Old 08 November 2012, 22:04   #1

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Passed my bike test! What next??

Passed my full bike test today!! with only 1 minor for saying the wrong tyre tread depth nearly had a clean sheet. Now wanting to ditch my yamaha xt125x for a big supermoto! Anybody by anychance had any experience with any of these??

Suzuki drz400sm, KTM 690 lc4, honda fmx650 or hursbergs or husqvarna's??

im drifting towards the honda cause its cheapest but cheapest isnt always best!
Old 08 November 2012, 22:36   #2

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Used to have an LC4, nice bike. Nothing ever came close to the grin factor of my old yammie IT250 tho ))

Sent from my portable speaking device using Rib.net
Old 08 November 2012, 22:52   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Boat name: PLAYER 1
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: OB/P/250
MMSI: 235090989
RIBase
I've got a Husky 510TE for green laning. Think the supermoto one is similar - but a few more cc's. Make sure you have long legs..I don't. Goes like a rocket and wants to lift the front in the first 3 gears.
Old 08 November 2012, 22:53   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Boat name: PLAYER 1
Make: Zodiac
Engine: OB/P/250
MMSI: 235090989
RIBase
Meant to say of those the LC4 would be my choice.
Old 09 November 2012, 05:54   #5

Town: Ebbw Vale, Gwent
Boat name: Seabay
Make: Avon, Bonwitco
Length: 3m +
Engine: 4,25,35 Johnsons
Well done. Always a great feeling. Drz400 for me.
Old 09 November 2012, 06:50   #6

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Luke i race a honda cr250 and my son races a yz250 both converted to supermoto spec in speed hillclimb events , i also have a ktm 640 supermoto on the road and my son will race a 450 husky next year .all great fun bikes BUT only buy a supermoto for road use if it is a second vehicle /toy they are bloody uncomfortable unless they are the bigger less lairy versions .the honda or suzuki would be best allrounder the others more intense and more fun
Old 09 November 2012, 06:50   #7

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Well done from here too. And well done for going the supermoto route; the most fun I ever had on bikes was on my old CCM 644 DS.

This info is a bit out of date cos i got out of biking about 5 yrs ago but for what it's worth: Huskies and Bergs are too temperamental (though I stand to be corrected on this by Aries) and the Honda is really a commuter dressed up like a SM. The LC4 is a great bike but pricey and the Suzi would be cheaper and slightly less 'lairy' but easier to throw around. Be wary of 'proper' motards (YZF400s et al) they need rebuilding a lot if you use them hard; it's essentially a race bike. If you see a good looking CCM 404 then you could do worse; it's the same motor as the DRZ and they got very good reviews when they came out. Some people will tell you to avoid CCM due to build quality but mine was great. The 644 was cast Iron and you could throw it down a lift shaft and it's keep going.

Oh and make sure the first things on your shopping list are a short front mudguard and bark busters if it doesn't already have 'em .

All this has made me quite nostalgic... I'm off to cry into my tea. Have fun!
Old 09 November 2012, 07:02   #8

cheers guys!! Definatly wanna stay 4 stroke.....mostly because of the sound! Been trawling through some websites & these are a few ive found...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201244490647910/sort/priceasc/usedbikes/body-type/super_moto/price-to/3000/cc-from/400cc/page/2/radius/1500/postcode/bh192ns?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201141421220251/sort/priceasc/usedbikes/body-type/super_moto/cc-from/400cc/page/1/quicksearch/true/postcode/bh192ns/radius/1500?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201240486956415/sort/priceasc/usedbikes/body-type/super_moto/price-to/3000/cc-from/400cc/radius/1500/postcode/bh192ns/page/2?logcode=p

The KTM is definatly my favourite from what you guys have said, this ones in my price range, after market exhaust.....& just looks great!!

Anybody wanna buy a yamaha xt125x?
Old 09 November 2012, 07:05   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
What you really want is a KTM Superenduro - puts the Oooh back into hooligan!

And a donor card.
Old 09 November 2012, 07:54   #10

well that cancels out the KTM SMC....over 2k for fully comp, and 1.7k for third party fire & theft insurance!!! would be cheaper to get a car then. So far ive had quotes for the husky & suzuki for 1k 3rd part fire & theft. The honda fmx is 1.2k to insure but is the cheapest bike.

Im only going to have a bike till i can afford to drive, so trying to keep things cheap! So should only have it for a year then sell it again. Think it norrows it down to the honda & suzuki
Old 09 November 2012, 08:31   #11

Town: Plymouth
Why not stick with the 125 and put the saving towards a car ? Especially during the winter months when the extra speed could be lethal!

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 09 November 2012, 08:53   #12

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
Go for the Suzuki and buy a set of off-road wheels and tyres., that way you get to play in the dirt which is great fun . I know quite a few people who've taken their bike licence as a stepping stone to getting a car, all have ended up keeping the bike in addition to the car.

As a point point of interest, what do you intend using the bike for ? Super-motors tend to be sold as hooligan town bikes but their wide handlebars make it difficult to filter through traffic at rush hour, they usually have small fuel tanks limiting range and their narrow hard seats and lack of a fairing limit their cruising potential.

I've owned a dr and a Yamaha xt660 both as trail bikes and loved them both. Have you thought about the Yamaha xt660. It seemed to buck the trend in that it had a more reasonable range and was quite comfy. The only reason I don't have it now is because it was written off when som scumbags tried to steal it.
Old 09 November 2012, 09:19   #13

Boats&Outboards"]Why not stick with the 125 and put the saving towards a car ?

Cause my 125 is so slow. Willonly trundle along at 60!

The longest journey i do is 30minutes to college the rest is 5 minutes to work, 20minutes poole or just blasting round country back roads! Lookimg for more speed 1. For the fun & 2. For the dual carriage ways to colllege & poole. Looking for something thatll atleast do 80mph

& love the idea of having a set of off & on road wheels!

Definatly top 2 are the drz & honda from looking at insurance
Old 09 November 2012, 09:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewhiting
cheers guys!! Definatly wanna stay 4 stroke.....mostly because of the sound! Been trawling through some websites & these are a few ive found...

The KTM is definatly my favourite from what you guys have said, this ones in my price range, after market exhaust.....& just looks great!!

Anybody wanna buy a yamaha xt125x?
Had a Akrapovic system on my KTM 640...one of my favourite pastimes was making small children cry when I came past them

I need to stop reading this thread before I do something stupid like buy another one!

Old 09 November 2012, 09:40   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
...one of my favourite pastimes was making small children cry when I came past them
And this stopped when you sold the bike?
Old 09 November 2012, 10:07   #16

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Had a Akrapovic system on my KTM 640...one of my favourite pastimes was making small children cry when I came past them

I need to stop reading this thread before I do something stupid like buy another one!

Hehe. I remember rolling through the lake district on a Visordown rideout. 15 big singles on open-ish pipes make a fantastic noise (mine had a baffle that made it <ahem> street legal, probably). Twas a great day until one of the YZFs seized solid.

As for useage: I think I agree with ppenman on everything other than the fact I never had any trouble filtering on my motard. You can waggle it from side to side in a way you can't with a 'big' bike to get past wing mirrors etc.
Old 09 November 2012, 10:37   #17
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewhiting View Post
Boats&Outboards"]Why not stick with the 125 and put the saving towards a car ?

Cause my 125 is so slow. Willonly trundle along at 60!

The longest journey i do is 30minutes to college the rest is 5 minutes to work, 20minutes poole or just blasting round country back roads! Lookimg for more speed 1. For the fun & 2. For the dual carriage ways to colllege & poole. Looking for something thatll atleast do 80mph

& love the idea of having a set of off & on road wheels!

Definatly top 2 are the drz & honda from looking at insurance
Congrats on passing, but I agree with B&O yer better off savin fur a car, yule b able 2 tow that RIB you wanted then. a series 3 landy would probably only cost a couple hundred on insurance, and loadsa fun when to choppy to go RIBin. the 4stk bikes do sound wicked though.
Old 09 November 2012, 16:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht

Congrats on passing, but I agree with B&O yer better off savin fur a car, yule b able 2 tow that RIB you wanted then. a series 3 landy would probably only cost a couple hundred on insurance, and loadsa fun when to choppy to go RIBin. the 4stk bikes do sound wicked though.
Sensible thing would be to save i know...but few of my friends have bigger sports bikes & i get left behind!
Old 09 November 2012, 16:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
And this stopped when you sold the bike?
Ah but I thought that subject was banned on Ribnet
Old 09 November 2012, 16:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewhiting View Post
Sensible thing would be to save i know...but few of my friends have bigger sports bikes & i get left behind!
Slow and steady wins the race. Many of us are only here by sheer luck or some divine intervention.

Give it 10 years and see how many of your friends with bigger sports bikes are no longer with us. Sorry but thats the reality of it.

I've lost more friends to motorcycles than any other single cause. I'm sure others will concur.