Old 10 May 2014, 13:37   #1

Biggest rib?

Hi folks sorry if this has been debated before, but I couldn't find the answer browsing on my phone. I've been registered and lurked on here for 18 months or so and probably still a good year or so away from getting a decent rib. From reading the dvla website etc it looks as though the biggest trailer you can tow with a sub 3500 kg gross vehicle is less than 7 metres. However there may be exemptions for indivisible loads. Does anyone know the answer to this? I also saw on a caravan manufacturers website that there largest model can only be towed by a 》3500 kg commercial due to the length not the weight. It all a bit confusing to say the least !

If anyone can clarify please do.

Best regards
Jono
Old 10 May 2014, 14:08   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Welcome to the incredibly complicated world of leisure towing !

First problem is your type of licence i.e. When did you pass your test ?

From the info in your post lets assume you passed pre 1997 and can therefore legally tow 3500kg behind a suitable vehicle.

You dont actually need to worry about trailer length, the regs state 7m max excluding drawbar and rear overhang. In practice that means pretty much any rib you can buy within the 3500kg (including trailer) weight limit will be legal to tow on length. The width is actually more of a problem, you are only allowed about 2.5m width, this means on big ribs you might need to deflate tubes to tow it.

Max weight you should be looking at is around 2500kg dry, this allows a little wiggle room for kit, fluids and the weight of the trailer. If you are looking at a touring rib I would limit your self to less, since on board kit will quickly exceed 300kg and make you overweight and illegal.
Old 10 May 2014, 15:48   #3

Cheers for that info, I must admit I hadn't given the width much thought. But for a trailer based boat having to make a 200 mile round trip to reach the sea or decent lakes, I think your advice of keeping it fairly lightweight is probably sensible.
Jono
Old 10 May 2014, 19:13   #4

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
Length is no problem. You are allowed 7m + drawbar + coupling + rear overhang so you can go pretty much as long as you like.

Width is not really a problem either on a RIB, as you always have the option of deflating the tubes. You are allowed a trailer upto 2.55m wide with a overhang of upto 305mm either side upto maximum of 2.9m overall. Wider is possible, but then you are into abnormal load territory.

Weight is your real constraint. You are allowed 3500kg total. Allow 800kg for the trailer and your maximum boat weight is 2700kg. This must include all your fuel (1kg per litre), gear, etc and a safety margin.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2014, 19:24   #5

Excellent, so there is plenty of wiggle room
And judging by the resr overhangs which are normal it looks like as you say weight is realistically the only issue.

Cheers

Jono
Old 10 May 2014, 19:25   #6

Apologies for the typos, fat fingers and phones are not a good combination !
Old 28 May 2014, 10:33   #7

As long as you got B+E entitlement on your licence before January 2013 there is no weight limit for trailers towed by category B vehicles, you are only limited by the vehicle. There are a few which can tow over 3500kg, but you need a fairly special set up (no overrun brakes allowed).

Maximum trailer length of 7 metres, not including the drawbar or coupling. The load can overhang the end of the trailer by up to 3 metres too (over 2 metres must have an illuminated marker board on the end of the load) so it's possible to tow a 10 metre RIB on the road with a car
Old 28 May 2014, 10:46   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Boat Transport View Post
This must include all your fuel (1kg per litre), gear, etc and a safety margin.
You have a large safety margin built into your fuel figure. Petrol is approx 0.73 kg/L and diesel is 0.87 kg/l.
Old 28 May 2014, 11:16   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehguy View Post
As long as you got B+E entitlement on your licence before January 2013 there is no weight limit for trailers towed by category B vehicles, you are only limited by the vehicle. There are a few which can tow over 3500kg, but you need a fairly special set up (no overrun brakes allowed).

Maximum trailer length of 7 metres, not including the drawbar or coupling. The load can overhang the end of the trailer by up to 3 metres too (over 2 metres must have an illuminated marker board on the end of the load) so it's possible to tow a 10 metre RIB on the road with a car
What changed in January 13? I do remember something changing, but I can't remember what and how did affect towing?
Old 30 May 2014, 04:33   #10

It only affects people passing both the car (B) and car+trailer (B+E) test after that date, in that it imposes a 3500kg limit on trailers towed by category B vehicles.

It's easy to see why this will not affect many people.

Tags
rib