Old 27 July 2021, 22:14   #1
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Converting bunks to tilting rollers...

Ive made a few trailer “improvements” in recent months and they are helping make the time from arrival to launch or recovery to ready to go better but it still feels like there is a major hassle factor in getting the boat on/off the trailer itself. Several years ago i bought rollers from someone here with the plan to convert trailer from bunks to the tilting rollers. I never got round to fitting them as the time/hassle of removing boat from trailer never worked out but I may have the opportunity next week.

So, anyone any tips on how to set up rollers on a chassis for the first time? I have a number of keel rollers which seem straight forward but also some tilting style rollers. Is it just a case of offering up to the current boat position, marking position, remove boat, bolting in place, remove bunks and cross fingers the boat slips back on?
Old 28 July 2021, 08:20   #2

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
My last rib all the bit were there just in the wrong places, I moved them all about with the Rib on the trailer, it was just easier to get everything right.

I supported it bow and stern 1st.
Old 28 July 2021, 10:17   #3

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote "I have a number of keel rollers "
Bear in mind keel rollers go with bunks or provide protection only when loading or unloading from striking a x member ,the last thing you need is swinging rollers and weight bearing keel rollers ,this is the most common problem when boats dont slide off the trailer , look closely at a rollerbunk type system and arrange your rollers similar so the hull sit above any keel roller riding only on the free rollers ,chain your boat to the front of the trailer when in transit held forward by the winch . when you arrive to launch if your trailer is right you should have to hold on to the winch handle as the boat trys to escape the trailer ,you float a boat off bunks but you roll the boat off rollers
"Remember the clue is in the word roller "
Old 28 July 2021, 10:31   #4
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Quote "I have a number of keel rollers "
Bear in mind keel rollers go with bunks or provide protection only when loading or unloading from striking a x member
thanks - my original plan was to add keel rollers only and I bought a bunch (can't remember how many half a dozen? - then realised it was more complicated to fit them in the right place than I imagined. Then I saw someone selling the tilting rollers so grabbed them but never progressed. There are two cross members that might benefit from a roller and possibly somewhere near the bow - but not worrying about having the keel rollers in contact at the same time as the tilting ones is going to make it much easier to install... thanks for that - I've seen trailers with both including where the keel is taking the weight - so good to know that probably bad.

In terms of where on the hull the rollers should sit - I'm thinking either side of the chine?

Quote:
when you arrive to launch if your trailer is right you should have to hold on to the winch handle as the boat trys to escape the trailer ,you float a boat off bunks but you roll the boat off rollers
That's the aim!
Old 28 July 2021, 10:33   #5
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
My last rib all the bit were there just in the wrong places, I moved them all about with the Rib on the trailer, it was just easier to get everything right.

I supported it bow and stern 1st.
OK, I'll keep that in mind as a possibility - I think I'll need to take it off first so I can remove the bunks as they will inevitably be in the way of the new rollers.
Old 28 July 2021, 11:40   #6

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
Alternative suggestion for cross members rather than rollers (which generally don't!) if the purpose is just to protect the Hull if/when it runs over the cross member, install a block of HDPE instead. Will protect the hull just as well from rubbing damage, require zero maintenance and don't jam.
Old 28 July 2021, 14:07   #7

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
just a couple of picture if any help !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210728_144556_5.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	185.9 KB