Old 25 April 2021, 19:29   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Been doing more research. See that every single thing you could want and many things you'd never have thought of are available for the VWs.... much less so for other makes.
Old 26 April 2021, 07:53   #22

Town: Falmouth
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150F
Very true, the choice with what you can do with a transporter is vast. There's even kits you can buy to make/fit yourself.

Have you had thoughts about LWB/SWB? The biggest advantage of a SWB transporter is it fits in a car park space without sticking out, if it's going to be your daily driver it makes every day life easier. Mines SWB and a good friend has just changed from a LWB to SWB, although the difference isn't that much, he finds the SWB so much easier compared with his LWB.

A word of warning, if you go down the VW route, on the VW Bi turbo 180HP engines, there was an issue before and up to around 2012 that the EGR valve assembly can break down and deposit debris into the engine righting off the engine. VW have since rectified the part.
Old 26 April 2021, 08:44   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipster100 View Post
Very true, the choice with what you can do with a transporter is vast. There's even kits you can buy to make/fit yourself.

Have you had thoughts about LWB/SWB? The biggest advantage of a SWB transporter is it fits in a car park space without sticking out, if it's going to be your daily driver it makes every day life easier. Mines SWB and a good friend has just changed from a LWB to SWB, although the difference isn't that much, he finds the SWB so much easier compared with his LWB.

A word of warning, if you go down the VW route, on the VW Bi turbo 180HP engines, there was an issue before and up to around 2012 that the EGR valve assembly can break down and deposit debris into the engine righting off the engine. VW have since rectified the part.

Sort of agree with the SWB/LWB point. If you’re used to driving cars & not vans, getting into a van for the first time can be daunting. I’m used to vans & I’ve had both SWB & LWB transporters, current one is LWB & I don’t notice the extra length on the road, however it makes a huge difference inside the van. A bit like going from a 4.8m RIB to a 5.5. Personally I wouldn’t go back to SWB.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2021, 09:07   #24

Town: Maybole
Boat name: Greylag
Make: AVON Searider
Engine: Outboard Petrol 70hp
Dave as you are nearly Scottish - Yorkshire is quite close - and like a good deal: please ask Brentacre for a quote: the VWT6 Forum and a lot of van converts have saved a good few quid! iain Brentacre van Insurance - 01792 650 933.
Old 26 April 2021, 09:15   #25

PD, were you in Mylor last summer with a SIB? I saw a van that looked very much like yours (from the photo earlier in the thread) on the beach near the slip by Castaways?
Old 26 April 2021, 09:45   #26

Got to remember for our specific "day van" needs there will never be a bed or full run of kitchen units so a SWB is sufficient... in fact essential. A SWB will go in the garage should there be a need and that's a non negotiable aspect.

The configuration I'm moving towards is two seats in front with the gap between so we can squeeze through to the rear without getting out of the doors... I'd want swivel bases on those. Also just two of the captain type rear seats again with a gap so we can access the load space without going outside.

I would plan to make a small custom removable pod with a vey small sink, water container under and manual plunge pump plus a space beside the sink for a portable gas single ring.

A portaloo will be placed somewhere possibly with a removable housing so stuff can be placed over it.... as GuyC comments located so you can sit on it while frying a couple of slices of bacon... all saves time.

Appreciate the mention of the engine issue found on one of the VW models... would take care to avoid that. I see with Mercedes that it is somewhat at random which VED bracket a vehicle might come in... many are the near £600 yearly and only specific ones just over £300... mind you in truth that's a psycological rather than affordability issue really.
Old 26 April 2021, 09:54   #27

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipster100 View Post
PD, were you in Mylor last summer with a SIB? I saw a van that looked very much like yours (from the photo earlier in the thread) on the beach near the slip by Castaways?

Yup, that was us. Nice part of the country & a first for us. We were camping at the “Lama” farm.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 26 April 2021, 09:58   #28

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Got to remember for our specific "day van" needs there will never be a bed or full run of kitchen units so a SWB is sufficient... in fact essential. A SWB will go in the garage should there be a need and that's a non negotiable aspect.

The configuration I'm moving towards is two seats in front with the gap between so we can squeeze through to the rear without getting out of the doors... I'd want swivel bases on those. Also just two of the captain type rear seats again with a gap so we can access the load space without going outside.

I would plan to make a small custom removable pod with a vey small sink, water container under and manual plunge pump plus a space beside the sink for a portable gas single ring.

A portaloo will be placed somewhere possibly with a removable housing so stuff can be placed over it.... as GuyC comments located so you can sit on it while frying a couple of slices of bacon... all saves time.

Appreciate the mention of the engine issue found on one of the VW models... would take care to avoid that. I see with Mercedes that it is somewhat at random which VED bracket a vehicle might come in... many are the near £600 yearly and only specific ones just over £300... mind you in truth that's a psycological rather than affordability issue really.

Re. VED, if you buy something that started out as a panel van with N1 classification, you’ll pay commercial VED around £260/yr. If you buy an M1/dual purpose/factory camper (California e.g.) you’ll pay passenger VED rates. Iirc a Cali is around £600/yr.
Old 26 April 2021, 10:00   #29

If you're down our way again let me know, bring your Ribcraft too, lots of good spots to head too and very helpful at Mylor. I launch my 585 from there as both slipways are free as you'll have probably seen. Great food in Mylor Cafe too.
Old 26 April 2021, 10:17   #30

Wow what a mini minefield. Never before had I needed to check a vehicle's Revenue Weight and hunt around the .Gov VED info.

So it seems as you say... if 3500kg or under revenue weight and left registered as a van then £275/yr but with greater chance of a speeding ticket. If 3500kg and under reclassified as a motorhome £280/yr and fewer speeding fines... but you do need to meet the test of sleeping and cooking facilities etc. With a M1 class "airport run" 8-seater just a case of looking carefully at the CO2 g/km and keeping it to 225 to avoid the £600ish VED.

Also note researching the MOT history of a few examples close to what we might want that testers note as advisory if the seats fitted are not as when built.

Another lockdown research project & learning curve.
Old 26 April 2021, 10:23   #31

Just watch the insurance too on a 8 seater, I think the extra 3rd row of seats (even if not permanently fitted) can make the premium go up, again, all to do with classification!
Old 26 April 2021, 10:57   #32

Thanks... I'll run a few examples past GoCompare shortly to see the range of prices.
Old 26 April 2021, 12:17   #33

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Wow what a mini minefield. Never before had I needed to check a vehicle's Revenue Weight and hunt around the .Gov VED info.

So it seems as you say... if 3500kg or under revenue weight and left registered as a van then £275/yr but with greater chance of a speeding ticket. If 3500kg and under reclassified as a motorhome £280/yr and fewer speeding fines... but you do need to meet the test of sleeping and cooking facilities etc..

Nearly but not quite, and this is where the law works in your favour...for once.
Buy commercial van, pay commercial VED
Convert to Motor Caravan within the requirements of the 1979 Type approval regs. Vehicle is now subject to car speed limits, irrespective of what it says on V5.

You do not have to get the vehicle registered as a motor caravan by the DVLA, in fact if you tried, they would refuse to do it.

Taxation class of said vehicle remains as it was when registered, so you continue to pay commercial VED rates, but drive at car speed limits. It’s a win-win that has been confirmed by VOSA/DVLA/Police
Old 26 April 2021, 13:48   #34

OK understood... but bear in mind the small amount of work I'd do to anything currently registered as an N1 van will not take it into the definition of motor caravan... so in an extreme case if being honest or if it was inspected I'd lose. But never say never.

Just run the insurance through Confused and it's fine... currently Mondeo 2lit diesel £187... an 8-seater Viano 2.2 diesel auto with leather £238 and the same version with the 3.0 lit engine £261. All prices with Churchill my current insurer.
Old 18 May 2021, 13:11   #35

Just for the chat...

Been looking casually since this thread start almost two months ago and then intensively for the past three weeks once management had approved a boating biased truck.

Transporters appealing that they are rarely have the layout/trim start position I want and if they do the prices are eye watering for a given age. Similarly re trim levels with Ford, Renault, Citroen etc albeit they are cheaper. Some fascinating Japanese import day vans of a type we don't normally get here but too niche re parts/info for me.

So a Viano it is. I am making the shortest "Compact" length non-negotiable... as is excluding a £600 VED figure... yes I know you can make a financial case in the round that it's fine but it's just a sticking point for me. If a 2.2 diesel I really want manual... if a 3lit auto is OK. Only later 3lit models fall in a low enough VED class though. I want leather for its wipe clean ability too. Also essential two not three seats in the front so I can fit swivels and really prefer two individual second row seats with a table not a three abreast.

All these things knock out 90% of the possibles and so far there has been an issue one way or another with the remaining 10%... so the search continues.
Old 24 May 2021, 14:59   #36

Well the idyllic dream of returning to the slip, packing up the SIB and sitting with a brew in a comfy seat looking out the large side door of a motor at the glorious sunset has just cost me dear.

In the form of a 3lit auto Viano Compact with the rear captains seats and foldout tables etc. Full report on dream vs reality when it arrives later this week and I do a test pack with the boat gear and give it a thrash on familiar roads.

Off to search for leather trimmed portapottis.
Old 24 May 2021, 16:13   #37

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Are you going to have a "go fund me" page?

Well done on finding what you wanted, looking forward to the in depth report but wondering if you have room on the drive? Is the Mondeo staying as well?
Old 24 May 2021, 16:41   #38

GoFundMe would be a help.

I've traded the Mondeo for simplicity and re length the Viano is 8cm shorter than the Mondeo Estate. It will though loom large a bit more on the drive next to neighbours lounge bay window... reckon he'll be an hour later getting winter sun in the mornings!
Old 24 May 2021, 19:17   #39

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Nice one David, that didn't take you long to find what you wanted. Hope it works out the way you wish it too.
Old 31 May 2021, 20:56   #40

So here is my personal idea of the day van we wanted. Came with six individual seats with the rearmost four facing each other over the tables but we have taken the rear two out. With the middle two set looking forwards it gives loads of leg/table room plus loadspace enough to have boat and outboard front to rear on one side leaving space for a very small single burner cooking unit/pod I'll make. The flexibility of seating on clip in rails is amazing.

I will get some load tie downs fitted in the middle of the floor and to the existing offside rear panel so I can get a cargo net to hold all the boat kit in place.

It has air rear suspension and there is control just inside the rear door to drop it fully to the stops for easy loading which really helps. Also it was factory fitted from new with a second battery, split charging, five 12v outlets in the rear and additional roof reading lights running off the second battery so ideal for this not quite a camper use.

It's purpose is all about the space for leisure/boating use but I'm glad I found a V6... what a peach of an engine.

Completed a major service and all looking good so far.

The coast is beckoning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viano delivered.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	137586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seating 2 plus 2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	137587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elling loaded in Viano.jpg