Old 16 March 2021, 09:17   #21

Length: 6m +
Don’t have the head height in garage for that.
I’ll take boat off trailer ...
Old 23 March 2021, 20:41   #22

First attempt failed ... all set up started pulling trailer out, but as soon as it clears front rollers, thehull drops down, and keel is going to hit axle.
As I was on my own, decided to stop, winched trailer back in.
Perhaps I’ll not drop hitch so low at start so supports at transom not holding stern up so much. (Pushing bow down when not supported by rollers)
Or have to use intermediate hull supports ... shuffling them along as trailer comes out.
Old 23 March 2021, 22:40   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargan View Post
First attempt failed ... all set up started pulling trailer out, but as soon as it clears front rollers, thehull drops down, and keel is going to hit axle.

As I was on my own, decided to stop, winched trailer back in.

Perhaps I’ll not drop hitch so low at start so supports at transom not holding stern up so much. (Pushing bow down when not supported by rollers)

Or have to use intermediate hull supports ... shuffling them along as trailer comes out.

Have you got some side on photos of the problem ?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 23:01   #24

No didn’t take any photos ... but it was when trailer rolled fwd ... and bow came ‘off’ the fri t set of rollers.
Then came down so keel almost touching cross axle.
My assumption is the height of rear support were keeping stern high, and once bow came off roller, it allowed hull to pivot at the support point of rear roller bogey ... thus pushing bow down.

I’ll try it again (with another pair of eyes) without stern up so high.
I had followed advice to lower hitch to floor ... before proping stern ... maybe I need to no5 put hitch so low.
Old 23 March 2021, 23:05   #25

RIBase
Quote:
No didn’t take any photos ... but it was when trailer rolled fwd ... and bow came ‘off’ the fri t set of rollers.
Then came down so keel almost touching cross axle.
My assumption is the height of rear support were keeping stern high, and once bow came off roller, it allowed hull to pivot at the support point of rear roller bogey ... thus pushing bow down.

I’ll try it again (with another pair of eyes) without stern up so high.
I had followed advice to lower hitch to floor ... before proping stern ... maybe I need to no5 put hitch so low.

The trailer should be hitched on the car when you pull it out. You pull the trailer out with the vehicle [emoji848]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 23 March 2021, 23:13   #26

Yep ...
dropped hitch to floor
Propped up stern
Strapped stern so boat could not come forward
Hitched up trailer to car
Disconnect boat winch & safety chain
Moved car fwd to bring trailer out from under boat
To put trailer back in place
Car in Neutral, handbrake off.
Connected winch strap to boat
Winched in trailer & car until trailer back in correct position
Old 23 March 2021, 23:36   #27

RIBase
Quote:
Yep ...
dropped hitch to floor
Propped up stern
Strapped stern so boat could not come forward
Hitched up trailer to car
Disconnect boat winch & safety chain
Moved car fwd to bring trailer out from under boat
To put trailer back in place
Car in Neutral, handbrake off.
Connected winch strap to boat
Winched in trailer & car until trailer back in correct position

Noooo! Don’t drop the hitch!! Leave the trailer hitched on. Secure the boat to something solid & just pull forward so the boat comes about 18” off the trailer & chock under the transom. Move forward & chock as you go. The boat should come off the trailer parallel to the ground. See the detailed steps in the “how to”I posted. I never mentioned dropping the hitch
Old 24 March 2021, 00:08   #28

I followed the advice in post #13. :
You can make life a bit easier by winding your jockey wheel all the way up which will raise the aft end of the boat. You can then put a block underneath the aft end of the boat and wind the jocket wheel down which will effective lift the back end of the boat off the trailer.”

I’ll try it again without lowering bow first.
Old 24 March 2021, 08:52   #29

RIBase
Quote:
I followed the advice in post #13. :
You can make life a bit easier by winding your jockey wheel all the way up which will raise the aft end of the boat. You can then put a block underneath the aft end of the boat and wind the jocket wheel down which will effective lift the back end of the boat off the trailer.”

I’ll try it again without lowering bow first.
What GuyC is describing there is a different method. He is lifting the transom off the trailer to adjust the rear rollers, he isn't pulling the trailer out from under the boat.
Old 24 March 2021, 08:54   #30

OK ... I combined both ... I’ll try again when I get another pair of eyes.
Old 24 March 2021, 09:17   #31

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Might it be that the front or rear roller carriages are not optimally placed? A little reconfiguration is needed?
Old 24 March 2021, 10:43   #32

They are optimally placed for normal use ... but may not be for 'taking trailer off'
Old 24 March 2021, 10:50   #33

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
They are optimally placed for normal use ... but may not be for 'taking trailer off'
I notice PD has roller bunks and this would make a massive difference.
Old 24 March 2021, 12:12   #34

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Well done ,i reckon we are getting further than you realise re your other post about getting the boat launched ,if the front drops down like that ,then its no wonder it wont come off the rollers when you launch it .........i realise you have twin axles and hence nose weight is not telling the truth like it would on a single axle ,you dont say what boat it is so a little in the dark but is it a cabin rib ? (which i havnt got a clue about) or if not is it full of water ?? think how much % of the weight be over the back axle in normal situation ,unless you have a very heavy anchor !
Old 24 March 2021, 16:14   #35

The only reason boat drops like it did was because rear supports were pushing stern upwards.
I had followed the step of dropping hitch to floor and propping stern then raising hitch and putting on vehicles .... This meant signfifant upwards force on transom, front rollers stop hull going down .. but once rolled back clear of front rollers the hull pivots about the rear rollers .... the rear supports in effect pushing boat up by about 6" which means hull comes down by about 12" due to offset pivot.

Without rear supports pushing hull upwards, boats will roll in on out on trailer without dipping of bow.
Old 24 March 2021, 18:42   #36

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
It was me that wrote post 13.

I was moving the trailer out from under the boat without using a car.

I moved the boat 18" back on the trailer using a ratchet strap between the bow eye and the axle.

Wind the jockey wheel up to get the aft end of the boat in the air. Put a block under the transom and then wind the jocket wheel down. This transferred the weight from the trailer to the block.

Gently winch the trailer out from under the boat.

Once the trailer is about half way out, it will be forward of the boats LCG. You can then wind the jockey wheel up again and this will lift the forward part of the boat up whilst leaving the aft end on the aft block.

You can then put another block in and wind the jockey wheel down which will cause the aft end of the trailer to drop and the boat to rest on the block. You can then pull the trailer clear.

The Pac 22 has a planing pad which makes the process easier but it also weighs the same amount as a small planet which made the process a bit more fraught.

Putting the trailer back under the boat was the reverse process.

Apologies if I caused confusion.
Old 24 March 2021, 19:23   #37

Thx for explanation comments
Old 27 March 2021, 21:08   #38

Had another go today ..... trailer on car, started as before pulling trailer out, propped up stern once clear ..... however again - moving slowly forward as hull comes off the front rollers the hull starts dropping down (swivelling on rear axle pivot point) ..... if I had continued the keel would have hit first axle ...... see the 2 pics attached.

I did get around it ... put piece of wood across 2 axles so keel protected, had to put a trolley jack immediately behind rear axle and apply some lift to the hull until bow came up to clear front axle.
then moved trailer out, moving trolley jack as necessary. Once trailer out far enough pivot point changes and boat re-levels and comes off rear rollers happily.

Anway trailer pressure washed, snow-foamed, rinsed, De-Salted with Chlor-X, rinsed, dried and then coated with Lanoguard.

While trailer out of the way - waxed hull as well.

Trailer back in place .... productive 4 Hrs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axle.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	136716   Click image for larger version

Name:	rollers.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	136717  
Old 27 March 2021, 23:26   #39

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Had another go today ..... trailer on car, started as before pulling trailer out, propped up stern once clear ..... however again - moving slowly forward as hull comes off the front rollers the hull starts dropping down (swivelling on rear axle pivot point) ..... if I had continued the keel would have hit first axle ...... see the 2 pics attached.

I did get around it ... put piece of wood across 2 axles so keel protected, had to put a trolley jack immediately behind rear axle and apply some lift to the hull until bow came up to clear front axle.
then moved trailer out, moving trolley jack as necessary. Once trailer out far enough pivot point changes and boat re-levels and comes off rear rollers happily.

Anway trailer pressure washed, snow-foamed, rinsed, De-Salted with Chlor-X, rinsed, dried and then coated with Lanoguard.

While trailer out of the way - waxed hull as well.

Trailer back in place .... productive 4 Hrs
Worth noting if your boat hit the axle on its journey off the trailer then i suspect it does when you launch as well ,at absolute min i would u bolt a keel roller onto the axle ,not to run on but just to take the bump , all your launch problems are related ,you are keen as many too carry the boat as low as possible ,however its not a bunk trailer which is where this idea comes from (when you float the boat off) ,,try moving the roller sets down the vee of the boat ,it will look a little strange and maybe look as if it will tip sideways ,but i doubt it will ,it will change the whole gravity forces of the load on the rollers and it will roll off the trailer so the only water required is to recieve the boat . ,There is a happy medium between carrying low/high ,i would say carrying high works best for me on a steep slipway ,plus as the rollers become much closer together and therefore loading becomes much easier and much less chance of hitting your bow on loading ,it will also support the boat throughout its whole journey off the trailer (so you wont really need the keel roller )
Old 27 March 2021, 23:43   #40

It does not hit axle on normal launch ... as rear bogey swivels, pushing bow up .... it doesn’t go down as water is there floating it.

I carry the boat low as there is only 2” clearance to get into my boat shed, so can’t’ ‘lift’ it higher.
I will take a look at putting bumper or similar on the front axle as a safety stop.