Old 07 February 2010, 21:59   #1

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
New tow car

OK the Cherokee is now well past its sell by date and is due for replacement. Can't complain as it has lasted 10 years without any major issues running up and down the country towing the boat.
I am considering an 3 year old Nissan X Trail or a Jeep Patriot as a replacement. Would prefer a car for comfort and economy but the RIB is just big enough to require 4 wheel drive for launching/recovery most of the time.

Any views or otherwise on these two, good or bad? I don't need a large 4X4 apart from the RIB towing and Landrovers are definitely not on the list. Anything else I should consider about the same size and capability?

Need to buy something within the next month before the MOT comes round so nothing exotic is possible.
Old 07 February 2010, 22:43   #2

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Hi Bruce...

My 'alternative' suggestion would be a Hyundai Santa Fe (new shape -06 0nwards?). I was REALLY surpised /impressed when I looked at these....one from autotrader...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...%2F1&logcode=p

Also, we sometimes run a newer shape (53 plate) Cherokee. It's a 3.7 petrol, so a little thirsty, but was bought very cheaply at auction a few years ago (as a stop gap tow car when my Rangie wasn't playing ball) and has never put a foot wrong /so has never been sold....they still represent great vfm IMO. That said, my Grand Cherokee isn't always as reliable....luck of the draw I guess!

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2010, 06:07   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Isuzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
OK the Cherokee is now well past its sell by date and is due for replacement. Can't complain as it has lasted 10 years without any major issues running up and down the country towing the boat.
I am considering an 3 year old Nissan X Trail or a Jeep Patriot as a replacement. Would prefer a car for comfort and economy but the RIB is just big enough to require 4 wheel drive for launching/recovery most of the time.

Any views or otherwise on these two, good or bad? I don't need a large 4X4 apart from the RIB towing and Landrovers are definitely not on the list. Anything else I should consider about the same size and capability?

Need to buy something within the next month before the MOT comes round so nothing exotic is possible.
You can't beat an Isuzu Trooper.
Well you can but they just keep on going and going.
Old 08 February 2010, 12:04   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Worth View Post
Hi Bruce...

My 'alternative' suggestion would be a Hyundai Santa Fe (new shape -06 0nwards?). I was REALLY surpised /impressed when I looked at these....one from autotrader...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...%2F1&logcode=p
I'd second this - I've been running one for the last 3 1/2 years and dont have a bad word to say about them. Get a seven seat and they have self leveling rear suspension - you dont loose anything in boot space either - just 2 extra seats if needed. And second hand you still have a couple of years warranty . Of course they will drop like a stone in value - buy buying used someone else will have taken a big hit !

oh and I was averaging 43mpg on the motorway yesterday !
Old 08 February 2010, 12:13   #5

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
Mate in work uses a KIA Sorento to tow a 6m odd caravan.
100% reliable so far......
dont ask for a replacement locking wheelnut spanner though!
Old 08 February 2010, 13:58   #6

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi Bruce support Doggiepaddle as I have a Sorento great drive good with trailer good of road and economical buy the desiel version though. I have been very plesantly surprised all round even the servicing costs are good.
Best of luck

Billy
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 February 2010, 14:03   #7

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
Jeeesus I have publicly condoned owning an oriental 4X4
sorry codders, I will go and slam my head in the landrover door 4 times
Old 08 February 2010, 14:17   #8

RIBase
Jeeesus DP you will be run out of wales by the Landy police!! H

A both had bad results at the w/end!!

J
Old 08 February 2010, 14:24   #9

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
if you can put up with a name like kia, then all ive heard they are great cars!!

currently running a A3 and will be the last Audi,
they do tow very well but feck me , when they go wrong>>> and yep mines gone wrong again, the maintenance co went bankrupt so we have to pay for all the serviceing, 8 months ago, broke down, loss of power etc etc
£1250 for one injector bit of wiring and labour

today, dpf filter warning light comes on,car on 20%power RAC cant fix it, back to the dealer. (still sat on driveway).

Car goes back to the leasing company in march so chasing around the dealerships and on line sites for the best deals on a replacement. with manufacturer maintenance

they want £1000 plus £200 fitting and computer reset for small section of exhaust pipe with this filter inside, (cannot be regenerated due to blocked inside @77%.

Audi A4 multitronic gearbox, 4 gear valves @450 each, maint company said eff off< court case later they paid but off the road a total of 44 days.

WHATS IN A NAME?? BUGGER ALL
Old 08 February 2010, 14:26   #10

RIBase
Yea Matt took me a while to realise that but under the bonnet of my Kia beats a Merc CRDI and the rest is good as well.
J
Old 08 February 2010, 15:15   #11
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
if you can put up with a name like kia, then all ive heard they are great cars!!

they do tow very well but feck me , when they go wrong>>> and yep mines gone wrong again, the maintenance co went bankrupt so we have to pay for all the serviceing, 8 months ago, broke down, loss of power etc etc

today, dpf filter warning light comes on,car on 20%power RAC cant fix it, back to the dealer. (still sat on driveway).

Car goes back to the leasing company in march so chasing around the dealerships and on line sites for the best deals on a replacement. with manufacturer maintenance

they want £1000 plus £200 fitting and computer reset for small section of exhaust pipe with this filter inside, (cannot be regenerated due to blocked inside @77%.

Audi A4 multitronic gearbox, 4 gear valves @450 each, maint company said eff off< court case later they paid but off the road a total of 44 days.

Yep that will be the new super hi tec Diesels which are truly amazing mate got a 123d 200+ bhp 47mpg and pulls like a train. Mind you once it had a few miles on it and it starts to play silly sods then you are into big £££ and main dealer to fix it.

My last car (Audi number 6) Fuel pump ECU went on my V6 tdi Audi 1700 + fitting to sort. In tank fuel pump then went 300 quid. All sorted then I wrote it off, crashing it into the road.

Got a petrol car now and will stick to the simple to fix motors going forward. Oh and it is not an Audi
Old 08 February 2010, 15:16   #12

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: Magic II
Make: Tohatsu 6.1
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 115 E-tec
MMSI: 235050189
Send a message via Skype™ to kwil
Hi Bruce

I have the X-Trail, 5 years old never missed a beat and reasonable on diesel even when towing and the towing limit of 2000Kg is not affected by the load in the vehicle.

Keith
Old 08 February 2010, 16:19   #13

I had looked at the Sorrento as I heard good things about it, will see what parkers guide says tonight when the missus turns up with one.
I personally don't care what the badge is but the missus is a badge snob, they are all grey on the inside!
I just want something that is comfortable, economic and has 4 wheel drive, off road ability is not needed just the ability to lift a 1.2t RIB up a steep slip without slipping all over the place.
Old 08 February 2010, 18:43   #14

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Well I'm driving a shitty korean job ,.. Ssanyong which is rather good all mercedes engine and running gear,.. not sure I'd totally reccomend it because of its resale, but its done the job damn well, just changing it for another now. Found it quite pricey to service £660 for a 24k mile main service for example OTOH .. 33 mpg from 2.7 TDi that pulls like a train and has the 3.5 tonne low limit new ones are 3.2 for some reason

Kia .. wife had a Sedona .. not that impressed, fair few problems initially, and dis-interested dealer didnt help, again resale is the issue, and she did want the V6 petrol even after my advice to buy the diesel which sell for a shed load more 2nd hand .. HTH
Old 08 February 2010, 20:24   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
sorry codders, I will go and slam my head in the landrover door 4 times
Best make that the back door, DP, 'cos the side ones bend
Old 08 February 2010, 21:20   #16

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Best make that the back door, DP, 'cos the side ones bend
You could fit your head in some of the panel gaps!
Old 08 February 2010, 22:38   #17

Will be going looking next week, Patriot seems the favourite at the moment cos the missus is a snob with badges. Personally they all look the same from the inside so I don't care as long as its reliable and cheap to run but women, can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em.
The Santa Fe, Sorrento and X-trail are also still in the running, it'll come down to what is most comfortable ate the best price and available.
Old 09 February 2010, 17:45   #18

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Jeep Patriot's have terrible reputation for build quality this side of the pond....well all jeeps do to be honest. It's the common link between Jeep and LR you know! I'd similarly stay clear of the new shape Cherokee. I had a couple of them (known as Liberty over here) and had lots of problems.

I'd echo the 'you can't go wrong with a Trooper' sentiment - of all the tow cars I had in the UK, it was the best/most bulletproof. Kia Sorrento would be a good choice too.

If your profile is correct your RIB is 5.8m? Do you really need a 4x4 then? I towed and launched a 6.5m RIB with a succession of 2.5v6 Mondeo Estates back when I worked for Uncle Henry. Worked well on paved slipways although not so good on sand or mud.
Old 09 February 2010, 19:32   #19

Town: wells
Engine: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post

Matt, same dilema, have you looked at the saab 9-3 ttid 1.9d twin turbo 180bhp? not sure what lease deals are available but 150gm emissions!
Old 09 February 2010, 20:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Jeep Patriot's have terrible reputation for build quality this side of the pond....well all jeeps do to be honest. It's the common link between Jeep and LR you know! I'd similarly stay clear of the new shape Cherokee. I had a couple of them (known as Liberty over here) and had lots of problems.

I'd echo the 'you can't go wrong with a Trooper' sentiment - of all the tow cars I had in the UK, it was the best/most bulletproof. Kia Sorrento would be a good choice too.

If your profile is correct your RIB is 5.8m? Do you really need a 4x4 then? I towed and launched a 6.5m RIB with a succession of 2.5v6 Mondeo Estates back when I worked for Uncle Henry. Worked well on paved slipways although not so good on sand or mud.
I have had an old style Cherokee for 10 years and over 100000 miles with hardly a problem, its now on its last legs and will probably fail its MOT tomorrow and not be worth fixing, I think. certainly compared to the Landy I had its been extremely well behaved.
I live on the west coast of scotland and launch on many steep and weedy slips and beaches, its not the towing of the boat that is the problem but the launch and recovery. Especially when you are a million miles from any help so you HAVE to be able to get the whole assembly out yourself or its underwater as the tide comes in.