Old 27 July 2013, 04:53   #1

Town: Sechelt
Length: 7m +
super Newbie RIB used purchase help

Okay I'm sure you have heard this before but I am completely new to what I should be looking for in the purchase of a second hand RIB. I live near Vancouver Canada. I'm looking for a used 22 to 24 foot RIB in the $20,000 price range. Based on some of the information I have read 20k might be too little to fork out for a decent boat. The purpose for this boat is to accompany a Sea Kayak rental outfit and to use it as a tender, or possibly have the customers paddle one way and we would go and pick them up. The Kayaks range from 17 to 20 feet and 4 would be the limit on the RIB.
Any decent insight would be helpful, I want to do this right the first time, so please entertain me with some knowledge. I am a capable person and have a carpenters background and 25 years as an appliance technician, so I know how to fix and access things to some degree
Old 27 July 2013, 05:53   #2

Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
A 22'-24' RIB is going to be hard pressed to carry 4 kayaks and 4 customers comfortably, there just isn't that much room on that size of boat.

It doesn't sound like you really need a RIB though, maybe something like a Munson Packman or other aluminum skiff with a bit of deck space...
Old 27 July 2013, 14:31   #3

Town: Sechelt
Thanks Capntroy, I do agree that the best boat would be a V hull landing craft, but as usual funding restricts me from going bigger and better so I would have to go this route to start with. The assist boat is something we are trying to introduce into an already established Kayak rental business. kayak camping stand up paddle boards & tours | Pedals & Paddles
The RIB would be used for emergency use or allow customers to paddle one way with the assist boat to pick up. Most runs would be less than 45 minutes so a cramped space would not be a great issue. If this idea is met with some popularity and paying customers we would then be able to purchase a larger boat or a more suitable craft.

Thanks again for the information now all I have to do is find a boat
Old 27 July 2013, 15:29   #4

Town: Vancouver
Boat name: Midnight Marauder
Make: Loki
Length: 10m +
Engine: Turbo Diesel
I'm putting together a 22' zodiac hurricane 630 that might work for you.
Im Located in vancouver bc.
Old 27 July 2013, 21:23   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I have, in semi-emergencies, carried 2 kayaks on my 17' RIB. Crossways at the front is easiest; if you're planning for this, a custom rack could be built pretty easily.

4 might be a bit much, but you could also stack them (though forward visibility might be a problem.)

If you're talking roto-molded yaks, towing them might be an option.

jky
Old 27 July 2013, 23:09   #6

Town: Hood River
Boat name: Seal Team 7
Make: Zodiac SRA-750
Engine: Evinrude ETEC G2 300
MMSI: WDI 8895
Was just in New Zealand at Able Tasman park and they had some slick setups for transporting yaks as it's a major business there and the kiwis are very creative.

For 22-24' RIB, you really need to balance entry price for the platform you are building off. 30k is probably a point at which you can find a solid boat to build off. Plan to still put in plenty of sweat equity and some additional $$ as needed. Think 10k over time.

Willards and Hurricanes would be a good bet for a solid commercial quality boat. They are in demand for this reason. Others may suite as well, really depends on the boat and opportunity.

Of course you can find one at a government auction, but then you need to really have some skills and know what you are doing to access and rehabilitate it.
Old 29 July 2013, 02:13   #7

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Engine: Suzuki 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by clloyd View Post

Of course you can find one at a government auction, but then you need to really have some skills and know what you are doing to access and rehabilitate it.
Oh, just about anybody can fix up a government auction boat, I am . It just takes a bit of patience and a lot of time and money. The learning curve is expensive, turn money into dust.

Honestly I think you could find a basic RIB that will run for a similar price to fixing one up There was a running 733 a while back that went for around $20k us and there is a guy in southern cal that has a ready to go hull for $15k I keep thinking fondly of that one as I am covered in fiberglass dust.

Jason

Tags
rib