Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargan View Post
Had a reply from Everbuild / Sika support .... they do not have an adhesive that will work with HDPE. Standard Hi-grab adhesive sealant will initially work, but the HDPE will form a new surface and bond will fail.

I think you’re on a hiding to nowhere going down the glue route. Any polyethylene is virtually un-gluable due to its nature. If you did find a product that would stick to it, you’re then up against sticking it to galvanised steel, which is another difficult substrate. Finding a product that would stick to both, AND have the mechanical strength not to drop off the first time the keel hits it is a big ask. IMO if you’re intent on going down the “bumper/buffer” route, it has to be a mechanical fix. I still think you could “dial out” the problem, but that’s another conversation.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 17:42   #82

Length: 6m +
I may just resort to cable ties.

I know you think I can make an adjustment t9 fix it, but SBS & boat dealer been involved in optimising this set up.
It sits perfectly .... if I move front rollers further forward it will make matters worse.
I could move rollers back, but I feel that would leave too much of hull unsupported.

This ‘pad’ is only a ‘safety belt’, it won’t be touched in normal use.
Old 31 March 2021, 18:16   #83

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargan View Post
Had a reply from Everbuild / Sika support .... they do not have an adhesive that will work with HDPE. Standard Hi-grab adhesive sealant will initially work, but the HDPE will form a new surface and bond will fail.
If it were me and since it’s only a just in case protection I would get some 5mm HDPE wide enough to pass past the rollers on the axle and two decent jubilee clips fitted in that area where the keel won’t rub on them put in position tighten up and heat gun it tightening the jubilee clips as I go until it’s formed over the axle and doesn’t slip. It can be took off when not needed for the boat taken off the trailer on dry land.
Old 01 April 2021, 01:00   #84

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
It seems to me your trying quite hard to cure a problem you dont have. If the boat was only in danger of hitting the axle when launching onto the lawn then take care when doing so on the very rare occasion you do it. Other wise if it doesnt catch on launching in the water then just use it stop worrying and sleep well.
I certainly wouldn't start messing with the trailer set up if its fine in every other respect
Old 01 April 2021, 09:22   #85

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
If it were me and since it’s only a just in case protection I would get some 5mm HDPE wide enough to pass past the rollers on the axle and two decent jubilee clips fitted in that area where the keel won’t rub on them put in position tighten up and heat gun it tightening the jubilee clips as I go until it’s formed over the axle and doesn’t slip. It can be took off when not needed for the boat taken off the trailer on dry land.

Think this could be a useful approach