Old 25 January 2005, 08:41   #21

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
There are a couple buzzing around where I live, I was in front of them one day while a police car was following they weren’t bothered with these two impressive looking bits of kit. Later that day I saw them stopped at a snack wagon, so taking the opportunity to get something to eat & a chat I stooped.
These quad bikes were the types usually used for competition 500cc engines, lots of suspension travel, loud exhaust (just about road legal) disk breaks all round.
They were saying they had to purchase a road kit, which included indicators, breaklight, horn, Speedo & a few other small bits & bobs which the dealer fitted to make them road legal.
They don’t have to use crash helmets because it has more than 2 wheels, the UK law states you have to use a crash helmet to ride on a motor bicycle.
There was a case a little while a go where someone was stopped while riding a BMW C1 (that’s a scooter type thing you sit IN “NOT ON” it has a roof with a built in roll cage)
He won his case because as he said he wasn’t riding ON a motor bicycle he was riding IN it.
Old 25 January 2005, 09:18   #22

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettal
It's just basically another toy!!! (shh not too loud or the misses might hear)

But there are some sensible reasons for this:

1.) Guernsey is pretty small and living in town, parking is at a premium, especially since our planning office (our equiv.) has just told me to put my wall back at the front of the house.....where the car is currently parked! However I could fit a quad into the space once the wall is returned.

2.) Our max speed limit is 35mph........anything above that whilst entertaining is wasted unless you travel to Europe or the mainland. I tend to fly and hire rather than drive these days.

3.) My commute is (worst case) 6 mins door to door, so even if the weather isn't that nice it's still not a major headache and definately no worse than spending several hours bouncing across waves in the drizzle!

4.) Savings on road tax, insurance and fuel.

5.) It's just a top toy!

Now that I've used you lot to get my excuses in order I think it's time I approached the Misses on this one!!!!
Hey Pettal,

Perhaps this ticks all the boxes?

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/produc...p?view=gallery

Ian.
Old 25 January 2005, 09:27   #23

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles
Hey Pettal,

Perhaps this ticks all the boxes?

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/produc...p?view=gallery

Ian.
That one is a bit agricultural - anything a bit faster?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2005, 15:16   #24

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
NOt sure how much of this applies in Guernsey but this is the current situation in the UK...

You can put any quad 'on the road' but it has to meet the requirements of the relevant road traffic act regarding lighting etc. To register and licence it it has to go through a SVA inspection at a Vehicle Inspectorate testing station (the ones that test HGV's) basically this is like a one off intense MOT. This will not need to be carried out annually as an MOT is but it's still your responsibility to maintain it in a roadworthy condition. Basically it's treate as a one off vehicle as a kit car woul be.

Ram quads have obtained European type approval and as such do not need an SVA inspection though they may need an MOT.

I have a Honda 450cc 'agricultural' quad, does 40mph happily and just about gets to 50 if you push it, it's just too low geared. Honda started making them with a hydraulic transmission which would take them to about 70 which doesn't bear thinking about. I have my tyre pressures high as it does a lot of mileage on hard surfaces, but even at that they're only 6psi which makes for ineresting steering on offroad tyres!

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2005, 15:22   #25

Pettal incidentaly an agricultural type will also quite happily tow your boat on it's trailer. Before anyone else points it out yes I know it would be illegal, just pointing out that they are quite powerful enough to do it. A good solution on private land, this is why I bought mine, sold the old landrover that sat outside rusting all year round.

Old 25 January 2005, 22:01   #26

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Hi All,

Thanks for the comments and sorry I've been a bit lax in replying.....but busy, busy, busy at the moment.......which is not good.

Still haven't rung the old bill yet, but I do know that we don't have MOT's in Guernsey.......which is nice in some respects......other's it ain't! But if you break down your never that far from a garage!

I've had a squizz around and it looks like there are far more agricultural types kicking around. The few road specific ones I've seen are from companies I'd never even heard of, so may have to go down the route of a farmer giles version rather than the boy racer types I've seen.

Anyhoo, I may pull the proverbial finger out tomorrow and ring the police and see what they have to say on the subject.

Thanks again!

P
Old 27 January 2005, 14:52   #27

Ok.......rang the old bill and they told me lots of useful stuff, without laughing!

1.) Make sure the one you get has slip diff......makes sense for road use.
2.) You don't have to wear a helmet but would recommend you do as legislation is coming in to make it law......also might save your head from falling off......again makes sense.
3.) Will be taxed as a car and you can't park in moti-cycle spaces......probably different in the UK so pretty useless outside Guernsey, but kinda makes me think twice now as that was part of the appeal.
4.) The quad has to comply with the EU guide lines for road quads (EU21 or something)
5.) Suggest you go around on quiet roads to start with, until your used to how it handles. Every road over here is pretty quiet except for school kick out times and rush hour well.....10 mins, but we are smaller!

So off I went and found a quad that I wanted and enquired about the price. Almost fell over laughing when he said £6995!!!!

Now looking for a nearly new A2!!
Old 27 January 2005, 15:32   #28

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Sounds well steep.
Have found 250 and 300 cc road legals for about £2500
Old 28 January 2005, 08:45   #29

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Try having a look in Bike Trader (the bike version of Auto Trader - it usually has quite a few - otherwise call Blue Water Marine (it's where Watkins were in Island Street Salcombe) on 01548 843383 and ask Pete about the road legal buggies - single and double seat things that are small, and open but you sit in them rather than on them - got a steering wheel just like a car - only good for short local journeys though as they run on small 4 stroke engines with a centrifugal clutch.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2005, 09:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks
Sounds well steep.
Have found 250 and 300 cc road legals for about £2500
Yeah this is a Gas Gas

http://shop.ramquads.com/product5602...category=20216

Very steep........but moves like warm greased sh*t on a shiny shovel!!

When I go toys........I normally go stupid!
Old 28 January 2005, 09:38   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
Try having a look in Bike Trader (the bike version of Auto Trader - it usually has quite a few - otherwise call Blue Water Marine (it's where Watkins were in Island Street Salcombe) on 01548 843383 and ask Pete about the road legal buggies - single and double seat things that are small, and open but you sit in them rather than on them - got a steering wheel just like a car - only good for short local journeys though as they run on small 4 stroke engines with a centrifugal clutch.

Yeah I looked at those, but wasn't convinced. If they maybe went a bit faster as they only do 40kph top speed and had bigger wheels on them and looked a bit more grrr.......then maybe!
Old 28 January 2005, 14:45   #32

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Too much money

mate of mine just bought an ex farmer special from a country house auction for £350.

Runs fine but not road legal. Not very Grrrrrr either, but Cheeep.
Old 28 January 2005, 14:56   #33

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
try this lot

http://www.honda.co.uk/atv/

dan
Old 28 January 2005, 17:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel TD5
try this lot

http://www.honda.co.uk/atv/

dan
Hi Daniel,

Honda are refusing to do road legal quad bikes as they don't agree with it...according to one of their press releases I saw on the web. Maybe with everyone else starting to do them they may just have to change their mind!

It's a shame as there are some nice Honda offroad quads that'd be a treat as a road version!!!
Old 31 January 2005, 17:11   #35

Town: Warwick
Make: Avon - Searider
Engine: 75hp mariner
Illegal cos lacking weight??

Quote:
Originally Posted by roohairy
Pettal incidentaly an agricultural type will also quite happily tow your boat on it's trailer. Before anyone else points it out yes I know it would be illegal, just pointing out that they are quite powerful enough to do it. A good solution on private land, this is why I bought mine, sold the old landrover that sat outside rusting all year round.

Are they illegal because of the lack of weight? I have been thinking about one to launch a 4m searider across sand/shingle - there is a short section of public road and then a private track- wasn't sure if they would be substantial enough to retrieve boat/trailer...
Old 31 January 2005, 22:04   #36

There are people doing kits for Honda quads to bring them up to standard, I was quoted £450 - £500 for a dealer to supply but not fit, 2 different kits from 2 dealers. One had trailer electrics, one didn't. Both involved a new front bullbar to carry the lights and indicators, and completely new lighting at the back.

I used to use my 450cc Honda Foreman to launch a fairly heay 18' dory / 85Hp on a rollercoaster trailer without problems but it was on a fairly sound surface. The problem with quads is not power but getting enough grip to use it. I also regulary use it to tow 1/2 tonne of firewood in a trailer across a soft peaty hillside without problems as long as you don't stop on the really soft bits.

Something at least 300cc and agricultural will have no trouble with a 4m rib. There was a nice 2 or 3 year old Honda Foreman 350 that was licenced and 'on the road' on Ebay a while ago, think the reserve was about £2500, also don't think it sold....

A word of warning, they're very 'desireable' to certain people, the Scottish police say that 1 in 3 quads will be stolen at some point in it's life and 50% of private sales are not legit, so check out the chassis numbers with the police before buying. There was a gang operating in the Highlands, just driving around with a horsebox scouting for machines then returning at night.

Old 31 January 2005, 22:21   #37

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: eyore
Length: no boat
Engine: donkie engine
by heck pettal, bargain quad!

i were at MAKRO in Eccles today an they have a quad-bike at £899 if that helps - just a 100cc jobbie
Old 06 February 2005, 08:43   #38

Town: Warwick
Make: Avon - Searider
Engine: 75hp mariner
Thanks for replies - more investigation of terrain needed
Old 06 February 2005, 16:57   #39

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Pendragon
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 200 suzuki
Sure some of these points have been covered:
-Tyres, check speed rating, most farm quad tyres are rated to 15 to 20 mph, over this and you not insured.
- Towing limits, RNLI had to replace our quad with a landy as it was not upto the job to tow legally on the road, only have a D class.
-tax it as a tractor and you donot require indicators , break lights etc, just fron t light, rear light, number plate light. (limited mileage per week)
Cheap quad bikes donot exist, not ones that work or are not hot.

Ever thought a tractor may be a better buy and you can go deeper when launching.

Good luck