199 last week for a 5m RIB to be delivered from near Hull. Both delivered to near Southampton, and both on the back of a truck.

I know a couple of places locally where I can hire a 4x4 with towbar and a boat trailer. Would be around £100 for both a day plus fuel.
Problem with Shiply is you don't get to see the company details before committing. We needed a delivery of an un-breaked trailer with a rib on it, from Plymouth to Aberdeen. We specifically specified it had to be transported, not towed. Stupidly cheap quotes came in as low as £300 for it to be towed (illegally) which were declined, £500 was accepted for transported, on the assumption he had other work to make it so cheap. It turned out he was going to tow it all the way, under the disguise of towing it 5 miles to his "storage yard" with the transporter ready to load it. Rubbish! He lived in Northumberland and would have just towed it all the way.

Half of the quotes on it are from people who have no idea of the laws. It must be a nightmare for the legitimate haulers who tender for work, as they will always be beaten even as much as by 50% by the guy who probably doesn't even pay tax!

Still, when it works its amazing what you can save!!

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
Old 19 December 2012, 19:25   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
True about never knowing quite how it will turn up. The truck the other day was a flatbed Sprinter with no ramp. Fortunately we had a hosit which lifted it off without too much trouble, but could have been a right headache. The driver didn't know anything about boats; he worked for a company that delivered sheds!
Old 19 December 2012, 19:52   #6

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
If you fill in our quote form at www.boat-transportation.co.uk you will receive an instant automated quotation.

While you might get lucky on Shiply, there are a lot of 'cowboys' on there using illegal vehicles (no tachograph, no O licence, not capable of carrying the weight, etc) and without proper insurance. One of our customers paid a large deposit to a transporter on there to bring a 31ft 5 ton yacht back from Greece. The guy turned up in an old breakdown truck towing a 3.5 ton trailer. He was unable to get the boat loaded, so returned empty. The last I heard the customer still had not had his deposit returned.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote