Old 22 November 2012, 11:46   #1

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
Breakdown cover for trailer

Although i don't have any intention of needing help in the near future i thought i'd start trying to find cover for car and rib/trailer. What i found is that those companies which would cover a boat and trailer tended to have size limits with a maximum of 7m. Not much good when the boat alone is nearly 8m. Further investigation revealed that both the Caravan Club and Camping and Caravanning Club both run their own schemes with no size limits using Green Flag and the RAC respectively. As such, I spoke to both breakdown providers who confirmed that if i joined one of the clubs (both around £40) and paid for the relevant breakdown cover my car and boat/trailer would be covered with no size limits.

What i wondered is whether this could be an opportunity for ribnet to arrange a scheme with one of these providers for ribbers possibly only making it available to ribnet supporters thus providing an additional funding stream.

I have an ulterior motive in that i know i will receive a load of never-ending abuse from my friends for joining a caravan club (especially when i don't have a caravan).

What do you think ?
Old 22 November 2012, 13:16   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I did the same enquiries a few years back & came up with the same answer I ended up joining the caravan club to get cover for a 25ft sports cruiser & was assured that the trailer would be coverd even though the cover is clearly aimed at caravans which to be honest would be far easier to recover from the hard shoulder than a 3.5 tonne boat & trailer
even when pushed about the difference between a boat and caravan i was reassured that I was covered
at the time it seemed too good to be true & thankfully i never needed it but reassuring to know you have cover

good idea about the ribnet link too although I'd expect they would have a higher percentage of claims from ribnet members

You dont see many caravans past there axles in sea water!!!
Old 22 November 2012, 14:52   #3

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Roadside recovery

After searching some years ago for cover that would recover a boat trailer, including the scenario where the trailer ahs suffered the breakdown as opposed to the car - I found and use Brittania Rescue. Fortunately I have not needed to call them out but others here have recommended them too.
Extract from the conditions wrt trailers:

Caravans and trailers – your cover includes any caravan or trailer that is attached to your
vehicle (this does not include help at the home address that we have on our records or
within ¼ mile of that address or the location at which your caravan is normally stored).
Caravans and trailers should not be more than 8 metres in length (including A-frame) and
fitted with a standard 50 millimetre ball coupling. All caravans and trailers must meet the
requirements of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. If appropriate
you must always carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel or a manufacturer supplied or
approved emergency tyre inflation kit or equipment and keys for any tyre security devices
Old 22 November 2012, 18:25   #4

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
we have used green flag/caravan club twice. Once towing my mates boat n trailer through Wales on way to the ferry at Holyhead when we lost three wheel studs from one wheel and the remaining one was "waisted" with very little metal left. No probs for control with it being a boat. Truck with us in less than the hour but it was brand new...and the towball at the front of the flatbed was mounted the wrong way round on the frame. No tools whatsoever carried on the truck! We moved the ball with our socket set for the driver. Recovered back home with no questions asked. Second time was a flat tyre on a busy motorway on the offside wheel of the caravan (yeah I know-sorry!). We carried a spare but there was no way I was going to fiddle with that tyre without a truck and aloada flashing yellow lights behind us. One of the lads from our dive club had been killed not long before changing a boat trailer wheel in similar circumstances. Again there very quickly despite control allegedly having told him the wrong carriageway.
Old 22 November 2012, 18:41   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
After searching some years ago for cover that would recover a boat trailer, including the scenario where the trailer ahs suffered the breakdown as opposed to the car - I found and use Brittania Rescue. Fortunately I have not needed to call them out but others here have recommended them too.
Extract from the conditions wrt trailers:

Caravans and trailers – your cover includes any caravan or trailer that is attached to your
vehicle (this does not include help at the home address that we have on our records or
within ¼ mile of that address or the location at which your caravan is normally stored).
Caravans and trailers should not be more than 8 metres in length (including A-frame) and
fitted with a standard 50 millimetre ball coupling. All caravans and trailers must meet the
requirements of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. If appropriate
you must always carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel or a manufacturer supplied or
approved emergency tyre inflation kit or equipment and keys for any tyre security devices
+1
Joined them via the CCSC, makes them the cheapest by far

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote