Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03 November 2014, 18:42   #61

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

My trailer keys aren't on my car key ring but are in my pocket. The boat keys are on the same key ring which avoids the embarrassing 4hrs round trip to get them when I left them at home - so another reason for locking them is if I have the trailer keys I know I have the boat keys.
+1
I use plastic covered SS wire(motor bike lock) off trailer and through tow ring on the car.
Mainly so the trailer wont get nicked when left at the slip.
Old 03 November 2014, 19:44   #62

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
I'm a bit surprised there should be a conversation about the legalities of having a trailer locked onto the towing vehicle. Our indespension trailers have come with auto locking hitches for years. You have to put key in and unlock the hitch then pull the hitch lever up whilst still holding the key in the unlock position. Once its on the hitch the key needs to come out or it will end up on t'road somewhere. Saves it going walkabout at a motorway service area hopefully, although I doubt it would deter a pro thief.
The only issue we have had here with locked hitches is on the beach where our local club launches by trailer. The beach is sandy but crossed by a number of gullies that can have deep mud in them. They had a tractor with boat and trailer bogged down in a gulley when the driver tried to have the tractor climb an impossible slope. Problem was then that the trailer was a triple lock thingie so it was locked onto the tractor. Ended up launching the boat onto the mud in the gulley bottom in order to save the tractor from the incoming tide.
Upshot of all that was that the club banned locking hitches. The auto locking ones are now all disabled when on the tractor by having a jubilee clip tightened round the lock barrel to hold it out. Simples-and it works.
Old 03 November 2014, 22:21   #63

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
...and that's the very reason I try to lift the car using the trailer drawbar before I even plug the lights in!
+1 I do the same!

Just because you put a lock on it it dose not make sure you have hitched up properly!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2014, 06:50   #64
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
+1 I do the same!

Just because you put a lock on it it dose not make sure you have hitched up properly!
+2 and I put the lock on if I stop in the motorway services, but normally just buy a drink in a petrol station so I can see the rig

Lad who works for me is a big caravan nut and he won't tow anything that he hasn't hitched and checked himself, he uses an Alko hitch reckons they are no.1

This looks interesting

AL-KO Website ยป Sensabrake
Old 03 February 2015, 20:28   #65

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
I just scanned this thread, so I'll apologize in advance if this bit of brilliance is a duplicate...

My guess is that those who "cheap out" on their trailer, do so because they don't haul their boats far. I know folks in Tobermory (Ontario) that have never moved their boat more than a half kilometer at a stretch. Backyard to ramp. Ramp to backyard. Indeed, that is mostly me too... And I can damn near hit the ramp with a good throw from my front yard. For this use, I could use a shop dolly or a wheelbarrow to launch with, if they were big enough.

However, I occasionally tow much longer distances though, so while my trailer is older, all of the stuff on it has been replaced at one time or another... axle, springs, hubs etc.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote