Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Fanbelts and warning lights?

Hi all.

Had the wonderful experiance of putting two new fanbelts on my 3.2TD LWB Shogun in Sainsburys carpark last night on my way home from work.

looks like one belt had been off for a while, and the other had shredded itself and wrapped around the aircon belt idler/tensioner pulley.
For those that don't know the 3.2 has a pair of identical belts/pulleys alongside each other, I presume as a back-up etc.

luckily I carry some tools in the car and managed to persuade Mrs Nasher to go to Halfords who amazingly had them in stock.

Of course I had to loosen off the Aircon idler/tensioner and remove the belt before contemplating putting the fanbelts on, as they sit behind the aircon belt on the crank pulley. Luckily the wait for the belts allowed the engine to cool down a bit so I could reach down between the radiator and block to work.

The state of my work shirt didn't go down very well with the washing fairy though!

the main reason for this post is to ask if anyone knows why when the belt went, I ended up with not only the charging warning light on, but also the oil level and fuel filter warning lamps lit????

Perhaps they like a full charge going into the system to work.

Nasher.
Old 08 May 2008, 23:26   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Perhaps they like a full charge going into the system to work.
QUite possibly-there's a few dash lights on mine that don't go out after startup til I blip the engine up to 800 rpm and the alternator cuts in.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2008, 01:25   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
It happened to me once - it's a bitch getting all the bits of string out of the pulleys. It didn't help I was towing a heavy trailer up a steep hill in heavy traffic in roadworks either..........

It turned out that the power steering pump pulley was gradually working it's way forwards - the pump worked fine but the pulley kept moving - very strange. The belt would run on the edge of the pulley which is what caused it to shred.

Have a look at your belts when the engine is running and make sure it's running nice and straight. There could be some damage or wobble on a pulley.

Having said that serpentine belts are a pain and go far more often than old style belts - they just used to slip when stressed!!!
Old 09 May 2008, 11:15   #4

Hi

Its actually two old style V belts running in twin groove pulleys alongside each other, and they are not very long either, about a foot in diameter if layed out. They only go around the crank, the fan and the alternator.
All very old style technology.

Despite the reasonably new design and relative sophistication of the engine, it also has a Chain driving the camshaft rather than a belt, which is good in my opinion.

I'm wondering if the fan pulley is driving something else behind the front cover which caused the Oil level light to come on, although I'd be very surprised if its running the oil pump itself.

Can't think of any logical reason why the fuel filter warning light would come on, as its to indicate the water trap is full, or the filter is blocked.

I'm amazed there is redundancy built in, unless of course losing one is such a common thing.

Also amazed Halfords had them on the shelf.

Nasher
Old 09 May 2008, 17:11   #5

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I think two belts are used because of the load rather than a failsafe , ie one belt alone would slip.

When one belt goes it often takes the other one out . maybe it had had just one belt renewed at some time .
Is it a freewheeling type fan (viscouse coupling) they do suddenly load up when they cut in .
Old 09 May 2008, 19:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I think two belts are used because of the load rather than a failsafe , ie one belt alone would slip.

When one belt goes it often takes the other one out . maybe it had had just one belt renewed at some time .
Is it a freewheeling type fan (viscouse coupling) they do suddenly load up when they cut in .
Ian

Hi, yes its a Viscous coupling type fan, I'm sure both belts were there from new as I've had it from a few months old. 117K miles and nearly 6 years, so they haven't done bad really.

Nasher.
Old 09 May 2008, 20:07   #7

Town: Fareham
The two belts are for coping with the expected loads. Large industrial air compessors have multiple belts too. I think they use V style drive belts because they are more available and hence cheaper than something that would be custom made.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2008, 21:03   #8

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Ian

Hi, yes its a Viscous coupling type fan, I'm sure both belts were there from new as I've had it from a few months old. 117K miles and nearly 6 years, so they haven't done bad really.

Nasher.

Not bad , its a miracle , just shows how well the japs build and design stuff .