Old 31 August 2014, 11:49   #1

Town: Burwash, East Sussex
Make: Ribcraft 6.4 Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150
Bunks to Rollers

I have a 6.5m Rib on a bunk trailer.

All my local slips have a very shallow gradient so i have to totally submerge the whole trailer before the boat even thinks about coming off.

As the trailer is not that old i fancy changing it to rollers.

Has anyone any experience of these roller bunks?
ROLLER BUNK | eBay
Old 31 August 2014, 11:52   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
not seem them, but it think SBS do a roller conversion kit for bunk trailers, it might be worth giving them a call, ask for Roy, he'll tell you what they can provide
Old 31 August 2014, 12:05   #3

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Theses are modelled on the gullwing system. If they are as good they'll make launching and recovery much easier in shallow water.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2014, 12:10   #4

Town: Down South
Make: Northcraft 5.8m 1999
Engine: 2012 Tohatsu MD90C
Talk to the guys at extreme marine I have just upgraded to more rollers on my trailer and they are bloody good at what they do
Old 31 August 2014, 12:17   #5

Town: Down South
Make: Northcraft 5.8m 1999
Engine: 2012 Tohatsu MD90C
It's not as easy as just bolting some rollers onto your trailer you need to have the right equalisers and height of rollers so the boat sits properly on the trailer so it rides and loads properly.

Also I guess you don't have swing bars with your bunks these are important as when you begin to load your boat the swing bar tilts to allow the boat to roll on at a shallower depth if you do not have one you will find that you will just end up with the trailer just as deep as you had with the bunks.

You probably want something like this for the stern depending on what width your trailer is will determine the swing bar width
http://www.extrememarine.co.uk/1620m...ers-p-654.html

And then something like these for the front of the trailer.
http://www.extrememarine.co.uk/pair-...0mm-p-792.html

And probably you will need some keel rollers depending on how deep your keel sits on the trailer.
http://www.extrememarine.co.uk/blue-...box-p-536.html

Extreme marine do all there steel manufacture in there warehouse at southampton and get it galvanised locally as well if there is a place that could sort you out with getting it right I would suggest it these guys.
Old 31 August 2014, 13:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Theses are modelled on the gullwing system. If they are as good they'll make launching and recovery much easier in shallow water.

Hi Jambo
Yes these are actually made by gullwing
I've seen the video on youtube, but they have their trailer in the water almost to the top of the wheels.
Have you seen them in use?
Old 31 August 2014, 13:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Bombard View Post
It's not as easy as just bolting some rollers onto your trailer you need to have the right equalisers and height of rollers so the boat sits properly on the trailer so it rides and loads properly.

Also I guess you don't have swing bars with your bunks these are important as when you begin to load your boat the swing bar tilts to allow the boat to roll on at a shallower depth if you do not have one you will find that you will just end up with the trailer just as deep as you had with the bunks.

Extreme marine do all there steel manufacture in there warehouse at southampton and get it galvanised locally as well if there is a place that could sort you out with getting it right I would suggest it these guys.
Hi SB
No i dont have a rear swing bar. The cross member is welded in, so its not an easy job to replace it with a swinging one.
If i go for a roller racks i was hoping i could make the rear racks pivot to achieve the same thing.
I was thinking of buying four racks of 4 rollers (or a pair of roller bunks)
Old 31 August 2014, 13:55   #8

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon666 View Post
Hi Jambo

Yes these are actually made by gullwing

I've seen the video on youtube, but they have their trailer in the water almost to the top of the wheels.

Have you seen them in use?

Pm Sent

Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2014, 19:24   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I've seen bunks with rollers built-in to them (I'll look into who makes them if interested.)

Barring that, some polyethylene pads on the bunks will decrease friction quite a bit (enough so that several people who have tried them have dropped their boats on the ramp prior to reaching the water.) Many manufacturers of trailer specific pads.

jky
Old 10 September 2014, 07:32   #10
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
Hi all, Finally figured out how to add horizontal (flat) rollers to existing wood bunk trailer --CHEAP!
In the process of changing (new trailer for reg hull boat) to Bunks with Rollers. Using 36 inch x 1/2" and 36 inch x 3/4" unthreaded Steel Bars mounted horizontally through the vertical 6 foot bunks. The Steel Bars will have round appx 5 inch thick foam rollers threaded along each steel bar roller. All bunks will be drilled so each end of the steel bars will mount through each bunk at obvious/equal points. The Foam rollers are simply a couple of 5 inch by 6 feet swimming aids which cost about 2.00 dollars each. I'll cut them into six inch lengths and since they come with a 1/2 inch hole in the middle already, I'll glue and push onto each of the bars and thouth out places eg: Obviously the 3/2" round or heavier steel bar will support the stern where motor is and the foam will be most covering the bar under the centre. While the 1/2 in steel bars will be set across the centre and front bunk below mid-ship and bow. COSTS: 20 bucks for all. I'll post a picture in spring when completed.