Old 09 February 2008, 17:24   #1

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Triumph 675 Street Triple

Any of the bikers out there had a ride on one yet? I've just ordered one & been quoted September delivery - it's gonna be a long summer
Old 09 February 2008, 17:36   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Good for you.

I am not into bikes as such but I do admire nice bits of engineering. A while ago there were a load of bikers meeting up at the seafront. all sorts of bike but one really stood out as being nicer and different to the rest. I thought maybe it was a Ducatti or similar but when I got closer it was a Triumph like yours - WOW was most people's reaction!!!
Old 09 February 2008, 18:35   #3
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
WOW was most people's reaction!!!
dat wazunt de reakshun i gott wen i ad a triumf

itt waz OI YEW BASTUD. yoov lefft a gobb ov oyl onn mi fkin dryve

garF
Old 09 February 2008, 19:44   #4

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Thats a long time for delivery . Are they very popular and in short supply or not in full production yet ??

Nice bike , Not sure I have seen one yet other than MCN pictures etc . I presume you have had a test ride on one ??
Old 09 February 2008, 20:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
Thats a long time for delivery . Are they very popular and in short supply or not in full production yet ??

Nice bike , Not sure I have seen one yet other than MCN pictures etc . I presume you have had a test ride on one ??
Ian,

yes it is a long time for delivery - they seem to have got everything right on this bike & the great reviews in the press have created a massive demand that the factory just can't meet. & yes I've had a test & yes it's as good as the press say. I've been away from bikes for too many years & I cant believe the strides that have been made. I always had a soft spot for triples & my old Laverda Jota (the mad bastard one with the 180 degree crank) still lives in my soul but this is just soo sweet

Thanks codders - makes you proud to have a home made product I only hope thay still have the "made in England" legend on the frame like the old ones.

Talking of the old ones - gARF i also had an oil-on-the-floor model like yours when i was a nipper..
Old 09 February 2008, 21:12   #6

the sport version was good , only fault was oil usage when it was running in and some owners ran them too low . so keep an eye on the oil to begin with , although I would hope the dealer will tell you if its still an issue .
Old 11 February 2008, 17:45   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
aaaahh Ive missed Garfy of late..
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2008, 18:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
the sport version was good , only fault was oil usage when it was running in and some owners ran them too low . so keep an eye on the oil to begin with , although I would hope the dealer will tell you if its still an issue .
Yes Ian I have read about this. There appear to be potential problems with excess oil consumption on this engine & the larger triples. Bike magazine recently blew up a Tiger after they didn't keep an eye on the oil level. Triumph deny any problems & say this consumption is normal...

There was an interesting debate in one of the bike magazines regarding oil consumption. If I remember right some manufacturers recommend using poorer quality oil during the running in period. I think it was Yamaha who suffered engine problems with one version of press bike R1's which were not run in on poorer quality stuff. I have to admit that it was above my head but perhaps some of the engineers on this site could comment.

Anyway I shall be checking the oil level on a very regular basis
Old 12 February 2008, 20:27   #9

i know lost of bike engines like to be run in on a cheaper oil , it allows the engine to bed in properly .
My Aprilia V twin used a little oil untill it had done over 10k miles . I ran that on semi synthetic oil . owners using full synthetic reported considerably more oil usage .
KTM Iam sure used to recomend running in on semi synt oil
Old 12 February 2008, 21:17   #10

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
The claim is that on high quality synthetics the film strength is so high that the bores & rings don't wear enough to bed the rings in. So by using a mineral oil for the running in period, enough wear occurs to bed the rings in properly, at which point you can switch to a synthetic. There is also a claim that on a pushrod motor you should run the cam using mineral as well.
I'm unsure whether these are actual truth, or just urban myths - and don't/didn't feel brave enough to test out on my motors.
Old 12 February 2008, 21:38   #11

I would agree with that Matt , and you described it better than i could have done .
I think the modern engines with coated bores need mainly the rings to bed in properly so they don't use oil .
even VW give you oil with a new van and tell you expect some considerable usage untill its run in .
Old 12 February 2008, 22:05   #12

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
Actually, I was gonna make a comment about tolerances in a modern engine & running in. Because the other thing I've read is that modern auto motors are manufactured to sufficient tolerances, and in particular, plateau honing of the bores, that they should need virtually no running in.

Have also heard the suggestion that you should just thrash a motor from the outset to get the cylinder pressures up and force the rings to bed in properly.

But don't take my word for it. Again, I aint brave, especially if I've put it together myself.

I've researched oils (and appopriate use of) to death and just end up going in circles depending on what product they';re trying to sell you.
Old 13 February 2008, 01:03   #13
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Actually, I was gonna make a comment about tolerances in a modern engine & running in. Because the other thing I've read is that modern auto motors are manufactured to sufficient tolerances, and in particular, plateau honing of the bores, that they should need virtually no running in.

Have also heard the suggestion that you should just thrash a motor from the outset to get the cylinder pressures up and force the rings to bed in properly.

But don't take my word for it. Again, I aint brave, especially if I've put it together myself.

Not quite a straight thrash, but there is a specific procedure/sequence of loading you can use IF your nicely rebuilt engine is machined to the correct tolerances.

I'm not going to post what it is though as I'm guaranteed someone will try it on an engine and blow it up...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2008, 06:20   #14

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The claim is that on high quality synthetics the film strength is so high that the bores & rings don't wear enough to bed the rings in. So by using a mineral oil for the running in period, enough wear occurs to bed the rings in properly, at which point you can switch to a synthetic.
Stands good for BMW boxer engines... None of mine, so far, were really run in til around 15/20K.. at which point they stop using oil and it's time to switch to semi synths...