Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'm just quoting the law. I think.
Table VI, Exceptions : https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/made
You dont think things might have changed since 1989?

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 24 August 2022, 08:17   #22

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
It's still the 1989 Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations albeit there has been some modifications.

It would still appear that boat trailers do not need to have front or side marker lamps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Lights.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	141371  
Old 24 August 2022, 08:40   #23

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
You dont think things might have changed since 1989?
No need to be condescending. You're welcome to disagree with me, but that doesn't change the law.

1989 was when the regulations came in. There have been many amendments to it since then, most recently in 2017 IIRC, but it's still "The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989" and this exception for boat trailers is still in place.

Tell you what - if either of us get stopped, I'll quote the law and you quote trailertek. That works for me.
Old 24 August 2022, 10:35   #24

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
No need to be condescending. You're welcome to disagree with me, but that doesn't change the law.

1989 was when the regulations came in. There have been many amendments to it since then, most recently in 2017 IIRC, but it's still "The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989" and this exception for boat trailers is still in place.

Tell you what - if either of us get stopped, I'll quote the law and you quote trailertek. That works for me.
Come on Matt - keep up! The last amendment to the 1989 regulations was 1st September 2020 but the table you identified hasn't changed.
Old 24 August 2022, 10:53   #25

You're absolutely right, I let the ball drop there didn't I. Must try harder.
Old 24 August 2022, 11:02   #26

@Guy - was it you I was discussing classic motor yacht restoration with some years back? (You were involved in a beautiful restoration yourself, IIRC?) It looks like the writing is on the wall for Llys Helig, doesn't it.
Old 24 August 2022, 17:38   #27

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:

I wasnt intending to be condescending sorry if you thought that. Trailer rules are notoriously difficult to interpret & are occasionally ambiguous where one rule in a certain set of regulations appears to contradict another, possibly the construction rules for new trailers make them a requirement after a certain date. Your link doesn't mention reverse lights on boat trailers but presumably in certain circumstances they are required. Often trailer manufacturers are a in a good place to simplify regs which could easily confuse us laymen & put them into simple terms. The fact many boat trailer manufacturers are now fitting side marker lights would suggest that they are either required or possibly they just think they look good idk[emoji2369].
There used to be heated discussions about trailer weights, many believed if you were towing a 3500kg trailer empty with a vehicle rated 2500kg then you could be prosecuted & I think a few folk were.To settle the argument Ifor Williams published a letter for download they received from the main man at vosa in response to the question & he confirmed it wasn't illegal as long as the actual weight was below the 2.5t tow capacity. I kept a copy in my glove box for a long while just in case I got stopped. The fact a major trailer maker had to ask the question shows what a minefield we are in.
At the end of the day if you have front & side markers your not going to get prosecuted if their not needed but if they are required & you dont have them then you possibly will. Unlikely but possible

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 24 August 2022, 21:11   #28

No worries. I'm just a southern pussy and I forgot you're from "up there".

Anyway - this particular reg is clear and also backed up buy the NTTA's notes, although their description is less clear than the text of the law, which in this case is very clear.

Let's not go there re. towing weights. It is one reason why I drive an old V8 landrover for boat towing though, it's relatively small but still plated to tow 3500 kg. Quite what that means though...as per your note.......
Old 24 August 2022, 21:50   #29

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
There are some amazing tales re towing and the regs ,but athough it doesnt exempt you from the law a little common sense can help you to look like you are making an effort which must count for something
I rarely run at night ,however if you do you may find side markers handy ,Well enter the "new world " of LED,s what i have done is aquired a few small electronic enclosures , i have then mounted led side markers on the top with pp9 batteries inside (used from bleeping smoke detectors which still last months ) a bit of lidl stick on velcro and fit when needed ........not legal i,m sure but you can see all you need and you must be a little safer !!
Old 24 August 2022, 22:10   #30

Yeah, I'm a big fan of LED lights. They glow nicely even powered by the shit (even when new) landrover loom
Old 25 August 2022, 05:51   #31

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
my 2016 de graaf trailer came with side marker lights on the mudguards and the trailer board has extensions with side markers .it also has reversing light and fog light all standard equipment

Tags
trailer