Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Can’t tell from the image but stranded cables into a screw terminal should be ferruled........ and frankly shocked if that is a factory wiring job at the state of that.......there are even specific ferrules for doubles up cables.....
Having made trailers for a large national trailer company I can safely say I've never seen a ferrule used but I do understand it is probably a good idea.

It looks like he has put heat shrink on the ends and he may have soldered the end of the cable, again two things that were never done in commercial trailer building.
Old 19 January 2020, 10:22   #22

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
To clarify fro those interested:

The wiring was original on the trailer as supplied from manufacturer. I've always thought it poorly designed / positioned, but the lighting board has to plug into the trailer circuit somwhere / how.

On the earth (white wires) the left and right trailer lights were heat shrinked together and crimped together. Earth wire for the cable to car plug was put in separately.

The L & R trailer light wires were crimped to each of the L & R rear light wires with a drop of solder or something holding them together

All other wires bare wire fixed into the terminals.

The 3 broken wires all on the 7 strand cas cable - white earth, yellow, blue had all given way where the wire enters the terminal.
Old 19 January 2020, 11:01   #23

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Very supeised that CE/EU regs don’t require ferrules they do do for anything I have worked on.....both mains and ELV.....seems common practice for trailers to ignore the basic rules for no good reason my el cheapo trailer board is the same so I replaced them with ferrules but for doubled up cables ferrules seem even more necessary on a production line ferrules would save time and money compared to soldering and heat shrinking