Old 09 May 2009, 09:25   #21

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
I have two VW 1.9 tdi's one runs at 180 hp the other about the same. They do around 35-40 mpg around town, motorway runs i get 60mpg. If i get heavy footed then it will drop to about 30 mpg. The torque produced is the real seller, any speed and most gears I can just floor it and it goes like a train.

The jaguar is a real move away from the classic jag shapes, still all alloy bonded with rivets and glue making it very light, it will also come with a panoramic roof, nice. The diesels are ok but the real one to watch will be the 5L XJR, very fast. All subject to the company making it through these hard times....
Old 09 May 2009, 09:36   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Do 4x4's come in manual? If so, I wouldn't want one. With 3.5t on the back you don't wanna be trying to grab 2nd and having to slip the clutch.
Old 09 May 2009, 16:09   #23

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
I have two VW 1.9 tdi's one runs at 180 hp the other about the same. They do around 35-40 mpg around town, motorway runs i get 60mpg. If i get heavy footed then it will drop to about 30 mpg. The torque produced is the real seller, any speed and most gears I can just floor it and it goes like a train.

The jaguar is a real move away from the classic jag shapes, still all alloy bonded with rivets and glue making it very light, it will also come with a panoramic roof, nice. The diesels are ok but the real one to watch will be the 5L XJR, very fast. All subject to the company making it through these hard times....
Is a panoramic roof such a good idea? What about in an accident? I have been upside down in a car - it's not funny - thank God it didn't have a glass roof!!!

I have seen plenty of cars where things like trees or barriers have come down on them - the roof usually saves the passengers.
Old 09 May 2009, 16:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Do 4x4's come in manual? If so, I wouldn't want one. With 3.5t on the back you don't wanna be trying to grab 2nd and having to slip the clutch.
Knowing how to drive helps a lot!!!

Auto boxes can overheat quite easily on steep hills when towing. I was suprised to learn that many 4x4 autos don't come with oil coolers as standard - things like the Volvo XC90 for example.

A manual gives you more control and engine braking. I know a bloke who does boat deliveries all over Europe - he uses a 110 manual and never has any trouble - 150,000 miles - mainly towing heavy loads - not bad!!!
Old 09 May 2009, 16:18   #25

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Auto boxes can overheat quite easily on steep hills when towing
Bummer. Just ordered a Disco Auto...I wonder if LR thought to test them when towing uphils
Old 09 May 2009, 16:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Bummer. Just ordered a Disco Auto...I wonder if LR thought to test them when towing uphils
Don't be silly it's a LR - I was on about the other so called 4x4s!!! Haing said that the OLD Discovery auto wasn't up to much.......

I had a Discovery 2 for a while and it was great at towing but if you are hauling heavy loads a lot I would go for a manual. Mind you a heavy load to a LR is a lot. My Discovery tows 3.5 tons no problem - I have towed 5.5 tons but you knew the load was there - wouldn't have fancied that with an auto box!!!
Old 09 May 2009, 17:06   #27

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Most auto boxes are 'adaptable' now, as well as tiptronic. They'll kick down on descent to give engine brake or in tiptronic, they'll do what ever you wish. I've never had a box get hot.
Old 09 May 2009, 18:01   #28

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Don't be silly it's a LR
Thank God for that...is was your generalisation that threw me
Old 09 May 2009, 19:05   #29

Quote:
Is a panoramic roof such a good idea? What about in an accident? I have been upside down in a car - it's not funny - thank God it didn't have a glass roof!!!

I have seen plenty of cars where things like trees or barriers have come down on them - the roof usually saves the passengers.
I would suspect that the glass roof would offer more structural stiffness to the car than the alloy roofed model. The front and rear screens on Jaguar's offer a surprising amount of structure to the cars, driving one without the screen shows this up.

In the event of a roll over then passengers are protected by the A post's, B post's and the doors. The roof offers very little protection and consists of sheet steel and in the case of the XJ sheet alloy with a single strengthener.
Old 09 May 2009, 20:38   #30

When I did a somersault in a car I ended up on a rock - if it had been a glass roof I shudder to think what would have happened.

Also when a tree falls on a car often there are lots of bits sticking out - not just a smooth trunk.
And finally there have been too many cases of people lobbing bricks off bridges etc.

My mates Cayenne has such a roof and it's horrid - and it was stuck in the dealers for weeks when it stuck.

I hope it's an option???
Old 09 May 2009, 20:40   #31

Quote:
If you work for Jag why do you drive German cars - wouldn't it make more sense to protect your own jobs - just wondering???

and I didn't think the 1.9tdi was that sort of power..........
Old 09 May 2009, 20:55   #32
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
And finally there have been too many cases of people lobbing bricks off bridges etc.
Don't tell Chicken Little about this. She's already in trauma worrying about shearing both her twin engines off on a floating log. It's a very dangerous world we live in. Theoretically.

Old 09 May 2009, 21:17   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Don't tell Chicken Little about this. She's already in trauma worrying about shearing both her twin engines off on a floating log. It's a very dangerous world we live in. Theoretically.

I have seen it happen - my Defender is fine though - i still have the riot screen for it!!!
Old 09 May 2009, 21:21   #34

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
I have seen it happen - my Defender is fine though - i still have the riot screen for it!!!
Aye .. I'd keep that handy If I were you Codders
Old 09 May 2009, 21:34   #35
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
re-mapped they can..... uncle has got his up to around this with a new cam re-map and some head work... oh on motor number 2. good thing he runs garages...
Old 10 May 2009, 18:39   #36

Quote:
If you work for Jag why do you drive German cars - wouldn't it make more sense to protect your own jobs - just wondering???

I would love to be able to buy an English car, trouble is they are expensive or not good enough. I actually work for Jaguar and Land Rover, so I have a foot in both camps and both cars. It was great when Aston was also part of the group

The VW's are indeed remapped, from the same company that work for..... Had it done for 2 years with no problems, the VW TDI engine is built like a rock, well over engineered. The problem with remaps is that they are simple to do but also simple to get wrong. “Lets have 240hp for 10 minutes”
Old 10 May 2009, 21:35   #37
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Knowing how to drive helps a lot!!!
Quote:
When I did a somersault in a car I ended up on a rock
Seemed rude to pass up a gift like that!
Old 10 May 2009, 22:36   #38
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
That's not right. My Father had that engine in a Hi-Top camper and could squeeze 42mpg out of it.
I regularly get 48mpg out of my 2wd A4 2.0ltr 170bhp. Your doing something really wrong there!

I have a plug in re-map system for my car and I actually get an increase in fuel economy but its not squared away with the insurance company and the car is still under warranty so I prefer not to use it. 170bhp is more than enough!

CJL
Old 10 May 2009, 23:46   #39

Quote:
I would love to be able to buy an English car, trouble is they are expensive or not good enough. I actually work for Jaguar and Land Rover, so I have a foot in both camps and both cars. It was great when Aston was also part of the group

The VW's are indeed remapped, from the same company that work for..... Had it done for 2 years with no problems, the VW TDI engine is built like a rock, well over engineered. The problem with remaps is that they are simple to do but also simple to get wrong. “Lets have 240hp for 10 minutes”
I dunno - an X type is prob not that much more than a Passat. Don't you get a staff discount???
Old 11 May 2009, 06:23   #40
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
I dunno - an X type is prob not that much more than a Passat. Don't you get a staff discount???
ah but it costs quite a bit more than a Ford Mondao