Old 27 July 2004, 19:37   #1

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Launch Vehicles (again ... oh no!!!)

After lots of excellent advice from members of this forum, it seems that I need to buy a large 4 x 4 (for an 8.5 Scorpion) with an automatic gearbox.

Given the attractive deals currently available on the last of the MkII "Discos", I had almost decided upon the TD5 Landmark Discovery. But then I noticed in June's "What Car" that it took 30.1 seconds to get to 60mph! Oh dear! How am I going to live with that???

I immediately started looking for alternatives and narrowed my search down to a Jeep Grand Cherokee (Overland). Wow! This car is fantastic!

According to the salesman (OK, perhaps not the most reliable source of info) it has a Mercedes engine, and is built at the Daimler factory in Austria. It was also voted 4 x 4 Car of the Year in 2002. As if this is not enough, it also develops more torque than the Disco's 220 ft lbs (both are diesel models, Jeep develops 283 ft lbs at lower revs). Both can tow 3.5 Tonnes.

IMHO, the interior gives Jaguar a run for its money and is instantly comfortable. My wife loves it!

I have since discovered that the magazine had printed the fuel consumption where the 0-60 should have been but it is probably just as well, as I may not have looked elsewhere, had it not been for this mistake.

OK, so if the car is this good, why aren't there many more RIBsters driving them instead of other large 4 x 4's?

What haven't they told me ???

Chris.

P.S. Test Drive's on Saturday.
Old 27 July 2004, 20:10   #2

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Murray
After lots of excellent advice from members of this forum, it seems that I need to buy a large 4 x 4 (for an 8.5 Scorpion) with an automatic gearbox.

Given the attractive deals currently available on the last of the MkII "Discos", I had almost decided upon the TD5 Landmark Discovery. But then I noticed in June's "What Car" that it took 30.1 seconds to get to 60mph! Oh dear! How am I going to live with that???

I immediately started looking for alternatives and narrowed my search down to a Jeep Grand Cherokee (Overland). Wow! This car is fantastic!

According to the salesman (OK, perhaps not the most reliable source of info) it has a Mercedes engine, and is built at the Daimler factory in Austria. It was also voted 4 x 4 Car of the Year in 2002. As if this is not enough, it also develops more torque than the Disco's 220 ft lbs (both are diesel models, Jeep develops 283 ft lbs at lower revs). Both can tow 3.5 Tonnes.

IMHO, the interior gives Jaguar a run for its money and is instantly comfortable. My wife loves it!

I have since discovered that the magazine had printed the fuel consumption where the 0-60 should have been but it is probably just as well, as I may not have looked elsewhere, had it not been for this mistake.

OK, so if the car is this good, why aren't there many more RIBsters driving them instead of other large 4 x 4's?

What haven't they told me ???

Chris.

P.S. Test Drive's on Saturday.
I am loving my Disco for the money I paid, 3K with 130k on the clock, I can get nearly 600 miles on £55 worth of diesel and claim the VAT back on top of that as well. 0-60 in my machine not as slow as 30 seconds, dont know what What Car were up to, driving it up a hill maybe?

Glad to hear you found a good machine anyway.
Old 27 July 2004, 20:14   #3

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
if you think landrover service cost are high wait until the warrenty runs out on the grandcherokee. all so when you go to sell it on you would have to had your rib as part of the package to drum any intrest at all

we had two at work after three years no one wants them at all we could not even get close to the classes part ex price

its up to you how much of your cash you want to bin

not saying the disco is better its just aimed at a diffent market

the grand cherokee is a range rover wannbe in its dreams

i should add as my name Daniel TD5 i did own a disco TD5 GS7 and it fell apart
like all landrover seem to i now own a ford fiesta TCDI and a company
mitsubishi L200 fourlife

dan
Old 27 July 2004, 20:19   #4

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
Having had a Landrover and now at the moment owning a Cherokee (the littler version) I couldn't honestly say one was better than the other.
Landrover- breaks down lot and pretty poor ride quality but parts are cheap and available and pretty long lasting and robust.
Jeep - expensive to service, parts hard to get and expensive. Good ride quality and very reliable.
They both have their good and bad points and I couldn't really say which one I would pick over the other next time
Old 27 July 2004, 20:24   #5

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Murray
They don't drive Porsche Cayennes or VW Touaregs either, but that's nothing to do with the integrity of the vehicles. The Discovery and Defender will always sell on the back of the Land Rover badge and residuals will therefore always outperform those of the Grand Cherokee. And the 2.7l Mercedes diesel in the Jeep is a tad thirstier than the TD5, it must be said. But don't let that put you off, the Grand Cherokee is a magnificent 4x4, and rightly trounced the Discovery in a recent Land Rover World magazine test (mind you, so did most of the others!). Beautifully appointed as you say, silky smooth diesel engine that outclasses the TD5 and far, far prettier than the Discovery will ever be. In V8 petrol engine configuration it's the 4x4 I would have bought if I hadn't fallen in love with the new Range Rover and I have to admit I think it looks even better than my RR.

The salesman's right, it's built in the DaimlerChrysler factory in Graz, Austria, originally the Steyr Daimler Puch factory which made the Pinzgauer 4x4 and Mercedes G-Wagon, and even the transmissions for the Freelander! They also make the Chrysler Voyagers there, too.

I'll be surprised if you don't buy one after your test drive, but I'd definitely go for the Overland for the higher spec. You won't regret it

ps. never mind all this depreciation and servicing cost business - if you've got enough spondoolies for a new 8.5m Scorp and a new Overland frankly that's the last of your worries. Money is to be spent and enjoyed if it's there and you're clearly a chap who appreciates style - buy the bloody Jeep because every time you see one passing you you and your wife will wish you had

We await the input of Codprawn who will undoubtedly tell us that Jeeps are garbage and that the Discovery TD5 is the best lifestyle 4x4 in existence.
Old 27 July 2004, 20:42   #6

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
ps. never mind all this depreciation and servicing cost business - if you've got enough spondoolies for a new 8.5m Scorp and a new Overland frankly that's the last of your worries. Money is to be spent and enjoyed if it's there and you're clearly a chap who appreciates style - buy the bloody Jeep because every time you see one passing you you and your wife will wish you had
spoken by a true british chap that will lose more money on his rangerover than most mear commen folk will have to buy a new car

defender now that dirty talk

dan
Old 27 July 2004, 20:49   #7

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Yes, you're probably right there Dan, but hey, shit happens, dude. Have to admit, if I had kids etc. to worry about there's no way in Chrisendom I'd have bought an RR I've always had a healthy disdain for money anyway!

Now if you'll excuse me, I really must get on with cleaning the barrels of my Purdey
Old 27 July 2004, 20:59   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
I do not know what your budget is, but I have just bougt a Nissan Navara double cab, 2.5tdi and really pleased with it, it pulls like a train, I have towed a 7.5m Bombard out of the water, and for those who know the Lee on Solent slip way at low tide it becomes a rock slipway, to get the boat on the trailer I had to reverse the trailer off the edge about 6 to 9" drop and pulling the boat over the lip was effort less. I get about 380miles to £55 worth not towing and about 320 towing and that's not pussy footing around either.

Plus you can still get four people in it and throw any of your wet gear in the back etc plus is really usefull for transferring people into the rib cos they just climb in the back of the truck then into the rib.

It can be a bit bouncy occasionally but you tend to get used to it. It still has all the modcons you get any other 4x4 such as Climate, 6 Cd Changer, Elec Windows etc.

Any way hope this helps, no I don't work for Nissan, good luck.
Old 27 July 2004, 21:36   #9

Town: cheshire
Boat name: Magpie
Length: 5m +
Engine: 55hp yam
30.6 secs must be a misprint surly.

Nick.
Old 28 July 2004, 01:07   #10

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjaxe
30.6 secs must be a misprint surly.

Nick.
Yes he did say that they did a misprint and it was mpg!
Old 28 July 2004, 07:13   #11

Town: Tiverton
I had a Discovery TD5 and thought it was superb until the engine blew up when it got to 3 1/2 years old and 95,000 miles. Warranty was up and I took the bill on the chin. I have since learnt that there is a common problem with them!

I swapped it for a Nissan Patrol. It is awsome. 2 1/2 years old and I got it at good money. It has every thing on it and is generally a far better car than the Discovery. I tow big loads frequently and it is in a different league to the Disco. It has a 3.0L TD Intercooler and is pretty good on fuel. I don't know the stats but its only fault is acceleration.
Old 28 July 2004, 07:22   #12

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
..... Steyr Daimler Puch factory which made the Pinzgauer 4x4 and Mercedes G-Wagon, and even the transmissions for the Freelander! They also make the Chrysler Voyagers there, too.
....and the ultimate 4X4.. the mighty Panda!.. actually a brilliant little car...
Old 28 July 2004, 07:24   #13

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Panda

Jono....was'nt this one called the Puch???
Old 28 July 2004, 07:27   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Yep I'd agree with you! The only 4 x 4 I covet is David Mannings old Patrol. It goes on and on and on,,,,,a bit like the missus!

I also had a Tooper that I thought was really good and super reliable but the constant immersiono the slipway dissolved it. It know leads an interesting new life on a retirement home for badly treated 4 x 4's

I also have a Disco and a 110., my favourite is the 110 but I have found the Disco reliable considering the abuse it gets.

but for towing a Patrol or Landcruiser every time
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2004, 07:35   #15

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
I used to have a 90CSW 300tdi, apart from the lack of comfort it was a great tow vehicle. Have had a TD5 disco for last 2 years, not 100% with it even though had it superchipped!!
Going back to a 90 soon hopefully.

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2004, 07:59   #16

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
RibRaff,

Fiat banged out a 4 wheel drive Panda sometimes called the Sisley, cute little thing bit like my girl friends Lada Hussar but Italian

Now the ultimate gross out motor for the RIBster who, even if bankrupt would still have more money than sense has to be the Lincoln Navigator what a beast.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2004, 08:09   #17

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
For what it's worth, I bought a cheap 97 Discovery 4.0 V8 a couple of years ago and to my utter amazement nothings ever gone wrong with it.
It's great for towing and launching the Rib and quite fast, but heavy on petrol.
Old 28 July 2004, 08:33   #18

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw
For what it's worth, I bought a cheap 97 Discovery 4.0 V8 a couple of years ago and to my utter amazement nothings ever gone wrong with it.
....you forgot to add YET !!!!

Old 28 July 2004, 08:43   #19

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
You really need one of these:

http://www.lynchhummer.com/Custom.html

Might be a tad thirsty tho and will certainly fill the slipways!!
Old 28 July 2004, 09:12   #20

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Ok.. that brings us full circle..time for some trivia.. who drives a Hummer... was born by the Steyr-Daimler-Puch factory... and can never, despite his marriage, become president?......