Old 20 April 2008, 23:28   #1

Town: plymouth
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 verado
Anyone tried the HubFlush?

OK, another question!

Has anybody seen or tried the hub flush kits that wash salt water out of the hub?

www.hubflush.com

I use my trailer regularly and mainly for launching. As a result I am putting in new bearings every year and it looks like i ll need new hubs as well.

Also wheres the best place for trailer spares?

Thanks
Old 21 April 2008, 11:49   #2

Town: Crawley,West Sussex
Boat name: Droopy 2
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90hp
Fitted one of these last year when I rebuilt the trailer,lots of use for the season and flushed after every launch/recovery.Stripped hubs and drums off last weekend for start of season,Surprise,surprise,every thing clean and corrosion free,even those hard-to-get at corners where the rust normally gets
Bearings and seals were also in very good nick due to not being that old and the use of bearing savers !
I will be fitting this to any trailer I own in the future,it does work,the initial cost is offset by the cost of brake shoes and backplates on a regular basis.
Old 23 April 2008, 10:42   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Surely the "hub flush" is actually only flushing the brake gear inside the drum?

Best way to stop your bearings rusting is to let them cool before dropping the trailer in the drink. Or fit a set of bearing savers so grease gets pushed in instead of salt water getting "inhaled".

Remember once flushed the heat generated by braking will dry out your drums etc. If you only drag it 20 yds to your parking place in the marina, it may be easier juut stripping the brake gear out?
Old 23 April 2008, 12:41   #4

Town: Crawley,West Sussex
Boat name: Droopy 2
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Tohatsu 90hp
[Q UOTE=9D280;246209] Surely the "hub flush" is actually only flushing the brake gear inside the drum?

Best way to stop your bearings rusting is to let them cool before dropping the trailer in the drink. Or fit a set of bearing savers so grease gets pushed in instead of salt water getting "inhaled".

Remember once flushed the heat generated by braking will dry out your drums etc. If you only drag it 20 yds to your parking place in the marina, it may be easier juut stripping the brake gear out? [/QUOTE]

You are correct,the braking gear and backplates are the parts that benefit from the fresh water flush.As I said,the bearings and seals are protected by bearing savers,no water gets to the bearings,fresh OR salt.Having had to replace the brakes and backplates before I think the cost of the HubFlush kit justifies itself on that point alone!