Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 July 2016, 16:34   #1
Member
 
pow2gran's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 491
Bearing Change or Not

Well next stop Spain. I put a new axle on the trailer in June and have launched and recovered once in Bristol, once in Pwhelli and this week in Lymington. Just had a 200 mile run back from Lymington. Should I change the bearings before the 1000 mile run to Spain. I have bearing savers fitted
__________________

__________________
pow2gran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 17:15   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Llanfair pg
Boat name: just about to change
Make: Aircraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: Outboard
MMSI: 13
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 221
Yes
Plus take spares and the tools to fit them
Plus at least one spare wheel inc tyre
Plus a spare tyre and the means to inflate it
Plus grease, split pins, cable ties, duct tape, hammers, a press, a pillar drill, a vice, a workbench, grommets, washers, that tin of spare nuts and bolts thats in your shed, bungy cords, 'finilec' tyre inflation stuff, and 6000 Euros for bribes and beer
You know I,m right

Enjoy
__________________

__________________
www.seawake.co.uk
kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 17:43   #3
Member
 
pow2gran's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki View Post
Yes
Plus take spares and the tools to fit them
Plus at least one spare wheel inc tyre
Plus a spare tyre and the means to inflate it
Plus grease, split pins, cable ties, duct tape, hammers, a press, a pillar drill, a vice, a workbench, grommets, washers, that tin of spare nuts and bolts thats in your shed, bungy cords, 'finilec' tyre inflation stuff, and 6000 Euros for bribes and beer
You know I,m right

Enjoy
Wise advice - thanks!
__________________
pow2gran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 02:18   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,528
RIBase
Personally I wouldn't. But I would take them out, clean them, clean the hub, re pack, and put back on.

If there is any sign of corrosion or damage then replace.

And the list seems to be missing a jack and spare wheel nuts- the simplest things.....
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 03:05   #5
Member
 
steco1958's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 688
When and where you going in Spain, I leave on 3rd Aug, for Costa Brava can't wait !!
__________________
A bad day on the boat is better than the best day at work.
https://www.justgiving.com/RIOW2016
https://www.justgiving.com/Richard-Nash8
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2016, 06:32   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,119
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Personally I wouldn't. But I would take them out, clean them, clean the hub, re pack, and put back on.

If there is any sign of corrosion or damage then replace.

And the list seems to be missing a jack and spare wheel nuts- the simplest things.....
plenty of spares hubs made up is the best ready to go
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 07:22   #7
Member
 
pow2gran's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 491
Bearings changed and spare hubs in the boot of the car.

Did a test run with the trailer about 20 miles average speed 50 mph. Hubs were warm but not too hot after the run.

Just a bit concerned that I have tightened them up too much. Any comments would be appreciated.
__________________
pow2gran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 07:25   #8
Member
 
pow2gran's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by steco1958 View Post
When and where you going in Spain, I leave on 3rd Aug, for Costa Brava can't wait !!

There are three of us travelling down to Estartit which I believe is on the Costa Brave. Two Ribquests and my self with my Ribcraft. This time next week we should be close to the Spanish border. We are leaving on Friday
__________________
pow2gran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 08:58   #9
Member
 
Bucksribster's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thame
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 283
Have a great time Nick. Very jealous. Mind you I have just got back from 9 days sailing in Greece :-)
__________________
Bucksribster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 09:15   #10
Member
 
pow2gran's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post
Have a great time Nick. Very jealous. Mind you I have just got back from 9 days sailing in Greece :-)

Thanks Trevor
__________________
pow2gran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 10:55   #11
Member
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow2gran View Post
Bearings changed and spare hubs in the boot of the car.

Did a test run with the trailer about 20 miles average speed 50 mph. Hubs were warm but not too hot after the run.

Just a bit concerned that I have tightened them up too much. Any comments would be appreciated.

Just checked mine and changed 1
Tighten it up but not to much so it won't spin then back it off a 1/4 turn is what I do
You can feel a bit of play if you get hold of the wheel and waggle it

Where you staying at estatit
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 13:26   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,119
RIBase
As mick says shouldn't get warm and spin freely the 1/4 turn is the play it needs.

Cheers
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 17:56   #13
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,897
RIBase
You've got bearing savers. As long as they were full of grease at the beginning of the year, they'll be fine. Just take a spare set and a grease gun.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 18:02   #14
Member
 
pow2gran's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Just checked mine and changed 1
Tighten it up but not to much so it won't spin then back it off a 1/4 turn is what I do
You can feel a bit of play if you get hold of the wheel and waggle it

Where you staying at estatit

Stopping at Delfin Verde with rib in marina at Estartit

Going to redo the bearings in the morning and try again. Practice makes perfect👍
__________________
pow2gran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 18:20   #15
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,864
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
You've got bearing savers. As long as they were full of grease at the beginning of the year, they'll be fine. Just take a spare set and a grease gun.


Sounds like a plan - been working for me over the last few seasons.
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 03:44   #16
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,897
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post


Sounds like a plan - been working for me over the last few seasons.
I haven't had to replace a set of bearings since I started using them. Clean and regrease a bit, but they're all still like new.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 05:30   #17
Member
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow2gran View Post
Stopping at Delfin Verde with rib in marina at Estartit

Going to redo the bearings in the morning and try again. Practice makes perfect👍

Seem to remember staying there years back , should be great
__________________

__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.