Old 20 October 2021, 13:39   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Alternative to rollers

I have a 2600kg indespension roller trailer with 48 rollers on it but I find no matter how well set up it is there is a lot of resistance in getting the boat on and off. I was looking at replacing the rollers but at around £5 each its an expensive prospect. I'm currently working in Norway and see a lot of the trailers here are very different approach to rollers than UK trailers. They have tyre rollers which are much bigger diameter

Has anyone converted their trailer to be like this in the UK? It looks to be a good option provided the tyres are quite firm and dont mark the hull too badly with tyre marks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B26X.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	139114  
Old 20 October 2021, 14:16   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I've seen them on a VanClaes trailer price list as an option in the UK though haven't ever seen them in use. I can't imagine they will make a huge difference to rolling resistance and I bet they're expensive.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 14:46   #3

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Either raise the bow rollers or lower the stern or both. On my much smaller outfit the rear carriages were set too close together. I moved them from the inner chines to the outer chines thus making it more stable for towing and also lower so needing less depth to launch.

Gravity should get it off the trailer and you can power it back on or else get a winch that that takes less effort.

Solid tyres are ideal for stepped hulls.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TyreRollers.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	139115  
Old 20 October 2021, 15:15   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
I have a 2600kg indespension roller trailer with 48 rollers on it but I find no matter how well set up it is there is a lot of resistance in getting the boat on and off. I was looking at replacing the rollers but at around £5 each its an expensive prospect. I'm currently working in Norway and see a lot of the trailers here are very different approach to rollers than UK trailers. They have tyre rollers which are much bigger diameter

Has anyone converted their trailer to be like this in the UK? It looks to be a good option provided the tyres are quite firm and dont mark the hull too badly with tyre marks.

I have a VanClaes with the solid wheels/tyres. Works perfectly for me. There were/are problems with the inflatable tyres going flat or the valves rotting due to salt water. The inflatable tyres are kinder to the hull in that they offer a fair amount of cushioning & give. I prefer the solid type meself.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 15:24   #5

A trick to save the expense of new rollers is to use some pvc pipe from B&Q that has a 20mm bore. Press the cut sleeves into the worn rollers. No machining was needed, just a hacksaw and hammer. At the same time I changed the spindles to stainless.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ResleevingRollers.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	139116  
Old 20 October 2021, 18:21   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I think you’ll find tyres expensive and mark and if fitted with Chinese inner tubes go down frequently I have a puncture proof wheel on my jockey wheel that also goes flat if left in one place £10 ish for them too. Has the wheels worn on the shaft ? Which will make them pinch, old grease will go solid and cause friction too. Boring out and sleeving would work leaving the sleeves to rotate too.
Old 21 October 2021, 13:27   #7

Cheers all. I had removed all my rollers, cleaned, greased, and replaced all washers and split pins with A4 stainless earlier in the year so the rollers themselves are fine and all spin freely even under load. I think the fault is that the Indespension rollers are a tyre of moulded rubber, so the rollers do not remain round, but slightly flatten or compress under load, great for taking the stress off the hull but perhaps deform too much compared to other manufacturers rollers which have a hard plastic body and slightly rubberised outer thus giving less for deflection. It helps much less that my local slipway is virtually flat rather than conventional slipways which are sloping. The set up is an absolute breeze to use on a normal slipway, think Penzance or Portland for example, the boat rolls off effortlessly and can be driven on easily due to the depth of water. At my local slipway I have to resort to slackening the winch strap and using the brakes on the car to rock the boat back a few feet on the rollers to overcome initial friction, then unhitch, then push the whole thing out 100m or so to slightly deeper water then winch and push the boat the rest of the way off the trailer. On my SBS trailer which much fewer, harder, plastic rollers the boat seemed to come off the trailer with far less effort.
Old 21 October 2021, 13:48   #8

RIBase
Would a long jock wheel help by keeping your emergency chain on the trailer to car and lift the boat with the jockey wheel giving a slope
Old 21 October 2021, 23:28   #9

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
At my local slipway I have to resort to slackening the winch strap and using the brakes on the car to rock the boat back a few feet on the rollers to overcome initial friction, then unhitch, then push the whole thing out 100m or so to slightly deeper water then winch and push the boat the rest of the way off the trailer. On my SBS trailer which much fewer, harder, plastic rollers the boat seemed to come off the trailer with far less effort.

Seems a lot of faff, and doesn’t sound like a slip at all, beach? Also from above are you hand launching? Just lift the trailer up?

Swap trailers probably easier and cheaper than replacing all the rollers.

Or if using vehicle to launch reverse at speed and hit the brakes to drop the boat off? Just don’t go too fast or you will be swimming after it.
Old 22 October 2021, 00:19   #10

I don't get why ones feel lifting the bow rollers and lowering the stern isn't going to work. All you're doing is compensating for a shallow slip. It launches fine on a normal gradient.
Old 22 October 2021, 15:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
I don't get why ones feel lifting the bow rollers and lowering the stern isn't going to work. All you're doing is compensating for a shallow slip. It launches fine on a normal gradient.
I've already got the fwd roller beams 25mm higher than the rear, rear are already lowest achievable position, even slight modified to make them lower, front cannot be higher as I have very limited height clearance on my garage roof (currently 5mm gap!)
Old 22 October 2021, 15:28   #12

Quote:
I've already got the fwd roller beams 25mm higher than the rear, rear are already lowest achievable position, even slight modified to make them lower, front cannot be higher as I have very limited height clearance on my garage roof (currently 5mm gap!)
Ok full picture now.
Still better off than having bunks.
Old 22 October 2021, 15:37   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Ok full picture now.
Still better off than having bunks.

My first RIB was a 6.4m Osprey with an inboard V6 petrol. I could be a pig to get off the trailer in shallow water. I rigged up a snatch block at the back end of the trailer, ran a rope from the bow eye on the boat & around the snatch block. The rope had an eye spliced at the loose end. The rope went from bow eye, around the snatch block & I clipped the winch hook into the spliced eye. By winding the winch, the boat was pulled off the trailer. As soon as the weight of the engine was off the trailer, away she went.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2021, 16:18   #14

RIBase
Break back or tilting trailer ?
Old 23 October 2021, 12:04   #15

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
I’ve a diesel inboard that can be hard to move after the winter sat squishing the rollers. A spray of silicon into the rollers will make a big difference when there’s weight on them. A fallback is run the winch strap under a keel roller and back to the bow ring. There’s often one in the centre of the trailer that doesn’t carry weight other than protecting/ lifting the bow during recovery on steeper slips. Use your bow line belayed around the winch post or jockey wheel to ensure it doesn’t get away from you after the winch gets it moving back. Like Pikey Daves idea but using what you may already have.
BTW 25mm higher at the front is virtually level, you’ll need to go multiples higher before gravity will help overcome stiction but then that assist is not going to help keep the boat on when towing.
You can also jack the nose a lot higher than you think while still hitched with a solid jockey wheel.
Old 23 October 2021, 15:00   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
My first RIB was a 6.4m Osprey with an inboard V6 petrol. I could be a pig to get off the trailer in shallow water. I rigged up a snatch block at the back end of the trailer, ran a rope from the bow eye on the boat & around the snatch block. The rope had an eye spliced at the loose end. The rope went from bow eye, around the snatch block & I clipped the winch hook into the spliced eye. By winding the winch, the boat was pulled off the trailer. As soon as the weight of the engine was off the trailer, away she went.
Yeah that's another trick I use when I forget to use the car brakes to get the 1st metre or so of movement. It works well, just again faffing about.
Old 26 October 2021, 21:12   #17

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Most trailers have skids rather than rollers here these days, they are so easy to drive on and off with at the ramp. This is from my a couple of my non rib boat trailers but people have them like this on trailer boats for vessels of 8m+. Ive also put full skids on my daughters zodiac 500 trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4304.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	139147   Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP2067.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	139148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4352.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	139149  
Old 31 October 2021, 19:12   #18

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Love the wincing off ideas. My rollers are crap and compress over time. Plus the stepped hull. In reality I’ve always blamed the step but when o pooped today not a single roller was resting in the step so it must be the rollers.
Old 31 October 2021, 23:16   #19

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Sorry for my spelling. Autocorrect. Any pictures of the setups winching backward please ?