Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff > Tow vehicles, 4x4s, trucks, cars & bikes
Click Here to Login

Old 09 May 2021, 14:51   #1

Town: Ballyheigue
Boat name: Magic dragon
Make: Caribe
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner
Suitable towing vehicle for cobra 6.8m rib +150 Mercuery

Hi everyone. Apologies I'm sure this topic has been done to death. I'm looking at a buying a 2nd hand cobra 6.8m with 150hp Mercuery 2 stroke which comes on a single axle roller coaster trailer.
My question is whether my audi A6 190 hp 2 wheel drive will be powerful enough to launch and retrieve off a standard angle slip?

Cheers
Old 09 May 2021, 15:51   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
It will be powerful enough but might not have enough traction if the slipway is at all slippery.
Is it manual or auto? I've found autos to be more controllable on a slipway.
XC70 then XC90. 6.5m Scorpion, single axle roller coaster trailer.
Old 09 May 2021, 16:17   #3

Thanks Searider, much appreciated,. The slip ways i use (I had a smaller rib up tonthisbyear) are very well maintained and are not at all slippy.

My A6 is manual however.

Cheers
Old 09 May 2021, 16:32   #4

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
Like searider says, it'll have the power but you might struggle for traction. Also if you have to deal with steep slipways you might give the clutch a bit of a hard time.
One work around for the traction problem is to take the trailer nose weight off the tow vehicle by pulling it out on a rope or extension bar. Watch the trailer doesn't run into the back of your A6 though!
Have you checked the towing capacity on your A6 Vs the all up weight of the boat, trailer, fuel, toys etc? Our friends in blue are pretty hot on that stuff these days
Old 09 May 2021, 16:39   #5

Thanks Jon.

I'd didnt realise towing out using a rope would help with traction so that's great. I must double check the towing limit but I should be Ok in that regard.
Old 09 May 2021, 17:04   #6

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
It won't solve the problem but is a bit of a work around when you're stuck. Taking the weight off the hitch transfers more weight back onto your front wheels hence a tad more grip.
Old 09 May 2021, 17:15   #7

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
If your using a decent slip without much slime then I'd guess your fine & personally id rather a manual box anyway, modern dsg boxes use a double clutch arrangement instead of torque converter & personally I'd rather fix a manual clutch than an auto after either had a hard time towing. Tow capacity should be fine. If its single axle its probably less than 1800kg & pretty sure the audi will be good for that. We've used long ropes in the past to get out or get the car to flatter ground & use chocks to stop it rolling back until you shorten the rope.
Old 09 May 2021, 17:24   #8

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerMc1 View Post
Thanks Jon.

I'd didnt realise towing out using a rope would help with traction so that's great. I must double check the towing limit but I should be Ok in that regard.

Yep I would check. What’s your axle rating? [ATTACH]137315
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1718.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	137315  
Old 09 May 2021, 19:40   #9

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
I have a cobra 6.6 with the same engine on a 1900kg single axel trailer, with gear and fuel it v. Close to 1800kgs so you are close to the limit, I’d be checking on a weigh bridge just to be sure
Old 09 May 2021, 20:27   #10

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Ropes on the hitch if the slip is green, however I'll add a caveat, if it breaks then your pride and joy goes into free-fall. If you've got support, then a couple of people with tyre chocks will be handy. Slow and steady.

The Achilles heel on Audi is the tow hitch weight. On my A4 Allroad 177hp it's 80kg, and I've changed enough rear springs over the years to know it takes its toll. I take it your A6 is air suspension?

If the slip goes into soft sand, avoid dropping the trailer down too far as it will sink into the sand and you'll goose your clutch trying to shift it. Patience will say wait for the tide.
Old 10 May 2021, 08:17   #11

Town: Surrey/Cornwall
Make: Gemini GRX 420
Engine: Tohatsu D2 50Hp
Ropes on tow balls are a very bad idea.
Old 10 May 2021, 11:41   #12

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
There can be no argument that anything other than a big 4x4 is a compromise when towing a RIB that size.

Unfortunately of course that big 4x4 is a bigger compromise for 95% of the other journeys most do.

Nasher.
Old 10 May 2021, 12:55   #13

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
if ever stuck for traction pulling up a slipway on a 2WD FWD car, use a rope onto the front towing eye instead - when you pull, it puts puts more load onto the front (now operating as rear) tyres which can be just enough extra grip to get you out of a scrape.
Old 10 May 2021, 14:32   #14

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
I have a cobra 6.6 with the same engine on a 1900kg single axel trailer, with gear and fuel it v. Close to 1800kgs so you are close to the limit, I’d be checking on a weigh bridge just to be sure
,,, similarly,, mine is only a 6.0m Cobra HD, lighter than the Nautique spec I presume ,,, and with 1/2 tank of fuel, the usual anchors, rodes, & safety kit weighs 1760kg on a weighbridge. I would be surprised if a 6.8m with bow & stern mouldings & deck would be under 1800kg.
I would get it checked on a weighbridge,,
Old 10 May 2021, 14:44   #15

Town: New Ross
Boat name: SIRIUS
Make: Ribcraft 4.8M
Engine: 60HP Mariner EFi
MMSI: 250 005566
RIBase
We used to used two cars bonnet to bonnet with rope between. The car with rib and trailer on in traditional recovery position and the second car facing . You then have the second car reverse up slip assisting to pull the tow car and rib up. We used to do this all the time back in the day when our dive clubs 6.5 Tornado with twin engines needed recovering. Once our club moved to a 7.5m a few of us ended up buying 4x4 cars. Strangely only 4 of us ever towed the 7.5.
Old 10 May 2021, 16:25   #16

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
Assuming you are within the weight limits, I think it depends on the slipways you intend using.

I have a similar challenge - boat/trailer is around 1.9T and I tow it with a BMW 530D Touring which has a limit of 2T and hitch limit of 90KG. However I only launch in Wareham which never seems to be slippy and once a year I tow it to a lake near Bordeaux and again, the slipway doesn't suffer from green growth. The launch/recovery experience is great and towing on motorways/Autoroutes is also great. I do have an extended draw bar which means the car tyres doesn't reach the waters edge.

I don't think using a rope with a heavy rig is easy or safe for the inexperienced. I'd be inclined to work out if the slipways you intend using will work without a 4x4.
Old 11 May 2021, 02:31   #17

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Sounds like a pain messing with ropes. I would be looking at another vehicle for sure. Either all wheel drive or 4x4, preferably diesel for the torque and low range.

Depending on which boat Im towing on any given day I use Isuzu d max's, Mazda bt50, VW amorok and a Hyundai Santafe . All diesel automatics and all very capable even reversing up my steep drive.
Old 11 May 2021, 08:33   #18

Thanks everyone. I might rethink matters given the cross section of replies. Very helpful and in it full.
Old 11 May 2021, 11:58   #19

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
There can be no argument that anything other than a big 4x4 is a compromise when towing a RIB that size.

Unfortunately of course that big 4x4 is a bigger compromise for 95% of the other journeys most do.

Nasher.

4x4 is best for the Job...somthing older and possibly Japanese needn't cost the Earth to keep as a designated Tower.
Failing that a Biggish Diesel rear wheel drive (I've found Estates are better) will do a Job better than front wheel stuff for sure and again needn't break the Bank.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 12:28   #20

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
The problem is 4x4s have gone up ridiculously like everything else but I suspect its only a short term blip. If the op can limp on for this season with his current car next year might be a better time to upgrade. From the stated weights from other similar boats seems to suggest hes not only on or approaching his cars limit but possibly the limit of a single axle trailer. I think I'd be heading for a weighbridge to check before going too far

Tags
rib