Old 27 March 2012, 20:39   #21

Town: Solent
Make: Phantom 21
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 200hp V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
I have just paid £260 + vat for a new axle for my trailer as the rebuild was going to cost not far off this & I wanted to change to tapered roller bearing, may be worth costing up just replacing the axles?
Thanks for that Nick. When I told him what I was looking to replace he did initially say that it would be cheaper to get a new axle, which I found astonishing! But it seems it may well end up that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
Anyway, it'd be worth asking him about it, use the fact that it's a twin axle and say you'd like a deal on two sets and make sure it includes the new springs too - your old ones will be shot.
Thanks mate, will do. And by springs I take it you mean the strut type things going from the drop arm to the chassis like in the photo below?

Quote:
Bearings will likely be fairly generic. Knock them out and let me know the numbers (both on the cone and cup) and the numbers on the seal. I'll be able to point you in the right direction.
Ok mate, will do.....thanks.

Quote:
(or do as Nick did! - happy to price that up for you too)
If you could that would be great, thanks mate. I'd need 2 x 1500kg axles (with brake cables) and 5 stud hubs (not 100% sure of the PCD). Thanks a lot.

Still waiting to hear back from Dave and will let you know when I do.

Thanks, Jonny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1374(1).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	66578  
Old 28 March 2012, 09:02   #22

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
No, those'll be your shock absorbers, which should be fairly ok. I meant the retaining springs inside the hub, that pull the shoes together and the springs that retain them to the backplate. i.e. make sure it's not just two pairs of shoes on their own - you need the ancillary springs too.

all the best
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2012, 21:46   #23

Town: Solent
Make: Phantom 21
Engine: Mariner 200hp V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
No, those'll be your shock absorbers, which should be fairly ok. I meant the retaining springs inside the hub, that pull the shoes together and the springs that retain them to the backplate. i.e. make sure it's not just two pairs of shoes on their own - you need the ancillary springs too.
Oops apologies for my dim comment. I'm sure if I'd thought about it for longer I might have got there. Thanks for that advice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
I have just paid £260 + vat for a new axle for my trailer as the rebuild was going to cost not far off this & I wanted to change to tapered roller bearing, may be worth costing up just replacing the axles?
Just like you said Nick, having had some quotes back for parts, it seems it's going to actually be cheaper to replace the whole axles in their entirety (and cheaper by a long way as well!). Quite a satisying way of doing it to be fair, then you know exactly what you're working with.