Old 09 November 2021, 15:39   #1

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 20hp
Attwood SP-400 Transom Saver for Tiller outboard?

Hi all - I just bought an Attwood SP-400 Transom Saver for my trailored 20hp Mercury (Tiller) Outbaord. The OB is 47kg on a 3.6m Rib.

It arrived the other day and in the very small print on a very little card in the box it said 'Outboard must have power tilt and trim for use of this product'. Annoying that there was nothing stating this in the description...

I thought both tiller and powered OB's could use a transom saver? My OB has a pretty good steering lock and as you can see the product it came with a fairly rugged rubber strap... do you think it would be ok??!

Many thanks
Old 10 November 2021, 07:14   #2

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Unfortunately, unlike in the US/OZ, not many over here in the UK seem to use transom savers at all.

On our 5m/60hp rib, which is generally only towed a few hundred metres, then just utilise the tilt lock lever. For longer distances then we lower the motor onto a h/w timber block trapped between saddle and leg to take the strain off the hydraulic tilt.

On our tiny 3.4/20hp rib, which regularly does 400+ mile road trips, we cobbled together a diy rigid transom saver. No power trim/tilt on our 20 and wouldn’t tow raised only on the flimsy tilt lock mechanisms.

Despite the manufacturer’s disclaimer I would have no qualms using the Attwood saver on a small manual tilt motor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2621.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	139269
Old 10 November 2021, 13:19   #3

Thanks Chipko - I thought I'd ask for an opinion because I couldn't see a tiller/manual tilt engine on a transom saver in any pictures or videos - I thought there might be a specific reason for the warning on the packaging, but likely a disclaimer as you say.

I'll give it a go. Going to try and keep the engine as vertical as possible, ground clearance pemitting. I might ratchet strap it down too just in case. The 'V' shaped head on it and the OB's steering lock should keep the engine straight.
Setting up on a trailer for the first time here so on a steep learning curve!

BTW - that looks like a very tidy piece of DIY - nice job! Thanks for the pic - that looks like a Mercury 20hp?
Old 10 November 2021, 15:45   #4

Attwood SP-400 Transom Saver for Tiller outboard?

Tonus, I reckon the Attwood will work great. Totally agree with ratchet strapping it all down and winding on plenty of steering friction.

Think the disclaimer is more H&S biased. From an engineering point of view forms a simple pin jointed triangle of forces with a manual tilt motor. Very strong/efficient and able to accommodate any slight movement of boat on trailer as the angles just change to compensate without additional loading to any individual component.

Done a few thousand miles with our little diy saver cobbled from old shs office table legs, a few bolts and a couple of rubber bow snubbers. Holding up well so far. 🤞

Name:	IMG_2619.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	139275

PS: Well spotted, yes it’s a Mariner 20
Old 14 November 2021, 17:55   #5

Sorry for the late reply - thanks Chipko. I decided (with help from your past experience) to keep the Attwood transom saver. I fitted it today and it seems really solid - I’ll put up a picture and a little write-up tomorrow in case it helps someone searching for the same product. Glad you’ve had so many trouble free miles with yours…! Many thanks
Old 15 November 2021, 08:49   #6

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Surely the transom should be upto the job of towing without the need for 1?
If not is it really fit for purpose?
Old 15 November 2021, 09:46   #7

The transom is Aluminium so it could well be fine without one... I just want to give the transom and the engine the best support I can.
Old 16 November 2021, 09:55   #8

So I fitted the Attwood SP-400 Transom Saver with no problems. Drilled a 6.5mm hole in the trailer cross-beam which I don't think will effect the integrity of the trailer. With the engine on it seems very solid and a ratchet strap over the top puts paid to any danger of it jumping out of the 'V'.
I put the wire lock pin through the bracket on the trailer rather than the hole for height adjustment. This way I can release it and put it in the car out of the way.
The rubber strap is a bit big and loose on my 20hp Mercury so hooked it up over the antiventilation plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	139292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	139293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	139294  
Old 16 November 2021, 17:31   #9

Hey Tonus, looking good there buddy, thanks for pics. [emoji106]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Surely the transom should be upto the job of towing without the need for 1?
If not is it really fit for purpose?

Neither of our solutions is to primarily limit shock loads on transom, although by default they will do. For us it’s more to protect the flimsy tilt lock mechanisms on these smaller manual tilt motors from excessive live shock loads whilst towing in a raised position.
Old 21 January 2022, 10:09   #10

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
This.

The loads when running the boat hard in a chop and bouncing around are much higher. But the tilt lock brackets are usually weak and able to bounce out of position too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Neither of our solutions is to primarily limit shock loads on transom, although by default they will do. For us it’s more to protect the flimsy tilt lock mechanisms on these smaller manual tilt motors from excessive live shock loads whilst towing in a raised position.

Tags
outboard