Old 07 August 2016, 22:05   #1

Town: Cheshire
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 90
Bunk replacement for 430 Inflatable

Hi. The bunks on my trailer are past their best and need replacing. The boat in question is a quicksliver hd 430 with 30hp tohatsu. I'm used to grp hulls, and I find the boat/bunk very sticky and not easy to launch /recover without completely floating. so my question is
What will work best on an inflatable hull?
The bunks are covered with some sort of Lino. I was thinking of treated decking, or possibly decking with UPVC strips on the contact surface?

Thanks
Old 08 August 2016, 15:48   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Plastic decking is used for bunks pretty often (the 2x4 or 2x6 synthetic lumber - usually HDPE.) Be aware that the stuff is less rigid than lumber - you may need to increase dimensions or add bunk support if you go this route.

As you said, the HDPE screw-on pads will work as well, but will also concentrate the force as they're usually narrower than the bunks.

On my SIB, I actually preferred having to float the boat off - it was less concerning than dragging the boat across the bunks. Had to go a little deeper, but the trailer was getting wet anyway, so...

jky
Old 08 August 2016, 18:01   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Look at direct plastics 2000 x 500 x 30 MM HDPE around £100 cut into 3 lengths very low drag coifficent round corners off with a wood smoothing plane. Or look at tyrone trailers they do a roller set for RNLI beach rescue craft might be what you want.

You can buy a spray too for carpet bunks

Cheers
Old 09 August 2016, 10:09   #4

Town: Cheshire
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 90
thanks for input i think the HDPE is too expensive for me though. I agree floating is probably the way to go. in which case would the timber decking be ok?
Danncus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2016, 12:54   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
you could use a thin HDPE on top of wood bunks[tanalised timber] from B&Q thin HDPE not expensive have a look on direct plastics
Old 09 August 2016, 20:19   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danncus View Post
thanks for input i think the HDPE is too expensive for me though. I agree floating is probably the way to go. in which case would the timber decking be ok?
Probably what was in place to begin with. Get a good rot resistant type of wood; clear cedar is great if you can get it. Also good to treat it with something like a deck sealer prior to installation.

You can cover the lumber with outdoor carpeting. Make sure you use Monel or stainless steel staples to attach it.

jky